jen89

F-1 Visa to marrying American?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am currently on an F-1 Student Visa and still in status and attending university. My bf and I have been dating for 2 1/2 years and want to get married. How does this work? Do I need to apply for AOS before my F-1 expires, if so..how far in advance? What AOS am I applying for? I don't understand if the K-1 involves me or not! A little, ok a lot lost!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Visas are for people who want to enter the country. You do not need a K-1 visa as you are already in the county. Simply marry and adjust your status from F-1 student to permenant resident.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/otheraos

Follow the guides, you'll submit the I-130, the I-485, the G-325A and the supporting documents

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

That link is a bit wonky... here is the VJ step-by-step guide. It is called CONCURRENT I-130/I-485 in USCIS jargon...

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Good luck!

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Other Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

I am currently on an F-1 Student Visa and still in status and attending university. My bf and I have been dating for 2 1/2 years and want to get married. How does this work? Do I need to apply for AOS before my F-1 expires, if so..how far in advance? What AOS am I applying for? I don't understand if the K-1 involves me or not! A little, ok a lot lost!!

Hello there,

I was a F-1 student too~~

1) Since you are still in school, I'm sure your F-1 visa is still valid, and you won't have any problem renewing it as if you are/will enroll as full time student. When will your F-1 visa expired?

2) You can only adjust status (AOS) after you both got married, and get the marriage certificate. Normally you get 1 free copy for yourself, you will need 1-2 copies while filing for AOS, so when you go to pay for the certified copies, request for more for future use, save $ and time too .

3) You have nothing to do with K-1

4) If you both get married now, and your visa is still valid, you can file AOS, when you get your green card, you no longer need your F-1 visa and you can probably pay for local resident tuition too! Make sure you don't leave the country before you apply for AOS and while it is in process.

Good luck!

08/2002 Arrived US with F-1 Student Visa

01/01/08 EAD received (Student OPT)

08/01/08 Got married

AOS

08/31/08 USPS Express Delivery I-485, I-130, I-131, I-765 to Chicago Office

09/02/08 USCIS received the package

09/04/08 USCIS sent NOA1 by mail

09/08/08 Received all (4) NOA1 for I-130, I-131, I-485 & I-765

09/12/08 Received Biometrics appointment letter

10/03/08 Appointment for Biometrics

11/04/08 Received Interview NOA by mail

11/10/08 InfoPass for AP

11/12/08 AP Approve Notice Sent , EAD Card Production Ordered

11/17/08 AP received

11/25/08 EAD received

12/11/08 Appointment for Interview - APPROVED

12/27/08 GREEN CARD received

ROC

11/16/10 USPS Express Delivery I-751 to California Service Center

11/17/10 USCIS received the package, Notice of Action dated same day

11/19/10 Check was cashed

11/23/10 Received NOA

12/11/10 Green Gard expired

Don't need certified copies to send to USCIS, just a regular photocopy of one of those; bring the real deal to the interview :)

(VJ guide is wrong on that)

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.