Bad_Daddy

Belarus presidential vote set for Dec. 19

15 posts in this topic

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

I suspect that Lukashenko will make nice towards Russia just to get their support before the election. But then, Russia may not have anyone else they can depend on for their positions towards Russia other than Lukashenko. :whistle:

I suspect that Lukashenko will make nice towards Russia just to get their support before the election. But then, Russia may not have anyone else they can depend on for their positions towards Russia other than Lukashenko. :whistle:

I think the day's of the Lukashenko - Kremlin love affair are over with. But then again you might be right about the Kremlin not having a hand picked crony this time.

http://www.europeanbelarus.org/en/page/7/ <--- This is the man I would like to see lead Belarus in the near future.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

I think the day's of the Lukashenko - Kremlin love affair are over with. But then again you might be right about the Kremlin not having a hand picked crony this time.

http://www.europeanbelarus.org/en/page/7/ <--- This is the man I would like to see lead Belarus in the near future.

new internet controls were instituted in july to attempt to control what info gets in and out of Belarus. The govt has the right to block/ban/monitor a website within 24 hours if the content is found to be offensive etc... Many say it was instituted to have control over what info gets out about the coming election.

new internet controls were instituted in july to attempt to control what info gets in and out of Belarus. The govt has the right to block/ban/monitor a website within 24 hours if the content is found to be offensive etc... Many say it was instituted to have control over what info gets out about the coming election.

Lukashenko has been controlling the media for years now. The new internet "fence" as some call it, was set up by the Chinese for Lukashenko. The vote count will be an obvious sham like it has been in the past, and of course the OSCE will be left in the dark.

I feel bad for Belarusians, especially the younger generation who will pay the price of the older (brainwashed) generation of Soviet loving fools over there that buy into anything and everything that the government feeds them. Belarus will remain a backwater third world non - European country as long as they have dictators like Lukashenko running the show, and Moscow pulling the strings for whoever does eventually take over for Lukashenko.

Russia will do all in it's power to keep Belarus begging at the door step until the opportunity open's itself up for a Russia take over (so called union) of Belarus. Belarus best bet is distance itself as far away from Russia as possible once it finally rids itself of Lukashenko...who by the way was originally put into power by the Kremlin.

sigbet.jpg

Timeline

do you think there is even a remote chance that there can be a fair election? I dont see how Lukashenko would be voted out under the current voting standards in Belarus. I dont think the people are ready for a revolution yet. Like you said the country seems split between the old soviet era supporters and the younger western leaning people. My wife is pro-Lukashenko so I try and respect her opionion and not talk about politics and my opinions because she feels it is an attack on "her country". :wacko:

do you think there is even a remote chance that there can be a fair election? I dont see how Lukashenko would be voted out under the current voting standards in Belarus. I dont think the people are ready for a revolution yet. Like you said the country seems split between the old soviet era supporters and the younger western leaning people. My wife is pro-Lukashenko so I try and respect her opionion and not talk about politics and my opinions because she feels it is an attack on "her country". :wacko:

I'm thinking Lukashenko will rig the elections again for the fact once he's out of power he's going to be brought up on charges that should land him in prison for the remainder of his life. On the flip side Belarus is a fast sinking ship with no real hope of staying afloat. Lukashenko seems to have burnt his bridges with both the West and Russia.

http://charter97.org/en/news/

http://charter97.org/en/news/2010/9/15/32142/

Gross foreign debt of Belarus reached 45.5% of GDP

http://charter97.org/en/news/2010/9/16/32200/

From the year of 2011 the Russian gas price for Belarus will increase considerably by 35%.

sigbet.jpg

Timeline

I'm thinking Lukashenko will rig the elections again for the fact once he's out of power he's going to be brought up on charges that should land him in prison for the remainder of his life. On the flip side Belarus is a fast sinking ship with no real hope of staying afloat. Lukashenko seems to have burnt his bridges with both the West and Russia.

http://charter97.org/en/news/

http://charter97.org/en/news/2010/9/15/32142/

Gross foreign debt of Belarus reached 45.5% of GDP

From the year of 2011 the Russian gas price for Belarus will increase considerably by 35%.

Yeah, if Russia pulls is subsidies they are pretty much sunk. There has been a little bit of foreign investment in Belarus but its probably just because of the cheap labor? Im sure in the "post Lukashenko" era if there is one in the near future things will get a lot worse before they get better.

I thought that Russia had built a number of new gas transmission lines that bypass Ukraine and go through Belarus. If that is the case, then Belarus may end up doing the same thing as Ukraine when they were forced much higher gas prices. If that happens, the Europeans that depend on that gas will end up paying the price. Since Russia is suffering from depressed oil prices it is likely they will push hard on the gas price increases. This could be a long, cold and cruel winter for many. :angry:

I thought that Russia had built a number of new gas transmission lines that bypass Ukraine and go through Belarus. If that is the case, then Belarus may end up doing the same thing as Ukraine when they were forced much higher gas prices. If that happens, the Europeans that depend on that gas will end up paying the price. Since Russia is suffering from depressed oil prices it is likely they will push hard on the gas price increases. This could be a long, cold and cruel winter for many. :angry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nord_Stream

Nord Stream

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Stream

South Stream

sigbet.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Note, For anyone thinking of visiting the loved ones in Belarus during the winter months, think again. They screw around with the hot water supply and apparently turn down the heat to an entire block of apartments for a couple weeks each winter in order to control the costs of fuel. So you could end up taking '####### baths" for the duration of your stay if your family lives in the area where the heat is turned down during that time. Not fun. But again it gives you and idea of the cultural challenges in your honeys country:)

For those who are married to Lukashenko supporters, could someone explain why the Palace of Culture (where they have the ballet) a fairly new building has "Eastern Style" toilets in the womens washrooms? I've seen this in the middle east where this is quite common but why in Belarus?

Nothing could have prepared me for going all dressed up to the Ballet at Christmas and having to learn how to stand up and pee :)

you could end up taking '####### baths" for the duration of your stay if your family lives in the area where the heat is turned down

I like to take those anyway, regardless of the water temp!

explain why the Palace of Culture (where they have the ballet) a fairly new building has "Eastern Style" toilets in the womens washrooms? I've seen this in the middle east where this is quite common but why in Belarus?

Probably a lot more cost-effective since there aren't any pesky toilets involved.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

I like to take those anyway, regardless of the water temp!

Probably a lot more cost-effective since there aren't any pesky toilets involved.

I appears to me to be exactly the same level of fixtures and plumbing involved.

I appears to me to be exactly the same level of fixtures and plumbing involved.

You're not talking the "hole in the ground" with a water hose next to it?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.