bobtrann

If you can't stand the heat and humid saigon

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

For those of you who wants to visit your Viet wife or fiancee but can't stand the stiffling heat and humidity of Saigon or the south, may I suggest you take a trip to Dalat. Dalat is a very beautiful and cool mountanous town 5 hrs drive from Saigon. The impression I get of the place is similar to northern Cali but more green or a chillier hawaii. I was in Dalat in Feb and never sweat at all the whole time I was there. Unfortunately, Dalat has an unbelievable amount of flies...they're everywhere even in the fancy restaurants. Also, I saw a tour bus fall off the ditch...so the trip could be very exciting indeed.

Timeline

Ride horses in the "Valley of Love" gardens. Lots of fun. :thumbs:

The guys who lead the horses will take pictures of your ride. I had my guide take some pictures with my camera, as well. After the ride, they take the pictures to the souvenir booth where you can have souvenirs printed with the pictures you select. We had a couple of coffee cups made with the attached picture (taken on my camera).

Also, if you aren't into the long cab ride from Saigon, there is a Da Lat airport. It's in the valley below the mountain, but it's only a half hour taxi ride to the city. The flight from Saigon is less than 1/2 an hour.

post-64523-0-84508100-1293037297_thumb.jpg

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Ride horses in the "Valley of Love" gardens. Lots of fun. :thumbs:

The guys who lead the horses will take pictures of your ride. I had my guide take some pictures with my camera, as well. After the ride, they take the pictures to the souvenir booth where you can have souvenirs printed with the pictures you select. We had a couple of coffee cups made with the attached picture (taken on my camera).

Also, if you aren't into the long cab ride from Saigon, there is a Da Lat airport. It's in the valley below the mountain, but it's only a half hour taxi ride to the city. The flight from Saigon is less than 1/2 an hour.

Thung Lung Tinh Yeu, and Ho Thang Tho.

I-130 Journey

USCIS

06-15-2008 : Marriage

08-16-2008 : I-130 Sent

08-18-2008 : I-130 Received

08-22-2008 : I-130 NOA1

02-02-2009 : I-130 NOA2 Approved 164 days from NOA1

NVC

02-04-2009 : Visited my wife for 2 weeks. 02-22-2009 come back to US

02-11-2009 : Received package from NVC

02-23-2009 : AOS Paid $70 (Online)

02-23-2009 : DS-3032 sent (by email)

02-25-2009 : Payment Received from my bank (AOS)

03-04-2009 : NVC has received the Choice of Agent DS-3032 (Online)

03-04-2009 : IV Application Processing Fees $400 (Online)

03-05-2009 : Payment Received from my bank (IV APS)

03-07-2009 : DS-230, and I-864 Sent (by USPS)

03-12-2009 : USPS confirm arrived at NVC for DS-230, & I-864

03-13-2009 : NVC received DS-230, & I-864 (Case in progress)

03-20-2009 : NVC case completed in 1 week NVC completed 03-20-2009.

04-02-2009 : NVC Left to HCM city

04-22-2009 : Medical Passed

05-12-2009 : Received a package IV from HCM Consulate by email

05-18-2009 : My wife got Pink.. yeah..

05-26-2009 : Visa received

06-18-2009 : US Entry!!! Yeah, my wife finally here.

06-29-2009 : Received SSN from snail mail

07-20-2009 : Green card received by mail

09-15-2009 : Writting test from DVM.

11-03-2009 : Driving Test.

01-20-2010 : Working.

04-20-2011 : Submit I751

04-26-2011 : Received I-797 NOA with Receipt Number

05-11-2011 : Received ASC Appointment Notice

06-03-2011 : Biometrics Apts @ 11:00 AM

10-11-2011 : Submit more evidence.

• 5 months later...
Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Da Lat was really nice just this last April, but one word of warning--don't forget the sunscreen. :)

I chillaxed a bit too much and got a nasty sunburn. Very sunny despite the mile temperatures, 70 degrees or so all day. Great place though! Lots to see and do. We did Prenn, Bao Dai's Palace, Datanla--just to name a few things. The produce is top notch. Wine is a big draw amongst the locals-usually decent, cheap and plentiful. Got a few bottles-including some persimmon "wine" that I didn't notice until I got home was 35%! It was a good enough liqueur, but certainly not what I expected. :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Will be in dalat in 3 weeks... :thumbs:

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

i'm going against the grain here, but for me and my family dalat is overrated. it's not THAT cool, temp still in the 80's...and not that beautiful. maybe we just hit all the wrong spots (prenn, thung lung tinh yeu, all the touristy spots etc). been there twice and wasn't impressed either time. driving around the city and seeing some french colonial architecture and home designs was cool tho.

vung tau still my favorite city. beach town with a relaxing atmosphere with HCM only an hour+ away.

K-1, CRBA, AOS, GC

Timeline

i'm going against the grain here, but for me and my family dalat is overrated. it's not THAT cool, temp still in the 80's...and not that beautiful. maybe we just hit all the wrong spots (prenn, thung lung tinh yeu, all the touristy spots etc). been there twice and wasn't impressed either time. driving around the city and seeing some french colonial architecture and home designs was cool tho.

vung tau still my favorite city. beach town with a relaxing atmosphere with HCM only an hour+ away.

I liked Sapa more than Vung tau.. temps were chilly last time we were there and it was much like northern Italy..

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Timeline

Very touresty and crowded, but still a wonderful place. I spent four magical days there in 2006 and would LOVE to spend more time. The weather is fantastic. Perfect for me.

I could only laugh slackjawed at the people in the morning, wearing heavy winter coats, harts and gloves.

Meanwhile I was in pants or shorts and a t-shirt.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Count me in the DaLat is overrated camp. I can see the attraction if you're from the south. Cooler temps, etc.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

never been to sapa. going to sapa means i have to stop by hanoi, which i don't like for various reasons. i'm a southern vietnamese guy at heart.

You don't know what you're missin... :thumbs:

I agree that Dalat is a little bit cooler but it's over-rated these days.

Mar 2009: Met online

May 2009: First trip to VN to see her

Aug 2009: Proposed

Sep 2009: Proposal accepted

Oct 2009: Affidavit of Single obtained

Dec 2009: Second trip to VN for marriage

Jan 2010: Married

Feb 2010: Filed CR1

Mar 2010: Third trip to VN

Apr 2010: Approval notice from USCIS

Jul 2010: IV & AOS fees paid

Feb 2011: Fourth trip to VN... our first anniversary

Apr 2011: Interview... asking for timeline, 10 year residency, ex's address, etc.

May 2011: Submission of requested documents. Pink!

Jun 2011: Fifth trip to VN to travel with her to the States.

mHPbp7.png

Beauty is in the eyes of the beer-holder!

Timeline

You don't know what you're missin... :thumbs:

i've spent a little time in hanoi on my first trip back in '04 and also ha long bay and passed through noi bai this last time. hanoi is fine, i just don't like the people there. the southerners view the northern mass as more calculating, 2-faced, and ruthless. from my experience interacting with them i'd tend to agree.

of course as it works out my fiancee is northern :bonk: ...thanh hoa to be specific. saw a sign in HCM recently when i was there, "Accepting work resumes, Thanh Hoa people need not apply" :) Hai Phong and Thanh Hoa people have bad reps.

K-1, CRBA, AOS, GC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.