Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Colombian Gringo

33 yr Military/Government Mbr Appl For Foriegn Spouse with 5 year marriage

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia


Am a 33+ yr Vet, currently newly re-employed with the Government. Need to begin application for my (5th year marriage), wife who is a Colombian citizen but we both have residency in the Republic of Panama to where she has been residing for 9 years.

I had been in the E.U. for 7 years under contract for the USG/Civilian Acft. Contractor and was also a Reservist assigned to Italy with my personal office being Ramstein AB, D.E.

My wife has had previously a U.S. Army document (Similiar to AF Form 1172), issued from Germany authorizing my wife a Government ID. (I still have copies of all). My wife has traveled back and forth nurmerous times to visit me as I have with her. This ID was turned back in May 31st after my RIF from my civilian employer.

Spent 4 months in Colombia with my relatives before being hired back on with the USG F/T here in Texas this past month, now as with my wife we desire her to join me as we are growing tired of the time apart.

I read the directions for Military members filing for their spouses, and even have talked with a nice UCIS Rep (Through the Military DSN hotline) who also walked me through the basic form requirements for me with options, for my wife and her son (Under 18). Reading about the documents required, this too very easy but I desire to speak with someone who is current with this process to make sure all is in order. UCIS told me to call them once ready and they would go over all, but I also desire to run this through you all.

Am told I-129F in conjunctin with I-130 X 2 (For Step-Son) $1,010 for my wife, $600 her son for a K-3 & K-4. Should I desire the supposevely quick processing time, this petition is $355 ea. for the I-130 only (Believe I have this correct?)

End of the week, will be sending my wife her AF Form 1172 for another Government ID for which she will get locally at Clayton (Panama City), will also call ahead to make sure they get her and her son's fingerprints completed at the same time (No charge). Will also have her get the necessary immunizations (If required), foto's, and a local police background check (also if required but did not see this requirement of the military site of UCIS. I have pretty good contacts on the ground in Panama so should be an easy process for her...is only this initial filings that I wish to get straight the first time.

Lastly, I noticed some timelines...why such a lengthy process if in the military and it is posted there is no waiting period (Except possibly visa issuing region)? was this prior to the Immigration regulation changes to benefit more the Government/Military members and their spouses?

How can one get docs (I-130 etc.) tranfered to Texas? Is this really needed?

Also FYI for anyone going through this, was told by UCIS that 23 November 2010 there will be a fee change, so be sure to get documents flowing prior to this date!!

Please get back with me when you have the opportunity, thank you.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales

K's are dead so you are looking at IR which is a better bet anyway.

Quickest option is to file through local Consulate. Referred to here as DCF - Direct Consular Filing.

Guides on here go through the process so no need to duplicate.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to VisaJourney.

If you will indeed be filing for your spouse (and stepson) while living abroad - you may find the DCF Guide useful.

**In order to better aid your responses - I'll move your post from Removing Conditions to the Direct Consular Filing Discussion forum.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...