baron555

Remember Chris M and Tanya?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Just received a PM from Chris saying that Tanya did go to the rescheduled interview today and was approved!!!!!

And....she successfully completed the medical yesterday.

So all ended up well.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Just received a PM from Chris saying that Tanya did go to the rescheduled interview today and was approved!!!!!

And....she successfully completed the medical yesterday.

So all ended up well.

Good news! We are a skeptical lot in the RUB (because we know too well how things usually work. Nice to see that Capt. Sully was able to land that plane after all! :rofl: Congrats, Chris and Tanya!!!

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Now, tell him to get her over here and marry before the 31th to take advantage of tax credits for '10.

That is going to work right?

They won't know until they book the flight (on the 30th) :lol:

Congratulations to both!

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Timeline

Thanks all.

Got a text at 0450 this morning, and gave Tanya a call. All went well, but I'm sure we will go in to depth a little more when she returns home to Kemerovo. Tanya had told me about a month ago she would want to come over in February or early March. I thought the same at this point especially since the holidays are upon us now, and there's not much to do here in the winter months of Pittsburgh anyway, so it could def work out perfectly, but I also would not be surprised if she said she wants to be here in a month too. I'd love to have her tomorrow, but I also think her fmaily is important too.

but what about this tax credit? I know when you get married your taxes change, but is there some other incentive in 2010 like buying energy saving windows or a Energy Star approved clothes washer? Of course the money would be great to get, but I don't want to rush her, and family is important to me too, so whatever she wants to do is fine with me. but how much money we talkin'? ha ha

so what airlines, or ideas have you all used to get your loved ones here? Any sites i should look at, rather than the regular Orbitz, Expedia, Kayak, etc...???

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm not an expert on taxes or anything. I just fiddled with my 2009 taxes. I logged back in and changed my filing from single/no dependents to married/joint to see what my taxes would be like.

Of course she will have 0 income for the year so you have 2 people on your filing. Instead of owing money like I do each year, I would net $4-5k. Thats why I say to get her over here and marry. But the amount back varies with income. I think a new immigrant would qualify, hopefully someone else can chime in.

You can even go to turbotax now and input your 2009 numbers, just use a different name an SS to get an idea.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

we got married on Dec 31 of last year and the extra selectors incl a child helped our return a lot.

But yes don't rush it. I can think of many things you two could during the winter, even in Pittsburg???!!!!!!

We use SAS only because they had the shortest connect times and POE here into Chicago.

I use SkyScanner.com.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

ChrisM,

Don't get married for tax purposes. That never really works out. But, you might want to check this site to see what energy credits are still available for 2010. http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=tax_credits.tx_index

As far as the changes in tax law, the benefit of being married is going away unless congress acts to bring back the marriage penalty relief. Starting in 2011, unless changed, two single people do better than a married couple in tax tables, standard deduction, etc.

The Bush tax cuts were due to expire in 2011 and return everything back to 2001 levels. So, congress can do nothing and get a tax increase. I think congress is pretty good at doing nothing. :rofl:

I would be surprised if she left before New Years considering how big that holiday is for them. Congratulations and best of luck the remainder of the way. It is a good journey for sure and the really great stuff is coming to your home soon. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

If the marraige benefit is going away, more reason to do it sooner rather than later :lol:

He already spent a good sum on airfare this year. Let uncle sam pickup the POE fare and marriage fees.

She will have plenty of time during this month to see everyone she needs to see.

It's not a huge difference but if you pay all year as a single dude then file as a married dude, you'll get a lot more back.

Definitely not worth getting married over, but a benefit if you're going to get married anyway. After that first year... the benefits kind of go away and you end up paying back everything anyway. Like having kids for tax reasons, wives are more expensive in the long run.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It's not a huge difference but if you pay all year as a single dude then file as a married dude, you'll get a lot more back.

Definitely not worth getting married over, but a benefit if you're going to get married anyway. After that first year... the benefits kind of go away and you end up paying back everything anyway. Like having kids for tax reasons, wives are more expensive in the long run.

Slim, you're definitely right that the more years you file jointly, the less taxes you will pay. But your statement that the benefits go away after the first year is from a somewhat crooked perspective. Yes, after the first year your tax refund will be smaller. But that's just because the amount of withholdings throughout the year will be less because you filed your W-4 as married for the whole year and so each of your pay checks was a little bit bigger. The effect of marriage on your total tax liability is the same whether you've been married for 1 day or 50 years.

People just like using the federal tax system as a 0% savings account. I suppose if it keeps you from spending the money, it may be a decent financial tool to use against your own overspending habits.

I wasn't talking about taxes. I'm saying the wife will find a way to spend all that money - and then some!

Like the guys who say having kids (which get you what, $3,500?) is a good way to save money. Um, I'm pretty sure kids cost more than that every year.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Slim, you're definitely right that the more years you file jointly, the less taxes you will pay. But your statement that the benefits go away after the first year is from a somewhat crooked perspective. Yes, after the first year your tax refund will be smaller. But that's just because the amount of withholdings throughout the year will be less because you filed your W-4 as married for the whole year and so each of your pay checks was a little bit bigger. The effect of marriage on your total tax liability is the same whether you've been married for 1 day or 50 years.

People just like using the federal tax system as a 0% savings account. I suppose if it keeps you from spending the money, it may be a decent financial tool to use against your own overspending habits.

Slim is also saying that having your taxes taken out as a single person but filing as married creates a nice tax refund. And considering that the banks aren't paying any interest anyway, why not let the government hold your money. The refund will pay for a nice vacation, new appliance or more clothes for the wife, and who knows, you might get part of it too. :rofl: :rofl:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.