fuzzypinkboots

Starting CR-1 process........sigh

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance and I were planning our wedding in April 2011 until we looked at the timeline for completion of my visa (he is American, I am Canadian--we live in our respective countries but are only 20 minutes apart). Sooooo, long story short, we called a wedding commissioner in Canada and had her meet us at Santa's workshop in the local mall where we "eloped"! We are waiting for our marriage certificate to arrive in the mail so we can send off our petition with all the documentation asap and get this ball rolling. (We still plan to have a "wedding" in April and are trying to keep our actually marriage a secret from most of our family so they are not too upset with us for eloping :blush: )

Once we do this (hopefully as soon as next Monday) we will need to show more difinitively my "strong ties" to Canada when I cross the border which I do on most weekends. Unfortunately, my lease agreement expires January 31/11 at which time I will be month-to-month (does not look like very "strong ties") and I'm currently unemployed (my former husband passed away and I am living on his pension and insurance money). I plan to start working in January which I believe will help establish my ties to Canada but in the meantime, is it enough to show copies of our submitted petition--to prove that we are going about this process the right/legal way? Are there other documents I can show? I want to avoid being denied entry if at all possible.

I know I will have many more questions as we go through this. This website has been so incredibly helpful so far! I intend to spend a lot more time reading all your stories and advice. Thank you everyone for saving me the lawyers fees that we were planning to spend!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As someone who was denied entry, I know how terrible it is. So anything you can do to show ties - the better. Do you have a lease on a car? Utility bills in your name? What about receipts or cheques to show you pay rent at the same place as the lease? Do you have any up coming events (I've used doctor's apt. cards, an invite to a wedding as ties in the past)? Perhaps showing you are receiving pension payments at your address will also help. A return ticket is essential (obviously).

Also, NEVER lie to CBP. Ensure you tell them the truth of everything. Carrying a copy of your packet is always a good idea

good luck

PS - congrats on your new marriage.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Welcome! You already seem well infomred on the need for strong ties during the process. It sounds like you also have a strong history of visiting each other often. I think even if your lease is month to month, still bring it - it shows you are planning on returning...they may not ask whtehr it's month to month or yearly anyway.

I invite you to reveiw the timelines for Cdn CR1's currently to get an idea of what your own timeline will be.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

My fiance and I were planning our wedding in April 2011 until we looked at the timeline for completion of my visa (he is American, I am Canadian--we live in our respective countries but are only 20 minutes apart). Sooooo, long story short, we called a wedding commissioner in Canada and had her meet us at Santa's workshop in the local mall where we "eloped"! We are waiting for our marriage certificate to arrive in the mail so we can send off our petition with all the documentation asap and get this ball rolling. (We still plan to have a "wedding" in April and are trying to keep our actually marriage a secret from most of our family so they are not too upset with us for eloping :blush: )

Once we do this (hopefully as soon as next Monday) we will need to show more difinitively my "strong ties" to Canada when I cross the border which I do on most weekends. Unfortunately, my lease agreement expires January 31/11 at which time I will be month-to-month (does not look like very "strong ties") and I'm currently unemployed (my former husband passed away and I am living on his pension and insurance money). I plan to start working in January which I believe will help establish my ties to Canada but in the meantime, is it enough to show copies of our submitted petition--to prove that we are going about this process the right/legal way? Are there other documents I can show? I want to avoid being denied entry if at all possible.

I know I will have many more questions as we go through this. This website has been so incredibly helpful so far! I intend to spend a lot more time reading all your stories and advice. Thank you everyone for saving me the lawyers fees that we were planning to spend!!!

Congrats on getting married. The more you bring the better. Bring all your noa's/a copy of your documents for immigration,lease,phone,utilities,car lease,even letters from friends and family. Anything that is recent and has your address, I was lucky to never have much of a problem but it does happen. You seem prepared so :)

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

Thanks so much! My lease agreement actually has the date of expiry when it switches over to month-to-month. I may try to get a notice from the property management stating that they have a series of post-dated checks on file for me. I have all my utility bills in my name and can produce proof of my income that will hopefully make a difference to the border guards. canadian_wife, when you were denied entry, what did you need to do to be allowed back in? How long did that take? What were the circumstances, if you don't mind me asking?

Timeline

I don't mind at all, if I minded - I would not have mentioned it.

My 1st denial was lack of ties to Canada. I, like many Canadians, took for granted how easy it had been for me to cross in the past and assumed it would be as easy moving forward. I brought HEAPS of ties to Canada (and I mean absolutly everything I could possibly think of - letters from friends/family, those doctor's apt. cards I mentioned, the wedding invite, and the VERY specific reason I had to return to the US). I was thankfully admitted after a grueling process and after threats of being charged with fraud if I didn't tell the truth (which of course I was). The 2nd time was suspicion of immigrant intent because I was married to a USC (obviously! We had started the Cr-1 process and they could tell before I told them we had filed). I didn't try after that because no piont in trying to cross as a non-immigrant when you've been labeled as having immigrant intent.

Go prepared, you'll be fine. However, no guarentee of entry

Good luck

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Timeline

I don't mind at all, if I minded - I would not have mentioned it.

My 1st denial was lack of ties to Canada. I, like many Canadians, took for granted how easy it had been for me to cross in the past and assumed it would be as easy moving forward. I brought HEAPS of ties to Canada (and I mean absolutly everything I could possibly think of - letters from friends/family, those doctor's apt. cards I mentioned, the wedding invite, and the VERY specific reason I had to return to the US). I was thankfully admitted after a grueling process and after threats of being charged with fraud if I didn't tell the truth (which of course I was). The 2nd time was suspicion of immigrant intent because I was married to a USC (obviously! We had started the Cr-1 process and they could tell before I told them we had filed). I didn't try after that because no piont in trying to cross as a non-immigrant when you've been labeled as having immigrant intent.

Go prepared, you'll be fine. However, no guarentee of entry

Good luck

This weekend, the CBP questioned my ability to pay my lease and day to day bills. When I explained my situation (pension/life insurance from deceased husband...all information which I'm sure she had access to from notes made on my file over the past few months)she warned that crossing without enough strong ties could get me flagged. We crossed the border and then said to each other..."well, i guess that means we've been flagged now!" My next attempt at crossing will be Friday so we'll see what happens! I'll bring letters, bills, lease, and whatever else I can put together!! I won't be bringing my oldest dtr with me so maybe a letter from my mom (who will have her overnight) will help my situation too. It certainly IS easy to take the proximity of our 2 countries for granted though. I live 5 minutes from the border and used to just go get cheap gas every week and never got a second glance. Now its all changed and I get grilled endlessly each time I go for ANY reason. Will be nice when this process is done and I'm not "under suspicion" any longer.

Timeline

Keep us all posted

Good luck

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Timeline

Eloped in Santa's village sounds ADORABLE! Hopefully your family won't be too upset.

Keep working on your ties and maybe try to always cross at the same spot/time of day and hopefully they will get to know you. I know that happened to me. I had zero ties to Canada (just finished a contract, no job, living at my parents until Visa was approved), but we weren't married yet. I never had issues though so just be sure to always be honest and straight forward when you cross.

Welcome to the forum - you will find tons of helpful information and people here!

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

congrats on your marriage! :)

Echoing what everyone else has said - ties to Canada are definitely needed! Anything and everything you think can help!

Good luck!

May 25th, 2010 : Filed I-129F at CSC

June 1st, 2010 : NoA1

June 7th, 2010 : Touch

October 19th, 2010: Touch

October 20th, 2010: NoA2! (141 days)

November 8th, 2010: Received Packet 3 from Montreal

November 10th, 2010: Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

November 25th: Received Packet 4 & Scheduled interview!

March 8th, 2011: Interview in Montreal - Approved!

April 30th, 2011: Move to CA

May 6th, 2011: Married <3

May 31st, 2011: Filed AOS

June 6th, 2011: NoA1

June 13th, 2011: Received Notice for Biometrics

July 7th, 2011: Biometrics

August 22, 2011: AOS Interview - Approved!

August 29th, 2011: Greencard in hand!

Timeline

Thanks so much! My lease agreement actually has the date of expiry when it switches over to month-to-month. I may try to get a notice from the property management stating that they have a series of post-dated checks on file for me. I have all my utility bills in my name and can produce proof of my income that will hopefully make a difference to the border guards. canadian_wife, when you were denied entry, what did you need to do to be allowed back in? How long did that take? What were the circumstances, if you don't mind me asking?

Maybe you could extend the first time for 4 or 6 months? Honestly this process will probably take that long and then closer to the VISA interview switch to monthly.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

The 2nd time was suspicion of immigrant intent because I was married to a USC (obviously! We had started the Cr-1 process and they could tell before I told them we had filed). I didn't try after that because no piont in trying to cross as a non-immigrant when you've been labeled as having immigrant intent.

We were talking about this the other day, whether or not the border people know you had filed for a visa (i.e. IR1/CR1) without you telling them. My hubby comes down from Canada about once a month and always says he's just going shopping for the day, doesn't carry a bag with him, and they have never brought up the fact that he's filed for a visa. Just curious if anybody knows for sure...

Timeline

Do they know in every case? I have no idea. But they certainly knew in our case. I am not sure if that had anything to do with my previous denial of entry and I am tracked a little more than others, but before I could tell them they informed me they knew I had a petition sent on my behalf and I clearly had immigrant intent

Regardless, he should never lie to a CBP. If he is not going down just for the day to go shopping, I do not suggest he say that.

Good luck

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Filed: Timeline

Wow. I sure wouldn't take the chance of lying at the border. That can get you crazy consequences. As to whether they can see your information or not.... when you're in secondary they have the ability to do some digging. If you're hiding something, they will find it.

Congratulations on the marriage, Fuzzy! Hopefully you didn't marry in Ontario where it takes weeks to receive a copy of the marriage certificate.

iagree.gif

Timeline

Wow is right! I'm worried they'll think I'm lying when I'm telling the truth...I think the anxiety would kill me if I was intentionally lying at the border. Not worth the consequences. I'd think twice about that plan.

Thanks Krikit! We got married in BC. Should take about a week. The wedding commissioner said we should have our certificate by this Monday. I tell you though, I'm gonna miss living in Canada! Well, except for all the money we'll be saving with the cost of living being so much lower and, oh ya, NO HST!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.