Captain Oates

Second class Citizens

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Naturalized Citizens of the USA can never become President.

Some say that only a person born and raised in the US can have the strength of allegiance required.

So:

Which has the strongest sense of being raised in the US and being 100% American....

A A child who was born in Vietnam, came to the country as a 4 month old adoption and who was raised in Washington DC by his Senator adopted father.

B A Child who as born in Hawaii and raised partly in Indonesia ?

Is it worth changing the Constitution to make millions of Naturalized Citizens feel equal ?

If a majority of the population wanted and VOTED for a Naturalized Citizen, say Kissinger or Schwarzenegger, should their wishes be overridden ?

Should a majority of the population be denied their choice ?

My wife says it is too humid in Washington and she has barred from running anyway - but what of the others ?

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

Alan,

you are an intellectually aware guy; you may enjoy reading this:

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=134881

(Don't be turned off by the Obama reference; the article is quite interesting, regardless.)

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Alan,

you are an intellectually aware guy; you may enjoy reading this:

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=134881

(Don't be turned off by the Obama reference; the article is quite interesting, regardless.)

It's too complex for me but surely a kid born of a US parent abroad needs to apply for his citizenship in order for it to be recognized and effective. I would think it was the same in Britain and as Mr O was not the subject of such an application, he is not British as at now - but could be if he applied.

The kids who blew themselves up in London were British born. The Fort Hood shooter and Timothy McVeigh were US born. It proves nothing and the US would be better with Arnold who is not qualified rather than Major Nidal Hasan who is (was) qualified.

There is no such requirement for UK Prime Minister though he is not Head of State. Catholics cannot become Monarch.

In the interests of equality I think the UK should scrap it's 'No Catholics' rule and the US should scrap it's Natural Born rule.

After all, if an overwhelming majority of US Citizens want Arnold, why should they be denied their choice in favor of some semi-literate cod filleter with nice hair from Sucksville , Alaska ? (For a hypothetical example).

ps Obama's mothers line is from Yorkshire and that alone should be a fine commendation - whether or not he was smuggled in from Nairobi in a cat cage and dressed in a kitty suit (Don't tell Glen). He does look like a Huddersfield lad from some angles.

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Timeline

The Fort Hood shooter and Timothy McVeigh were US born. It proves nothing and the US would be better with Arnold who is not qualified rather than Major Nidal Hasan who is (was) qualified.

This is clearly true. Well, the good news is we have elections. Not everyone who is qualified gets to serve. The bad news? Our electorate.

Edited by \

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

A A child who was born in Vietnam, came to the country as a 4 month old adoption and who was raised in Washington DC by his Senator adopted father.

Neither.

US Presidents should not have *any* foreign ties. An Irish grandfather or Italian grandmother

should be enough to disqualify them from office.

Five generations of their ancestors must be born in America.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

Neither.

US Presidents should not have *any* foreign ties. An Irish grandfather or Italian grandmother

should be enough to disqualify them from office.

Five generations of their ancestors must be born in America.

Foreign born spouse ? President might not want to bomb their country ....

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

Absolutely not.

The President should breathe bottled air manufactured in the US so we know it hasn't been breathed by a foreigner first.

and ! US blood should not be sold or sent abroad - otherwise they might become exceptional like us

Edited by Alan the Red

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hawai'i is America. Let's not play the Fox News game and turn it into something foreign and/or exotic.

Hawaii is but Indonesia isn't.

I think your fear of FOX is clouding your reading on this one.

He simply drew a comparison between a child born abroad but raised here, to a child born here (Hawaii) and raised abroad.

Edited by Danno

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Naturalized Citizens of the USA can never become President.

Some say that only a person born and raised in the US can have the strength of allegiance required.

So:

Which has the strongest sense of being raised in the US and being 100% American....

Is it worth changing the Constitution to make millions of Naturalized Citizens feel equal ?

If a majority of the population wanted and VOTED for a Naturalized Citizen, say Kissinger or Schwarzenegger, should their wishes be overridden ?

Should a majority of the population be denied their choice ?

My wife says it is too humid in Washington and she has barred from running anyway - but what of the others ?

Sorry dude, we don't change the Constitution with a simple majority vote... and for good reason.

If we get to the place where we have to Outsource ... even our President, we are in serious trouble.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline

Winston Churchill's mother was American

Should he have been precluded from being PM of Britain ?

We Brits will take anyone

heck we have even had a Jewish (born) PM (Disraeli) and a couple of (crossed out) ... er I mean gay ones by all accounts... and A WOMAN and the youngest was 24 years old...

I think US Citizens should be free and allowed to elect anyone they want. Heck if there was a second coming, they couldn't even elect Jesus !

Unless they annexed Israel first of course. I wonder if that works that a person born in a country that later became annexed and absorbed...

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

We Brits will take anyone

Unlike the US, Britain is not a "country of immigrants" and more often than not,

British citizens do not have strong cultural ties to other nations and/or consider

them an important part of their heritage.

Sure there are a lot of immigrants in the UK, but their eligibility for the highest

office has not become an issue only because there is a glass ceiling that prevents

them from even getting close to running for PM.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

heck we have even had a Jewish (born) PM (Disraeli) and a couple of (crossed out) ... er I mean gay ones by all accounts... and A WOMAN and the youngest was 24 years old...

How about a black one? Or Indian/Pakistani PM? Call me when that happens.