ammy52382

Once you have filed for your fiance visa...

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

How long does it take to get an RFE? I am sure that everyone is different. However, you would think that if they were going to make the determination that an RFE was needed. It would be realized early on. I filed on the 15th, and clearly the status (I check it obsessively.) is in "initial review." I am sure it will remain that way for a while. I am just wondering when I should expect an RFE or if that just depends on the individual??

Thanks guys...

Amanda

Amanda U.S. + Adam U.K.

Engaged: 7/10/2009

Set to get married Sept. 2011

Trust me, you don't want a RFE. :)

USCIS can send you an RFE anytime during the average 5-month processing period. Hope you never get one!

How long does it take to get an RFE? I am sure that everyone is different. However, you would think that if they were going to make the determination that an RFE was needed. It would be realized early on. I filed on the 15th, and clearly the status (I check it obsessively.) is in "initial review." I am sure it will remain that way for a while. I am just wondering when I should expect an RFE or if that just depends on the individual??

Thanks guys...

Amanda

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Trust me, you don't want a RFE. :)

USCIS can send you an RFE anytime during the average 5-month processing period. Hope you never get one!

Lol...!! You are right about that. I don't want one. I guess in my post it sounded like I was wondering where mine was. Ha. I guess I meant to ask if they made the determination if you DO need one earlier than later. But you did say that it can happy any time during that 5 month period. So that's a good enough answer for me.

Thanks for the response. :)

Edited by ammy52382

Amanda U.S. + Adam U.K.

Engaged: 7/10/2009

Set to get married Sept. 2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

From what I've noticed looking at people's timelines, they usually happen no earlier than 2 months into the wait. I can see why you would assume you'd get RFE'd early on as that actually does make sense, but in reality, your file sits on a shelf for awhile before anyone looks at it. So that usually takes a few months. Of course, there are always exceptions but 2 months seems to be the norm.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks guys...

Amanda

We got ours 3 1/2 months after we mailed our petition to CSC. We see on their website that they have been "touching" our case (which is good, I guess), but we're still waiting for NOA2 (which is not so good; waiting is torture).

You're welcome. :) You have to remember, the 5-month wait is average waiting time...for some members, the wait has been longer than that, and a fraction of them receive an RFE late in their process (kinda frustrating when you've been waiting that long then the first piece of news you get is an RFE...not pretty).

Even more interesting, the feds announced fee increases on some of the applications, effective November. I-129F fees, however, will go down from $455 to $340. I-485, I-765, I-131 and biometrics fees will go up. Makes you wonder how that will affect application volumes as a whole.

In the meantime, let's hope none of us get any RFEs :)

Lol...!! You are right about that. I don't want one. I guess in my post it sounded like I was wondering where mine was. Ha. I guess I meant to ask if they made the determination if you DO need one earlier than later. But you did say that it can happy any time during that 5 month period. So that's a good enough answer for me.

Thanks for the response. :)

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You're welcome. :) You have to remember, the 5-month wait is average waiting time...for some members, the wait has been longer than that, and a fraction of them receive an RFE late in their process (kinda frustrating when you've been waiting that long then the first piece of news you get is an RFE...not pretty).

Even more interesting, the feds announced fee increases on some of the applications, effective November. I-129F fees, however, will go down from $455 to $340. I-485, I-765, I-131 and biometrics fees will go up. Makes you wonder how that will affect application volumes as a whole.

In the meantime, let's hope none of us get any RFEs :)

Actually, 5 months is the "official" timeframe to be approved/denied...if you look at the historical stats on this website, you'll see the average is more like 90 days. 5 months is what USCIS "guarantees" to have you approved/denied by, it is not the average. Simply looking at people's timelines disproves the 5 month theory...

Edited by JlovesA

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.