sara2010

Tax issue again

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Our interview is Jan 29.I made an appointment for January 5 with a tax preparer to prepare my tax for 2010.I only worked 6-7 months which is a total income of $9000-10000 for 6 months. Is this OK or I must show income for 12 months to be around $18000? Also what type of form(w2 or anything else) it should be? As long as I get my income tax return it does not maters the type of form?

Edited by sara2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

http://liheap.ncat.org/profiles/povertytables/FY2010/popstate.htm

Have to be at 125% of the poverty level, if you have children they are included even if they dont live with you, not so sure about the kid thing but someone will correct me if im wrong.

I-129F Sent : 2010-07-17

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-07-23

Touch: 2010-08-02

Touch: 2010-10-03

NOA2: 2010-01-10

Interview: 2011-02-08 - Approved

Visa Printed: 2011-02-10

Sent to 2Go: 2011-02-14 (scheduled for noon delivery as per consulate)

Pckup @ 2Go: 2011-02-15 (Will hold at routing Hub for same day pick up)

POE (LAX): 2011-02-16

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Our interview is Jan 29.I made an appointment for January 5 with a tax preparer to prepare my tax for 2010.I only worked 6-7 months which is a total income of $9000-10000 for 6 months. Is this OK or I must show income for 12 months to be around $18000? Also what type of form(w2 or anything else) it should be? As long as I get my income tax return it does not maters the type of form?

Have you ever filed a tax return before? It doesn't sound like you understand how it works. :blush:

A W2 is a form you get from an employer stating how much money you were paid, and how much was deducted for various taxes. Employers are required to send a W2 to you before the end of January, and many wait until the last week of the month to send them. If you had a regular job (i.e., not self-employed) then the chances of your employer getting your W2 to you by January 5th is very low. You do NOT fill out your own W2 form. You wait until you receive it from your employer.

The W2 is one of the documents you might use to prepare a tax return. If the tax return is being mailed to the IRS (rather than submitted electronically) then you would also include copies of your W2 with the tax return forms you send to the IRS. A W2, by itself, is NOT a tax return. A tax return always consists of at least one of the IRS 1040 forms, plus any other forms you are required to submit (schedule A, perhaps), and any supporting documents you are require to submit (like W2's, 1099's, and 1098's). The most commonly used primary tax return forms are the 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ.

The consulate is going to look at the "total income" on a 1040 or 1040A, or the "adjusted gross income" on a 1040EZ. The form will NOT say how many months of the year you worked, so the consulate will not know if the income represents a full or partial year of income. If you're presuming they'll be able to determine how much you would have made if you'd worked the full year, then you're presuming wrong. They won't know this from looking at your tax return. If your tax return comes up short then you're going to need pay stubs or other evidence to prove your current income, on an annual basis, is high enough to qualify.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

I am pretty much in the exact situation here. What JimVaPhuong said was good. It would be good to prove two things:

1. that you are currently making above the federal poverty guidelines annually. This is the most important. Since you will not have a tax return to entirely prove this you should have an employment letter, bank statements, statement from the bank officer, etc.

2. that you were paid that much in 6 months. This requires your bank statements and a possible letter of explanation. You may want to state in your letter why you were not working before those 6 months. Were you a student, a missionary, a volunteer worker?

With all this, the CO should be able to realize that you will be making adequate income. If you are involved in a high-risk fraud country like the Philippines or Morocco be VERY careful and present everything needed in a very easy to understand and clear way for the CO. It may be good to investigate what the consulate in your country focuses on. It varies from country to country.

In addition you probably do not want that early January date for your taxes. Most likely you won't have your W2's by then. But of course once you have them, file as soon as possible and then request your tax transcript.

9/9/10: I-129F Sent

9/15/10: Received NOA1 via text/email from USCIS

9/16/10: Received NOA1 in mail (dated 9/13/10)

9/20/10: Touched!

10/03/10: Touched to the dusty shelves!

2/28/11: NOA2 finally

3/04/11: Arrived at NVC

3/08/11: Left NVC and arrived at CDJ consulate

4/04/11: Packet 3 sent

4/13/11: Packet 3 received!

4/18/11: Medical Exam

4/19/11: ASC

4/20/11: Interview (Approved!)

4/29/11: K-1 Visa in hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4/30/11: Entered USA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.