Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Confused about TN to GreenCard

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada

Hey all,

I found this website:


Which lists two different ways to go from TN status to greencard. One is the way i've read about (AOS) but they also list applying for an I-130 and processing through a consulate? It also says that if you do this, you can still travel with the TN status and still work? I thought if you applied through a consulate you had to be back in Canada while it was processing?

So confused.?

12/06/10 - Day 0: Sent AOS
12/09/10 - Day 3: Received in Chicago
12/14/10 - Day 8: Received NOA1 (Email) and checks cashed
12/18/10 - Day 12: Received NOA1 Hard copies in the mail - also all forms "Touched"
12/23/10 - Day 17: Received Biometrics letter - Appt for January 13, 2011
01/13/11 - Day 38: Completed Biometrics
01/31/11 - Day 56: Received Interview letter.
02/02/11 - Day 57: I-485 Touched. Nothing on EAD or AP.
02/15/11 - Day 70: Received Email that EAD and AP are approved.
02/24/11 - Day 79: Received EAD/AP (Combo Card) in the mail.
03/03/11 - Day 86: Interview - Approved!
01/29/13 - Day 0: Sent I-751
01/31/13 - Day 2: Received in California
02/01/13 - Day 3: Check cashed
02/08/13 - Day 10: Received NOA1 (dated 1/30/2013) and Biometrics letter (appointment for 2/28/2013)

02/28/13 - Day 30: Successful Biometrics appt

06/20/13 - Day 142: Received Email that Card Production is ordered!


11/16/16 - Day 0: Sent N-400

11/21/16 - Day 5: Card charged and NOA date

12/21/16 - Day 35: Biometrics

01/04/17 - Day 49: Notice of in line for interview

05/01/17 - Day 166: Received notice of Interview scheduled

6/7/2017 - Day 203: Interview & Oath Ceremony

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Country: Canada

Why not call that lawyer and ask him? Most immigration lawyers offer either a free or cheap consultation and you can usually get some good info from them. When I got married to a USC and needed to apply for my GC we went to three or four different consultations (all free) to gather info and then ended up filing everything ourselves. Obviously, don't tell them that's the plan and make them think they will get your business but I would definitely ask around!

Also, I had this article bookmarked when I was thinking of trying to go from TN to GC:


It seems like a long process so good luck!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Timeline

You can adjust through marriage to a USC or through work sponsorship. I did the TN to GC through marriage to a USC and once we filed for AOS, there was no more travelling outside the U.S. unless i had AP (which I didn't apply for). You can still work at your TN job while your application is being processed. If you plan to stay at that job, you don't need to apply for your EAD. If you don't want to stay at that job, then apply for the EAD and once you receive it, you can work anywhere you please.

I've never heard of applying for AOS through a consulate though.

Hope that helps,


Edited by naomi55

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam

I've never heard of applying for AOS through a consulate though.

You don't apply for AOS through a consulate. You apply for an immigrant visa. If approved, a green card is generated automatically when the visa is used to enter the US. The I-130 is a petition to make an immigrant visa number available for a foreigner. When the I-130 is approved, the foreigner can either use the immigrant visa number by applying for AOS (if they're in the US), or applying for an immigrant visa at a US consulate (if they're outside the US). Applying for the immigrant visa is less risky because there's no chance of violating the non-immigrant intent requirement of the TN visa.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...