LienAn

How long after approval should you get your green card?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

My husband and I had our interview yesterday, and I got approved for permanent residency. The lady that did the interview took my EAD and said my Advance Parole document is now no longer valid.

My problem is, I have a trip planned on December 4th. She told I "should" have my green card by then (she said some people get it 2 weeks after the interview, 4 weeks at most), but I just don't wanna risk not having any documentation to travel. She said that if I didn't have my green card by my departure date, that I could make an Infopass appointment at my local office, where I could get some kind of letter stating that I am a lawful permanent resident, but that I just don't have the actual card yet, so that I can travel. However, when I tried to make an appointment for about a month from now, just in case, like always there were no longer any appointments available. It makes me a little bit nervous. I'm just trying to see what other people's experience has been with this.

This is not a conditional green card, I don't know if that makes any difference in the processing time.

I have a couple other questions, not related to this, but just in case anyone can answer them for me:

- I have a social security card that says it can only be used with authorization to work from Homeland Security. Am I supposed to get a new one now, or doe this not matter?

- Do I HAVE to have my married name on my passport? I never changed it, since I haven't traveled internationally in about 3 years now. I did book my ticket under the exact name that's on my passport. I will take my marriage certificate with me. Will I have any issues with this? And am I legally obliged to change it?

Thank you so much for your time !!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My husband and I had our interview yesterday, and I got approved for permanent residency. The lady that did the interview took my EAD and said my Advance Parole document is now no longer valid.

My problem is, I have a trip planned on December 4th. She told I "should" have my green card by then (she said some people get it 2 weeks after the interview, 4 weeks at most), but I just don't wanna risk not having any documentation to travel. She said that if I didn't have my green card by my departure date, that I could make an Infopass appointment at my local office, where I could get some kind of letter stating that I am a lawful permanent resident, but that I just don't have the actual card yet, so that I can travel. However, when I tried to make an appointment for about a month from now, just in case, like always there were no longer any appointments available. It makes me a little bit nervous. I'm just trying to see what other people's experience has been with this.

This is not a conditional green card, I don't know if that makes any difference in the processing time.

I have a couple other questions, not related to this, but just in case anyone can answer them for me:

- I have a social security card that says it can only be used with authorization to work from Homeland Security. Am I supposed to get a new one now, or doe this not matter?

- Do I HAVE to have my married name on my passport? I never changed it, since I haven't traveled internationally in about 3 years now. I did book my ticket under the exact name that's on my passport. I will take my marriage certificate with me. Will I have any issues with this? And am I legally obliged to change it?

Thank you so much for your time !!

when you get your green card in hand you can take your SSN to your local SSA an get it up to date to show that you a PR now.an no you dont of to have you name in ur passport change...the lady is right u well get yor green card way b4 i got mine 7 days after the interview.. after 4 to 5 days after your interview you well get your welcome letter if you dont get your green card in time just take your passport and your welcome letter to ur local uscis office an they well give u a stamp in you passport saying you are a PR now..so don't worry just give it a week or 2 an u well get everything..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

when you get your green card in hand you can take your SSN to your local SSA an get it up to date to show that you a PR now.an no you dont of to have you name in ur passport change...the lady is right u well get yor green card way b4 i got mine 7 days after the interview.. after 4 to 5 days after your interview you well get your welcome letter if you dont get your green card in time just take your passport and your welcome letter to ur local uscis office an they well give u a stamp in you passport saying you are a PR now..so don't worry just give it a week or 2 an u well get everything..

Thank you so much !! That makes me feel a lot more comfortable about this situation. :) Have a wonderful day !!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My wife and step-kids got their green card a little less than two weeks after the interview. Conditional permanent residents get the exact same sort of card that unconditional permanent residents get. The only difference is the length of time before the card expires. The process for the local office to request a card to be produced, and the process for actually producing the card, are exactly the same in either case.

It's not essential that you get a new Social Security card, but it would be best if you did, especially if you plan to get a job. A prospective employer might give you a hard time about the "Not authorized for employment" statement on the card.

The United States will not require you to get your passport replaced. Your passport will be required to enter a foreign country. Your green card will be required to enter the US. When you board a flight bound for the US, most airlines require proof that you will be permitted to enter when you arrive. Some airlines might give you a hard time if your passport and ticket are in one name, and your green card is in another. Check with the airline and see what they require.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

You don't have to...If I'm not mistaken, Belgium won't even allow you to do that, they just add the married name.

I just had them add my married name in my Belgian Passport ( they just write it in there on a designated page and consular stamp: NAME, spouse of NAME).

I never had any issues traveling under my maiden name or my married name, but if you don't have it added, make sure to always travel under your maiden name,

the way it is spelled in the passport.

I don't expect any problems...

Hope this helps

Application for Citizenship

N400: NOA 11/01/2011

In queue for interview scheduling: 11/28/2011

Yellow letter asking to bring state issued ID: 12/23/2011

Interview: 04/09/2012

Oath ceremony: 07/31/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.