Churchland

K1 Visa Flowchart

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I was reading the VJ flowchart and was wondering why it was necessary to go to the SSA office two times. Once immediately after entering US and again after marriage.

Why not just go one time after marriage?

I have to take the day off and would like to do go one time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I was reading the VJ flowchart and was wondering why it was necessary to go to the SSA office two times. Once immediately after entering US and again after marriage.

A SSN is required for a driver's license, bank accounts, credit cards, ect... Since many K-1 couples do not get married immediately on arrival to the US and they wait 1 or 2 months, if they want to be able to do these things they need to get a SSN before their marriage. It is not required to do before marriage, but it is suggested to have it done ASAP.

Be warned that there have been many K-1's on VJ that have been given a hard time at the SS Office. The workers at the SS Offices are not always properly trained and informed that K-1's are eligible to obtain a SSN and they may try to deny you and tell you that you have to wait until your EAD or AOS comes through. You may have to convince them that they are required to issue a SSN to a K-1 holder.

You must get the SSN before your I-94 expires. Otherwise you will have to wait until you actually get you EAD or GC.

09/13/10 - Sent in I-129F

09/16/10 - NOA1 (Letter Received 09/24/10)
10/03/10 - Only Touch Before Approval
03/30/11 - NOA2 (195 Days from NOA1) (Letter Received 04/04/11)
04/07/11 - NVC Received File
04/12/11 - File Left NVC Sent to Embassy
04/13/11 - File Received by Embassy
04/19/11 - Packet 3 Received
04/20/11 - Packet 3 Sent to Embassy
04/29/11 - Packet 4 Received
06/06/11 - Interview (263 Days from NOA1) APPROVED!!!!
06/09/11 - VISA Received
07/04/11 - POE (Washington D.C. Dulles)
07/25/11 - Married

08/11/11 - Sent in I-485,I-131,I-765
08/17/11 - NOA1
09/12/11 - Biometrics
10/13/11 - EAD and AP Approved
10/22/11 - EAD Card Received
10/26/11 - AOS Interview (APPROVED!)
11/04/11 - Green Card Received

08/13/13 - Sent in I-751

08/20/13 - NOA1

09/24/13 - Biometrics (Bad Fingerprints)

10/17/13 - Redo Biometrics, Walk-In

12/03/13 - NOA2 (Approved!)

You don't have to go to get SSN twice, but it will make things easier for your wife to be if you do get the SSN in the 74 days before the I-94 expires. In order to prove your relationship it is advisable to have joint bank a/c, her name on a lease / mortgage and bills. A SSN is often required to do these things. Also, the AOS forms ask for a SSN (although I don't think it's a requirement).

I know it's a pain but this whole process is a pain and this is just one more painful step :) It's up to you, really, but the advice is to get the SSN in maiden name before the marriage and change it to married name afterwards.

Edited by Y&E

Since this is a government entity, do not expect to have to go only once :yes: . The main reason most people go rather after entering the USA is to get the SSN so they can start adding their new spouse to all those things that people seem to think require a SSN. Since the K-1 is only valid up until marriage, the SSA has been known to not issue an initial SSN to someone on a K-1 after they are married. The SSA will tell you to come back with the EAD or GC before they will issue a SSN--this is hit and miss depending on the training level of the people in your local SSA office.

If you really only want to make one trip and haing the SSN is not a big issue, I would wait unitl after you file your AOS and have the GC in hand. Then your changes of getting a SSN on the first trip are much improved--just remember to take along all documentation as it is better to have it with you and not need it than to be sitting there going, "I really wish I have brought that with me."

The SSN is one of those items that is case by case dependent as I've seen people have no problems and others could not get a SSN unitl they received their GC and even then they reported it was not a simple process. YMMV.

Hope this helps.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

First - if your state has a requirement that SHE has to have a SSN for 'marriage certificate requirements'

then

you'll need to get one prior to marriage, inbetween day 15 to day 74 of the POE date.

Second, getting a SSN at any SSA office, for a K-1 visa holder, is mostly 'hit or miss', as the clerks across the window are mostly clueless on how to do an intake on a K-1 visa holder. Most can be trained (by you) to look up yer lass in the SAVE database, and forestall any silly DHS/USCIS electronic verification (which dooms you to failure on acquisition, alas).

Third - actually getting the SSN within the 'time window' becomes immediately useful, as yer able to 'add her' to the many 'things' that you need to add her to, to generate some evidence for AOS and ROC.

Fourth - coming back the 2nd time usually occurs after marriage - either before that 74th day past POE OR after having EAD or Greencard in hand - to CHANGE the name with the SSA, if she wishes to take yer last name as HER name. This part isn't required, at all.

Some people think it's perfectly fine to wait until married, before day 74 of that time window, to go in and apply in the 'married name'. In general, I would agree, but specifically, this varies widely by SSA office, based on the knowledge of the clerks across the window. Some people have gotten lucky, some people have decidedly run into the 'bevy of dolts' that permeate the 'first level clerks' group within the SSA, and been told to return after green card in hand.

so, really, if yer goal is to 'get a SSN in a married name' then you really must plan and push, if you wish to make it happen for ONE trip into the SSA office.

It's your decision, ulimately. Keep in mind, though - remember when yer talking to USCIS clerks? How clueless they were? It's about 11 times worse at most SSA offices - and it becomes more painful - as not only is it 'face to face' stupidity, but each office has a security guard that can throw you out for challenging the stupidity of an SSA clerk.

Good Luck !

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

First - if your state has a requirement that SHE has to have a SSN for 'marriage certificate requirements'

then

you'll need to get one prior to marriage, inbetween day 15 to day 74 of the POE date.

Second, getting a SSN at any SSA office, for a K-1 visa holder, is mostly 'hit or miss', as the clerks across the window are mostly clueless on how to do an intake on a K-1 visa holder. Most can be trained (by you) to look up yer lass in the SAVE database, and forestall any silly DHS/USCIS electronic verification (which dooms you to failure on acquisition, alas).

Third - actually getting the SSN within the 'time window' becomes immediately useful, as yer able to 'add her' to the many 'things' that you need to add her to, to generate some evidence for AOS and ROC.

Fourth - coming back the 2nd time usually occurs after marriage - either before that 74th day past POE OR after having EAD or Greencard in hand - to CHANGE the name with the SSA, if she wishes to take yer last name as HER name. This part isn't required, at all.

Some people think it's perfectly fine to wait until married, before day 74 of that time window, to go in and apply in the 'married name'. In general, I would agree, but specifically, this varies widely by SSA office, based on the knowledge of the clerks across the window. Some people have gotten lucky, some people have decidedly run into the 'bevy of dolts' that permeate the 'first level clerks' group within the SSA, and been told to return after green card in hand.

so, really, if yer goal is to 'get a SSN in a married name' then you really must plan and push, if you wish to make it happen for ONE trip into the SSA office.

It's your decision, ulimately. Keep in mind, though - remember when yer talking to USCIS clerks? How clueless they were? It's about 11 times worse at most SSA offices - and it becomes more painful - as not only is it 'face to face' stupidity, but each office has a security guard that can throw you out for challenging the stupidity of an SSA clerk.

Good Luck !

Thanks for all the great information everyone.

Now it makes sense why the VJ section on SSN tells you to printout and bring the RM 00203 500 with you to the SSA to show the "uninformed" employees that a SSN can be issued.

Timeline

ya, regs and reg numbers confuse SSA clerks, much.

It's actually easier to make the request 'please look up in SAVE database with the Visa Name and/or A#'

you really want to push for the use of 'easy language' with any SSA clerk.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Success!. The SSA clerk had no problems issuing a SSN. The whole process took about an hour, mostly just waiting for our number to be called. She said the SSN card should arrive in 10-14 days.

Timeline

Yay ! Congratulations ! If it's convenient for you, go back tomorrow, ask for the number with the clerk.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.