mrdb52

Considering Getting Married in Hawaii

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello Fellow VJers. It won't be until March 2011, Norma and I are considering marrying in Hawaii before coming to Ohio. Has anyone here done this? Any suggestions/recommendations you can give would be appreciated. david

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello Fellow VJers. It won't be until March 2011, Norma and I are considering marrying in Hawaii before coming to Ohio. Has anyone here done this? Any suggestions/recommendations you can give would be appreciated. david

Are you resort-type people or off-beaten path type people? Oahu will have all your amenities and clubs and golf, but will be crowded and touristy. Maui or Kauai will be more rural and picturesque and you can more readily choose your own adventure, like driving up the Na Pali coast. I would say to start by identifying the island that closest fits your own vibe, and research from there. You can also base yourself in a more populated place and take cheap overnight trips to other islands.

which island suits you best?

owl.jpg

I-129F Sent : 2010-02-01

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-02-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-03-12

NVC Received : 2010-03-18

NVC Left : 2010-03-22

Consulate Received : 2010-04-12

Packet 3 Received : 2010-04-14

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-04-16 (logged 2010-04-27)

Packet 4 Received : 2010-04-29

Interview Date : 2010-06-02

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!!!

Visa in hand: 2010-06-09

POE: 2010-06-11

We is married now!: 2010-06-24

Are you resort-type people or off-beaten path type people? Oahu will have all your amenities and clubs and golf, but will be crowded and touristy. Maui or Kauai will be more rural and picturesque and you can more readily choose your own adventure, like driving up the Na Pali coast. I would say to start by identifying the island that closest fits your own vibe, and research from there. You can also base yourself in a more populated place and take cheap overnight trips to other islands.

which island suits you best?

like driving up the Na Pali coast.

NOT possible. Only by boat, hiking or chopper.

Edited by Dakine

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I would recommend either Kauai or Maui, they're both beautiful islands and though they're a bit less touristy, there are still plenty of beautiful hotels and beaches. Of course, I'm a bit biased because my grandparents live on Kauai so I've visited them a number of times. I'm sure :star: no matter where you end up though you'll love it.

Timeline

like driving up the Na Pali coast.

NOT possible. Only by boat, hiking or chopper.

Hiking! Yes, sorry. Was juxtaposing a gorgeous drive to Hana with a Na Pali hike in my head. It's been a while.

owl.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Paraguay
Timeline
Has anyone here done this? Any suggestions/recommendations you can give would be appreciated.

Do you mean as a point of entry?

Paraguay2010076-1.jpg

Timeline

The port of entry is not a concern. Recommendations/suggestions from those who have brought their fiancee to Hawaii and married there before proceeding to mainland is what I am looking for. Don't look into this that deep, please. Thanks.

Timeline

The port of entry is not a concern. Recommendations/suggestions from those who have brought their fiancee to Hawaii and married there before proceeding to mainland is what I am looking for. Don't look into this that deep, please. Thanks.

What specific suggestions/recommendations are you looking for? Is there something K1-relevant about your trip?

owl.jpg

My friends got married in Hawaii. It was a great excuse for a bunch of their closest buddies to take a fantastic vacation!

One thing I have heard is that you may want to avoid a beach wedding for two reasons: You (and your guests) won't be able to hear over the surf, and secondly, you can't control who wanders on through. Rambunctious kids, drunks or speedo clad tourists....Also, I noticed that the beautiful green sides of the islands have rather unpredictable weather and off-and-on rain (we were there in March) so your bride may wish for indoors so her hair isn't ruined. Even us ladies who don't normally spend much time coiffing our hair care about how it looks on the wedding day!!

Our friends' was at Turtle Bay and they had a nice chapel where you could see and hear the surf, but it provided a good wind break, and I thought it was beautiful. I think as part of the deal they got to work with the resort wedding planner who helped them with the details like a cake and flowers etc. Not sure how interested you are in all of that...regarding flowers, I think it's great that someone talked our friend into using native Hawaiian flowers instead of going for typical roses etc, because they just looked so fantastic!

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Hawaii, but we have stayed at both a big hotel and also rented a little place outside of the city, and infinitely preferred the rented condo to the big hotel. Our friends got a big beach house for all their family in the run up to the big day. If you're interested, I could PM you the place we stayed on Oahu...

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

Thanks Nik+Heather, your reply is what I am looking for. Turtle Bay sounds like something I need to research. I have googled and read quite a bit on Hawaii weddings, but knowing someone's firsthand knowledge is worth more than any online research. I would not have thought of things you mentioned on beach weddings. I was stationed at Camp Smith in 1972-75, my favorite spot was Hanauma Bay. So, I'll be showing Norma some of what I remember. TWOLS, this has nothing to do with our fiancee visa application. Any additional info would be appreciated. If you prefer to email me personally, that's good too. mrdb52@yahoo.com

Thanks again.

david

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.