lax75

Question about welfare and naturalization

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I have a friend who lost her job while she was on maternity leave so she basically used medicaid to pay for her childbirth expenses and now wants to apply for food stamps because she is unemployed. Her concern is whether this could negatively affect her naturalization process. She talked to a few people who say it could. Is this true?

From what I know, only citizens are allowed to apply for food stamps. Double check before doing something like this that could prevent her from naturalizing.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I believe only U.S. citizens are allowed to get benefits such as Medicaid and food stamps, etc.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Can go through the N-400 again, don't believe these questions are even asked. Was someone on this board a year or two ago regarding Medicaid, we couldn't find any reason, mostly with I-864 issues why a LPR could not apply for Medicaid and go against the contract of the I-864. A key question was to be honest when applying, if I recall correctly, they did receive it, an old woman with no health insurance and major medical problems.

Feel foodstamps would go directly against that I-864 contract, but I guess to be safe, would be to contact them and be fully honest or contact an immigration attorney, but the latter is a poor suggestion. How can you pay for an attorney if you can't even afford to buy food? Really don't want to give bad advice on this subject, but also understand a person without an income can get free legal advice. Can find about all of this stuff on the internet, helping a friend at this time with a similar circumstance. God, this country has really gone to hell since Nixson.

Filed: Other Timeline

(note: I posted some of this before on VJ, but I thought it would help you here too...)

Hi (lax75),

Sorry to hear about your (your friend's) medical situation. And yes, by all means possible, get the healthcare that you (your friend and their unborn child) need, no matter what the cost, as it's not worth the risk not getting treatment there. I know it would be hard to get affordable medical insurance, given the circumstaces so that's understandable too. Regardless, if you (your friend and their baby) are sick (or are in labour) and it is an emergency, just go to any hospital emergency room, and they will be able to treat you there, regardless of lack of immigration status and/or financial situation. Just because you are waiting for immigration, doesn't mean you have to wait for your health!

As for medicaid, it varies from to state to state, as to what they define as "means tested benefits". It's kind of contradictory in ways, where the federally-run USCIS says that medicaid is a benefit, while some states may say that it isn't. So do inquire with the specific state that you live in, as to what they say about such. As well, many states offer other low-cost healthcare options, which are not listed as means-tested benefits at all. For example, here in New York State, they have a program called family health plus, which is for low income families and is not a means tested benefit too. And yes, the sliding scale option is a good idea too, as you can at least pay for and get your healthcare at a reasonable rate that is best for you and your family financially.

Sigh, why can't healthcare be affordable (and free perhaps) to all, regardless of immigration status, income, health condition, or anything else? Everyone deserves good quality and affordable healthcare treatment, right?....

Hope this helps. Good luck with your friend and their baby and in their healthcare options and good luck with your immigration journey too.

Ant

P.S. If the child is born here in the USA, they are automatically US Citizens......and the means-tested benefit rules and other immigration rules won't apply to them...Just a thought.......

Hi guys, I have a friend who lost her job while she was on maternity leave so she basically used medicaid to pay for her childbirth expenses and now wants to apply for food stamps because she is unemployed. Her concern is whether this could negatively affect her naturalization process. She talked to a few people who say it could. Is this true?

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

IT DEPENDS, I WENT THROUGHT THE WHOLE FIANCEE VISA AND WITH THAT MY SPONSOR HAD TO SIGN AN AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT FOR AT LEAST 3 YEARS.

IF I WERE TO GO ON WELFARE DURING THE 3 YEARS THAT I WAS HERE HE WOULD BE RESPONSIBLE TO PAYING BACK THE STATE FOR MY BENEFITS. THEY DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO COME HERE AND USE BENEFITS. FOR EXAMPLE: MY IN PA IF MY HUSBAND WERE TO FILE FOR FOOD STAMPS HE WOULD FILE FOR HIMSELF AND HOW EVERYMAY DEPENDENTS. HE WOULD HAVE TO PAY BACK MY PORTION TO THE STATE.

AOS

Filed AOS............................October 17/08

NO1 for AOS,EAD, AP............October 31/08

Biometrics letter....................November 7/08

AOS sent to California.............................November 11/2008

Biometrics Appointment in York...............November 28/2008

AP Approved.............................................December 23/2008

EAD Card Received....................................January 3/2009

AP Received (I-512L)..................................January 5/2009

AOS Pending...............................................January 23/2009

AOS Approved, card on order will receive in 3 weeks..............March 10/2009

GREEN CARD RECIEVED MARCH 12/2009

ROC

VERMONT RECEIVED............................................DECEMBER 20/2010

NOA1 1 YEAR EXTENTION APPROVAL..............................DECEMBER 27/2010

RECIEVED BIOMETRICS APP.....................................JANUARY 7/2011

BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT......................................JANUARY 21/2011

APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................................MAY 9/2011

CARD WITHIN 60 DAYS

(note: I posted some of this before on VJ, but I thought it would help you here too...)

Hi (lax75),

Sorry to hear about your (your friend's) medical situation. And yes, by all means possible, get the healthcare that you (your friend and their unborn child) need, no matter what the cost, as it's not worth the risk not getting treatment there. I know it would be hard to get affordable medical insurance, given the circumstaces so that's understandable too. Regardless, if you (your friend and their baby) are sick (or are in labour) and it is an emergency, just go to any hospital emergency room, and they will be able to treat you there, regardless of lack of immigration status and/or financial situation. Just because you are waiting for immigration, doesn't mean you have to wait for your health!

As for medicaid, it varies from to state to state, as to what they define as "means tested benefits". It's kind of contradictory in ways, where the federally-run USCIS says that medicaid is a benefit, while some states may say that it isn't. So do inquire with the specific state that you live in, as to what they say about such. As well, many states offer other low-cost healthcare options, which are not listed as means-tested benefits at all. For example, here in New York State, they have a program called family health plus, which is for low income families and is not a means tested benefit too. And yes, the sliding scale option is a good idea too, as you can at least pay for and get your healthcare at a reasonable rate that is best for you and your family financially.

Sigh, why can't healthcare be affordable (and free perhaps) to all, regardless of immigration status, income, health condition, or anything else? Everyone deserves good quality and affordable healthcare treatment, right?....

Hope this helps. Good luck with your friend and their baby and in their healthcare options and good luck with your immigration journey too.

Ant

P.S. If the child is born here in the USA, they are automatically US Citizens......and the means-tested benefit rules and other immigration rules won't apply to them...Just a thought.......

Hey Ant, thanks for the advice. Spoke to her today and she said she talked to a lawyer who told her that it shouldnt affect her filing for citizenship. We will see how it goes then.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hey Ant, thanks for the advice. Spoke to her today and she said she talked to a lawyer who told her that it shouldnt affect her filing for citizenship. We will see how it goes then.

Lax75-No problem, glad to be able to help...:)

I wish her and her unborn baby all the best....

And good luck in finding good healthcare options for both of them too......

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.