nycherehecomes

What if you get layed off???

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Wow!!!!!

I guess people get really passionate about things on this site. I honestly thought this was a place to ask your peers questions. I thought you could come and have people who know what you are going through relate to your questions and concerns. Guess not!

Having a long distance relationship is very difficult. It takes a toll on you when you realize that you found love and can’t have that person by your side. When you love the last thing you want to do is jeopardize the welfare of the other person. Like bringing them to live in poverty, ect. This is why many people wait years to bring their loved ones.

I only asked the question because Im sure many people going through this process think about every what if known.... Im sure you can find many jobs quickly. Any job as long as it’s legal is honest. I just didn’t know how this would affect your process.... That’s all…

November 12, 2010 - Packet Sent via Fedex

November 15, 2010 - Delivered. Signed by D. Sawyers

November 18, 2010 - Check Cashed and Posted

November 19, 2010 - Received text @ 1am

November 19, 2010 - Received email

November 22, 2010 - NOA1 Hardcopy received (dated November 17)

November 23, 2010 - Touched

November 24, 2010 - Touched

April 29, 2011- NOA 2 Yuuuppy!!!!!

May 11, 2011- Letter Received by NVC

May 17, 2011- Packet 3 Sent by Embassy

September 16, 2011- Appointment

September 16, 2011- Approved!!!!!!!!!

I just didn't know how this would affect your process.... That's all…

Yeah, the discussion did go off on a bit of a tangent, didn't it.

Anyway, there will be two times during the K-1 & AOS process where you will be asked about your income. The first is at the K-1 embassy interview where you have to fill out the I-134 for sponsorship.

For sponsorship there are two possible components. There is income and Assets.

At both stages you'll need to state your income and then provide proof of that number. An expected way to do this is with a TAX TRANSCRIPT from the previous year which you can have mailed or faxed to you for free from the IRS. Just google "Tax transcript IRS" and you'll find the 1800 number. This is the only part which is "required" However, in uncertain economic times, the consulates frequently have been exercising their discretion and asking for more evidence. There are other ways to prove your income. They are mostly interested in the "current" income, so if you just got a new job and are earning more, you can provide an employer letter (This includes your name, the company's name, your salary or hourly rate and weekly hours, if you are temp or permanent, when you were hired & the name and title of the person writing the letter dated and on company letterhead), or paystubs. If this second list shows you in a more favorable light than your latest tax returns, definitely include it!

For assets, you need to show that you have assets which make up at LEAST 3x your income shortfall. These need to be assets which you can liquidate (sell) relatively quickly and don't harm you to do so. So, think stocks rather than your old record collection. The way you figure out what you need is by looking at the requirement (for calculation, let's say it's 19k for round numbers) and what you make (Let's say for example, 17k). For this example, you have 2k shortage in INCOME, so you need to prove that you have 3 x 2k = 6k in assets. At LEAST that much. You may want to even show that you have ~10k just to be safe. Or, boost your income.

A cosponsor is someone who can step in and support the immigrant with the same requirements as if they were adding the immigrant to their own household. They need to meet the same requirements as above for income and/or asset proofs and levels depending on their own household size.

So, you asked about how does a lay off affect all of that. Well, if you have assets, it doesn't really affect things, but you need a lot of assets. ;) As I mentioned above, really the tax transcripts are all that's required. You could try to skate by on your previously shown income. Other people on here have also lost their jobs at various points in the process. Most that I have seen have either delayed their process until they got a new job, or they found a cosponsor. There are lots of little ways that you can delay the process. After the petition is approved, you can delay the visa application. Many consulates have a standard policy that they will wait for sometimes a whole year for the beneficiary to apply for the visa. You can keep in contact with the embassy to make sure the file stays active. That's a lot of time to get a job in time to provide the proofs at the interview. It's a little less favorable to do the same thing at AOS, but you have 6 months to use the visa after it's issued, and for many reasons (not just immigration - EAD included!-, but health insurance etc.) you might find it favorable to marry and get the AOS sent off ASAP after arrival. So if you loose your job after the visa is issued there is some padding on that side as well.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

I could be wrong but I remember the assets have to be at least 5 times the income disparity.

Hypothetical question: If someone where to have $150,000+ in a savings account with all the tax documents supporting the income, then there wouldn't be any issues right? :devil:

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Wow!!!!!

I guess people get really passionate about things on this site. I honestly thought this was a place to ask your peers questions. I thought you could come and have people who know what you are going through relate to your questions and concerns. Guess not!

Having a long distance relationship is very difficult. It takes a toll on you when you realize that you found love and can’t have that person by your side. When you love the last thing you want to do is jeopardize the welfare of the other person. Like bringing them to live in poverty, ect. This is why many people wait years to bring their loved ones.

I only asked the question because Im sure many people going through this process think about every what if known.... Im sure you can find many jobs quickly. Any job as long as it’s legal is honest. I just didn’t know how this would affect your process.... That’s all…

Unlike other sites where people insult others just because of differences in points of views ...this is a site with a concentration of matured people. The intention was just to give an info on the worst case scenario. As a responsible adult, one wouldn't need to be told to look for a job especially when one has some responsibilities. Sorry if I started anything, as u can see I kept quite when i saw it was getting out of hand. I hope in the midst of this discussion you found an answer. Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Unlike other sites where people insult others just because of differences in points of views ...this is a site with a concentration of matured people. The intention was just to give an info on the worst case scenario. As a responsible adult, one wouldn't need to be told to look for a job especially when one has some responsibilities. Sorry if I started anything, as u can see I kept quite when i saw it was getting out of hand. I hope in the midst of this discussion you found an answer. Good luck.

My point exactly... Oh well everyone has their way of responding and dealing with things. Amongst the craziness my question was answered. Thank you again to everyone for the time spent.

November 12, 2010 - Packet Sent via Fedex

November 15, 2010 - Delivered. Signed by D. Sawyers

November 18, 2010 - Check Cashed and Posted

November 19, 2010 - Received text @ 1am

November 19, 2010 - Received email

November 22, 2010 - NOA1 Hardcopy received (dated November 17)

November 23, 2010 - Touched

November 24, 2010 - Touched

April 29, 2011- NOA 2 Yuuuppy!!!!!

May 11, 2011- Letter Received by NVC

May 17, 2011- Packet 3 Sent by Embassy

September 16, 2011- Appointment

September 16, 2011- Approved!!!!!!!!!

I could be wrong but I remember the assets have to be at least 5 times the income disparity.

Hypothetical question: If someone where to have $150,000+ in a savings account with all the tax documents supporting the income, then there wouldn't be any issues right? :devil:

It's actually 3x for the I-134, and 3x for spouses on the I-864, so each time, it will be 3x.

It IS indeed 5x if you're sponsoring someone who you aren't related to.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

guys, my fiance just got back from iraq and isnt working anymore. will that be a problem? we have a lot of savings, but will unemployment be a problem? we have no kids and it's just us.

Your fiance just finished serving in the military, you have so much in savings, and since you would still present your statement of account at some point, unemployment would not be a problem.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.