sammy060382

Question for the female American citizens

35 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question for the female American citizens who are bringing over their non-American husband to the States. I recently realized that I will need to get a new SSN details with my new married name. I'm wondering if everyone else here did the same before or during their spouses immigration process. For those that didn't, were there any challenges with your SSN still being linked to your old name?

Thanks in advance,

- Sam

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Anyways, if you're curious about the US CITIZEN wives...my wife changed her name at the Social Security office..same SSN number. She had to show the marriage certificate/decree. Then after that..her driver's license...and now she's working on getting her passport changed to her new last name. kapish? lol

Timeline

She did it along the way..most important is the SSN name change..then we filed...after that you can deal with those other things during the process...although I wouldn't take forever..because they will at some point run a background check, and if you haven't changed it, they'll ask for an RFE as to why you didn't change your last name to your new married name...suspicious of a sham marriage.

She did it along the way..most important is the SSN name change..then we filed...after that you can deal with those other things during the process...although I wouldn't take forever..because they will at some point run a background check, and if you haven't changed it, they'll ask for an RFE as to why you didn't change your last name to your new married name...suspicious of a sham marriage.

Hmmm, I've never heard of anybody getting an RFE for this. Do you have links to any threads? Or has anyone here personally gotten one?

IR-5

• USCIS scan date - 11/07/2014
  • NVC scan date - 03/06/2015
  • NVC case complete - 08/01/2015
  • Interview scheduled - 09/14/2015
  • Interview - 10/08/2015

Timeline

I said ya MIGHT get an RFE...common sense..you get married..do the name changes..otherwise they're like How come you didn't change your name to your married name? I know if i was adjudicating a case..I'd be like..hmmm...they've been married for this long and she hasn't changed her name on anything yet..

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

really? is this an issue? i know a lot of married couples where the woman chooses to keep her maiden name....My fiance´s last name is very difficult for Americans to pronounce so i was planning on probably keeping my maiden name...

K-1 Visa Journey

October 1, 2010: I-129F sent

October 5, 2010: I-129F received

October 12, 2010: NOA1 e-mail received, routed to VSC

October 16, 2010: NOA1 hard copy received (dated October 7, 2010)

April 18, 2011: RFE e-mail

April 20, 2011: RFE hardcopy received

April 20, 2011: RFE response sent to VSC

May 2, 2011: E-mail confirming VSC has received RFE response

July 27, 2011: NOA2 e-mail received (9 months, 2 weeks, and 6 days (292 days) after NOA1

July 30, 2011: NOA2 hard copy

August 4, 2011: NVC received case

August 8, 2011: NVC forwarded case to US Consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico

August 8, 2011: Consulate received case

August 25, 2011: Consulate mailed packet 3

September 3, 2011: Received Packet 3 in US

September 20, 2011: Interview! Not enough information in the system to make a decision

September 26, 2011: K1 visa approved and received via DHL

October 20, 2011: POE at Phoenix, Arizona

October 26, 2011: Married

AOS Journey

11-7-2011 - AOS package sent to lockbox in Chicago, IL

11-9-2011 - AOS package delivered and signed for

11-15-2011 - NOA1 e-mails received (NOA1 date November 10), routed to NBC

11-16-2011 - Check Cashed

11-21-2011 - Hard Copies & Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

11-29-2011 - Biometrics done via walk-in! (Originally scheduled for 12/14/11)

12-2-2011 - Case transferred to CSC

1-17-2012 - EAD/AP Card Production Ordered

1-25-2012 - EAD/AP card received in mail

3-7-2012 - RFE issued

3-19-2012 - RFE response received by CSC

4-4-2012 - Green Card Production!

4-10-12 - GC received in mail

January 3, 2014: ROC

I said ya MIGHT get an RFE...common sense..you get married..do the name changes..otherwise they're like How come you didn't change your name to your married name? I know if i was adjudicating a case..I'd be like..hmmm...they've been married for this long and she hasn't changed her name on anything yet..

Actually, you didn't say "MIGHT." You said "THEY'LL [ask for an RFE]," as in "they WILL."

Anyway, I feel like I've seen stories in which the American citizen wife didn't change her last name, and didn't get an RFE. I'm wondering if there are stories of couples who've experienced the opposite.

Edited by Kikapoo

IR-5

• USCIS scan date - 11/07/2014
  • NVC scan date - 03/06/2015
  • NVC case complete - 08/01/2015
  • Interview scheduled - 09/14/2015
  • Interview - 10/08/2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It is extremely unlikely a US woman marrying a non-US man who chooses to keep her maiden name instead of taking his name would generate any type of an RFE. There are many cultures where a woman does not take her husband's name upon marrying as well as many women who choose not to take her husband's name. It has no bearing upon the validity of a marriage. It doesn't make the marriage any more or less real. It is solely a matter of personal choice.

While I am the immigrant I chose not to take my husband's last name and it has never been an issue anywhere in this whole process. No one official has ever 'questioned' the validity of our relationship because I chose to keep my own name, not at the AOS, not at the Removal of Conditions and not at Naturalization. If a wife taking a husband's name is an indication of a 'real' marriage, then surely it would be even more important that the immigrant wife take her American husband's name. The thing is, it isn't important at all and is totally irrelevant to whether or not a couple has a real marriage.

If the US citizen wife wishes to keep her own name then there is no need for her to change any of her identification except to change her status from single to married. If she does wish to take her husband's name, then just as if she were marrying another American she would change her identification to reflect her new name. It is as simple as that and really is not an immigration issue.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

My wife (non-USC) did not take my last name when we got married and it never came up.

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

Timeline

they'll ask for an RFE as to why you didn't change your last name to your new married name...suspicious of a sham marriage.

Actually CanadianRedneck - you didn't say might anywhere here

And this is the 21st century. Failing to take a husband's last name will not raise flags of a sham marriage and is highly unlikely that it will result in an RFE

Only recently did I take my husbands name, throughout the process I did not and it was never an issue

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

I wasn't aware that the guys had to change their name...my wife took my last name, lol.

Thanks for the reply. BTW, I don't understand why you thought I was talking about my husband changing his name - i'm talking about myself.

Thanks,

- Sam

So in my case, I did change my name.

We are at the point in the immigration process where my husband will be going in for an interview within the next few months. So far, there hasn't been any issues with the fact that my SSN references my old name. Obviously, I need to do it, but does anyone see any hiccups in the next few months or at the interview?

Thanks,

- Sam

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.