Andy and Kayla

Brining food products into the US?

25 posts in this topic

Are you going through Customs at Dorval or just catching a connecting flight? I know my sister had her fruit confiscated at MCO on a flight from MAN.... but it was in her hand luggage. With the x-ray machines all the luggage goes through now they may see the mangoes as suspicious and remove them anyway.
To clarify--I haven't booked any such flight, but asking it hypothetically, using a return connexion path of MAA-(EUR)-YUL-IAD so as to be able to use the PFI at Dorval (which I suspect WOULD require clearance of Canuck customs before going to the PFI).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

My mom always goes down to Washington to buy her cheese and butter from costco....sooo much cheaper than here. They don't usually care about food unless its beef or fruits/vegetables. We always have snack foods and stuff in the car when we cross the border. You should be fine :)

June 7, 2010 - Will asked me to marry him, and I said YES!!
October 4, 2010 - Will sent away the I-129F Petition
October 12, 2010 - NOA1 received!
October 15, 2010 - First "touch"
October 18, 2010 - Second "touch"
March 7, 2011 - NOA2!!!
March 18, 2011 - NVC forwarded our case to the Montreal Consulate....NOT where we wanted it to go!
March 25, 2011 - Email from Montreal saying that our case would be forwarded to Vancouver - only took one night for a reply from them smile.png
April 5, 2011 - Vancouver has our package!
April 6, 2011 - Received Packet 3 via email - now just waiting on my police certificate.
April 13, 2011 - faxed Packet 3 to Vancouver
April 14, 2011 - received Packet 4 via email
May 4, 2011 - Medical appointment
May 5, 2011 - Interview!! APPROVED smile.png

June 16, 2011 - POE at Blaine Peace Arch Crossing
June 28, 2011 - Got married by Elvis in Vegas!
Aug 8, 2011 - Received SSN in the mail.

Aug 31, 2011 - Sent off AOS Package
Sept 7, 2011 - Package received by USCIS
Sept 9, 2011 - Notice of Action email for AOS, EAD, and AP.
Sept 16, 2011 - Received my Biometrics Appt. letter for the 30th.
Sept 22, 2011 - RFE sad.png
Sept 30, 2011 - Biometrics Appt.
Oct 26, 2011 - Received interview letter for Dec 1st
Nov 4, 2011 - EAD/AP approved
Nov 12, 2011 - Received combo card in the mail
Dec 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED smile.png
Dec 9, 2011 - Greencard arrived in the mail!

Oct 18, 2013 - I-751 Package signed for at CA Service Center

Mar 5, 2014 - Approved! Awaiting greencard in the mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

mmmmm...this means we can maybe smuggle some of that fluffy bread Mathew used to buy. Ohhhh fluffy bread, I missed youuuuuuuuuuu. :whistle:

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My mom always goes down to Washington to buy her cheese and butter from costco....sooo much cheaper than here. They don't usually care about food unless its beef or fruits/vegetables. We always have snack foods and stuff in the car when we cross the border. You should be fine :)

Canada has the Milk Mafia. Dairy prices are inflated by something like 120%.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Random but your Ketchup Chips (had to google them) are called Heinz Big Red Tomato Sauce chips here and I LOVE them. Have a huge back sitting in the pantry as we speak. Can't waste them :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So, on A's last visit up here we came across these soybean and chickpea snackfoods and were very much interested in them. I have a peanut allergy so snacky alternatives like this are rare for me. Having said that, I know produce isn't generally allowed over the border either way but since these fall more into snackfood category than raw produce would they be likely to allow it? They're grown locally and packaged like any other snack item. I'm visitng A for Thanksgiving (US Thanksgiving) and was hoping to bring some down.

You will have no problem bringing that. I sent my fiance back to GA from ON, a suitcase full of 10 boxes whole grain pasta! LOL It's very expensive down there ($5 a box) and limited selection, I got here about 75 cents each coupon sale use.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Random but your Ketchup Chips (had to google them) are called Heinz Big Red Tomato Sauce chips here and I LOVE them. Have a huge back sitting in the pantry as we speak. Can't waste them :)

I have bought the Heinz ones here, and the taste is no where comparable to the Lay's ketchup chips!!! I LOVE ketchup chips and I had a hard time getting through a bag of the Heinz ones, they just didn't taste quite right. :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I have bought the Heinz ones here, and the taste is no where comparable to the Lay's ketchup chips!!! I LOVE ketchup chips and I had a hard time getting through a bag of the Heinz ones, they just didn't taste quite right. :(

sorry should specify.. AUSTRALIA has Heinz chips.. not surprised if US ones taste odd.. after all so does their bread, cheese, candy, chocolate... **shudder** thats why I'm bringing stuff from Aus back :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Check to see if you can find Burger Kings Ketchup Chips. They don't look like the typical round chip, but more like a french fry shape (still the same as a regular chip) with the same ketchup flavoring on it. They weren't too bad, though I haven't seen them for awhile as they never go over well here. People say they taste interesting, but not something they'd want to go out and buy. One of my friends tried a bag of ketchup chips I brought back from Canada and thought they were horrible...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok, so the deal with food crossing the border into the U.S. goes something like this:

Citrus is never ok.

Meats (including beef for the one post I saw indicating otherwise) are Ok...EXCEPT for lamb or goat meat which are not ok.

Any fresh fruits or vegetables (with the exception of citrus which is never ok) are generally ok as long as they are labeled with where they are grown. If they are grown in the US or Canada, they are fine.

For example:

Apples grown in Washington, bought in Canada, and carried into the US are fine.

Apples grown in Canada, carried into the US are fine.

Apples grown in Japan are not ok.

Hence the labels being important, if there is no label it cannot be 'proven' that they were grown in the US or Canada

Seasonal fruits are another source of contention. If they are out of season, they will probably be confiscated. I've seen this happen with grapes.

One last thing to remember. "Tropical" fruits are not allowed either. Lychees, rambutans, mangoes, dragon fruit, etc.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.