Colombian Gringo

33 yr Military/Government Mbr Appl For Foriegn Spouse with 5 year marriage

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi,

Am a 33+ yr Vet, currently newly re-employed with the Government. Need to begin application for my (5th year marriage), wife who is a Colombian citizen but we both have residency in the Republic of Panama to where she has been residing for 9 years.

I had been in the E.U. for 7 years under contract for the USG/Civilian Acft. Contractor and was also a Reservist assigned to Italy with my personal office being Ramstein AB, D.E.

My wife has had previously a U.S. Army document (Similiar to AF Form 1172), issued from Germany authorizing my wife a Government ID. (I still have copies of all). My wife has traveled back and forth nurmerous times to visit me as I have with her. This ID was turned back in May 31st after my RIF from my civilian employer.

Spent 4 months in Colombia with my relatives before being hired back on with the USG F/T here in Texas this past month, now as with my wife we desire her to join me as we are growing tired of the time apart.

I read the directions for Military members filing for their spouses, and even have talked with a nice UCIS Rep (Through the Military DSN hotline) who also walked me through the basic form requirements for me with options, for my wife and her son (Under 18). Reading about the documents required, this too very easy but I desire to speak with someone who is current with this process to make sure all is in order. UCIS told me to call them once ready and they would go over all, but I also desire to run this through you all.

Am told I-129F in conjunctin with I-130 X 2 (For Step-Son) $1,010 for my wife, $600 her son for a K-3 & K-4. Should I desire the supposevely quick processing time, this petition is $355 ea. for the I-130 only (Believe I have this correct?)

End of the week, will be sending my wife her AF Form 1172 for another Government ID for which she will get locally at Clayton (Panama City), will also call ahead to make sure they get her and her son's fingerprints completed at the same time (No charge). Will also have her get the necessary immunizations (If required), foto's, and a local police background check (also if required but did not see this requirement of the military site of UCIS. I have pretty good contacts on the ground in Panama so should be an easy process for her...is only this initial filings that I wish to get straight the first time.

Lastly, I noticed some timelines...why such a lengthy process if in the military and it is posted there is no waiting period (Except possibly visa issuing region)? was this prior to the Immigration regulation changes to benefit more the Government/Military members and their spouses?

How can one get docs (I-130 etc.) tranfered to Texas? Is this really needed?

Also FYI for anyone going through this, was told by UCIS that 23 November 2010 there will be a fee change, so be sure to get documents flowing prior to this date!!

Please get back with me when you have the opportunity, thank you.

:thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

K's are dead so you are looking at IR which is a better bet anyway.

Quickest option is to file through local Consulate. Referred to here as DCF - Direct Consular Filing.

Guides on here go through the process so no need to duplicate.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Welcome to VisaJourney.

If you will indeed be filing for your spouse (and stepson) while living abroad - you may find the DCF Guide useful.

**In order to better aid your responses - I'll move your post from Removing Conditions to the Direct Consular Filing Discussion forum.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.