Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Affidavit of support and divorce

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: France

hello everybody!

haven't been here in very long, and have a new name, i guess matching more my "new" situation. long story as short as i can. i am a permanent resident, married to a us citizen, came here on k3, then adjusted status. marriage was bad from the beginning but kept on trying and hoping and praying. Out of the marriage came out a wonderful child. the marriage was very abusive in many ways and culminated with an order for protection that i got and left the house with our child. the order was shortly suspended - both parties consent - and "replaced" by a temporary order. the US citizen - spouse - has been in voluntary unemployment; we are now going through a nasty custody battle. i have temporary physical custody and we share legal custody. for the last 2 years, the US citizen has not paid me one cent for child support or for my support. as i was the only one working at the time i left, i was actually forced to keep paying for his medical insurance.

i am extremely unhappy with this situation for many reasons and often thought that he did sign an affidavit of support when bringing me to the states but has actually NEVER supported me.

I am employed and self-sufficient financially.

is there anything you think i could do so that he would be held accountable for NOT supporting me at all during all this time?

i would appreciate any ideas / input / examples you would have


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam

Not to sound trite. Take him to court.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318


PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I know the only thing the Affadavit of Support really means is that should you become a ward of the state, etc. then he could be sued and made to pay any monies back that was used to support you. Or that his income would be counted in any monetary based aid that you might apply for.

It does not necessarily mean that he will support you and I really don't think you can do anything to make him (apart from the child support) actually.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by amykathleen2005

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.


ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...