Obama 2012

Are Mandatory School Vaccinations Constitutional?

64 posts in this topic

If someone is in a government school, then vaccinations should be mandatory, as they are in college.

If someone refuses to vaccinate, then yep, homeschooling is the best option.

Absolutely - the requirement to vaccinate protects everyone in this situation, including ironically those are un-vaccinated. Go figure.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Vaccinations requirement for Texas Public Schools

Poliomyelitis (Polio) Students must have three doses of polio vaccine and one dose must have been received on or after the fourth birthday. Or, a student may have had four doses of polio vaccine (any combination of IPV and OPV) before the fourth birthday.

Read More: Why Vaccinate Against Polio?

Diphtheria/Tetanus/Pertussis (DPT, DTaP) Students must have three doses of a vaccine containing diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis and one dose must have been received on or after the fourth birthday. One dose of a vaccine containing diphtheria and tetanus must have been received in the last ten years (a booster shot).

Read More: Why Vaccinate Against Diphtheria, Tetanus, or Pertussis?

Measles (MMR) Students must have two doses of a vaccine containing measles and one dose must have been received on or after the first birthday.

Read More: Why Vaccinate Against Measles, Mumps, or Rubella?

Rubella (MMR) Students must have one dose of a vaccine containing rubella and it must have been received on or after the first birthday.

Mumps (MMR) Students must have one dose of a vaccine containing mumps and it must have been received on or after the first birthday.

Hepatitis B Students must have three doses of a vaccine containing hepatitis B.

Read More: Why Vaccinate Against Hepatitis B?

Varicella (the chickenpox vaccine) Students must have one dose of a vaccine containing varicella and it must have been received on or after the first birthday. Two doses are required if the child was thirteen years old or older at the time of the first dose.

Read More: Why Vaccinate Against Chickenpox?

Hepatitis A Students must have two doses of a vaccine containing hepatitis A if they attend school in a high incidence geographic area or attend day care anywhere in Texas. It is recommended everyone get this vaccine, but it is not required to attend public schools in most places.

Read More: Why Vaccinate Against Hepatitis A?

That sure doesn't look like more than 20.

Expections/Exemptions are available in Texas

So what's the beef?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Absolutely - the requirement to vaccinate protects everyone in this situation, including ironically those are un-vaccinated. Go figure.

It's an alarmist mentality.

You 'might' get sick, so you can't go to this school unless you take our corporate show being pushed by pharmaceutical companies.

You 'might' get sick, so 'might' put others at risk.

Under this logic, we should all walk around wearing gas masks at the mall, in a movie theatre, etc. I mean after all, we 'might' get each other sick. :rolleyes:

The Vaccine War is amusing - http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/vaccines/view/ -

You cannot deny a public benefit/'right' based on some requirment.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

It's an alarmist mentality.

You 'might' get sick, so you can't go to this school unless you take our corporate show being pushed by pharmaceutical companies.

You 'might' get sick, so 'might' put others at risk.

Under this logic, we should all walk around wearing gas masks at the mall, in a movie theatre, etc. I mean after all, we 'might' get each other sick. :rolleyes:

The Vaccine War is amusing - http://www.pbs.org/w.../vaccines/view/ -

You cannot deny a public benefit/'right' based on some requirment.

No Paul, it's a quantifiable and known risk - infant mortality statistics tell the tale - you have no knowledge of how it was before vaccinations were widely available and seemingly nor do you care.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

No Paul, it's a quantifiable and known risk - infant mortality statistics tell the tale - you have no knowledge of how it was before vaccinations were widely available and seemingly nor do you care.

Yes.

And you CAN deny a public benefit based on a requirement. Try getting a drivers' license with bad and uncorrected vision.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes.

And you CAN deny a public benefit based on a requirement. Try getting a drivers' license with bad and uncorrected vision.

A DL is not a right. A public education is. Try again.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

That's it? That's the best you've got? Ok, I'll concede that. Is a passport a right? Gotta have your birth certificate for that one. (Poor choice 'eh?)

What are the other 12+ vaccinations? You've said twice that over 20 vaccinations were required. I listed 8 that Texas requires and the link for exempting yourself from them.

I was quite alarmed at the number of vaccinations my son had to have before he could attend school, he was up to date with all his required UK vaccinations. Once we started with the immigration process he had 5, once we arrived in the US he had a further 3 before they accepted he was fully covered, in the UK he would have only had his Diphtheria, tetanus and polio booster at age 13 and that would have been it. It seems to me that more 'boosters' are given in the US. I thought it was complete over kill.

ETA..Vaccinations are not mandatory to attend school in the UK, I also found it quite a shock that it was here.

Edited by Welshcookie

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Is a public education... really a constitutional right?

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.