ghanalove1

K-1 Co-Sponsor Financial Income Change?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I am going to be starting the K1 process and I have a question regarding a co-sponsor.My mother will be my co-sponsor for my fiance' and I because at this time I do not have a sufficient income at this time since I am substitute teaching and going to school for my Master's degree. The situation is that my mother is having some health issues now and she is off on paid administrative leave until she meets with her company doctor . Anyway, she may have to go on short term disability and then possibly later long term. Is she has to go on short term disability it will reduce her income at the time. She will only get 66% of her normal income. But I think that even with that reduction we still would be able to qualify together but I am just wondering: Will they consider her current income or her income from the past year? She made well enough to qualify in the years prior. So, do they look at the current income? Like a current paycheck or such or do they look at the past years tax returns?

Thanks for all your help!

"Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself ways how I can!"

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

It will sort of depends when your interview gets scheduled what income they look at but since you have just applied/applying you will definatly need your 2010 stuff at interview. You do need to have (at least most Ghana interviews) current pay stubs, tax transcripts, letter from employers, bank statements (Accra embassy seems to ask for anything...)

If her 66% is enough to cover her family size plus your fiance at %125, then you dont have an issue.

Also remeber that when you are going for AOS in the future you will need the same things.

Is there anyone else you can ask? It might be better to have someone who might not have these issues.

(I know the feeling I am in my Masters too!)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, they will look at previous year's income tax transcripts, but it is the CURRENT year that will determine if it's enough.

Also, remember that if your mother is the co-sponsor, her income needs to meet the requirement for a household of 3, since she is co-sponsoring YOU for your FIANCE. That's 3.

If she has a house, that helps.

Good luck!

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

So, what about if I add my income to it does that work as enough to sponsor us 3? Like I add my income with my mother's income to be enough to be one collective income to sponsor us three?

"Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself ways how I can!"

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

To my knowledge you cant add incomes together. I am sure there are others out there who can answer it for sure- but it seem that an indivisual sponsor needs to make 125% of the poverty level.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, you could file a sponsor's document, and since you're income is not enough (that's what I figure since you have a co-sponsor) you have a CO-sponsor to show sufficient support...

Is there anyone else that could be your co-sponsor? Brother, sister, father?

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If the issue is temporary and she will be back on the job before the interview then you will take a letter from her employer stating her annual salary and documentation that she was out for X amount of time on disability which caused an anomaly in her income which is the reason her w2 was belong the requirement. They base sponsorship ability on current income. It will also help if the previous year was above the requirement.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.