ryna

Using an attorney after filing

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Ok, just looking for some advice here..

I filed our K1 petition back in mid-April (before I found VJ). It was received by VSC and accepted (NOA1) within a week. A couple days after receiving the NOA1, for some reason, I got nervous about filing on our own and wanted to have an attorney review it.

I did, and he looked at what I had filed and told me, "It looks great and is the same as we would have filed. I could take your $$ but, to be honest, you've already done my job." I thanked him for his honesty, took his card for future reference, and left.

Now, I'm starting to wonder if it's getting close to "future reference" time. If our petition passes the 5-month mark, and I have to contact USCIS and/or my Congressman and Senators, is it worth having an attorney do so? Is there any advantage whatsoever? Or, should it be reserved for, God forbid, if the visa is denied (if we ever get to the embassy) and we need to appeal, etc.?

Has anyone ever brought an attorney on-board well after filing with any success?

I'm trying not to run every conceivable scenario through my head but sometimes it's difficult not to...

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Honestly, it wouldn't really make much difference. Either you're making the call/writing the letter, or someone else is. It's usually not even the attorney, but a paralegal, etc. It's something you'd be spending $200/hr on that you could do yourself.

Angela & Peter

usa.gift4527.gifuk.gif

K-1 Process (Condensed)

02/01/10: Took atty's bad advice and applied for B2 visa

02/16/10: B2 Visa Interview: DENIED - K1 Required

05/07/10: Atty sent I-129F Petition to Chicago Lockbox

05/31/10: Atty rec'd Petition back due to wrong location

06/01/10: I-129F pkg sent to VSC

06/11/10: NOA1 Rec'd/Touch

09/17/10: INTERVIEW = APPROVED

10/22/10: Marriage in the US

AOS Process

11/13/10: Mailed Packet to CHI Lockbox

11/18/10: NOA1 Rec'd via Text

11/20/10: Soc. Sec. fixed mistake/Processed SSN

11/23/10: Rec'd SSN

11/23/10: Touch

12/09/10: RFE - Supposedly didn't sign I-864 when I KNOW I did. (Copies to prove it.)

12/20/10: Biometrics Appt

12/20/10: RFE Response Rec'd/Processing Resumed

12/27/10: Transferred to CSC

12/29/10: Contacted Senator re: EAD Expedite Request

12/30/10: AOS Touch

12/30/10: EAD & AP Approved (Card Production Ordered)

01/05/11: AOS Touch (Rec'd @ CSC)

01/06/11: AOS Touch/EAD Mailed

01/08/11: EAD & AP Rec'd

01/10/11: AOS Touch

01/14/11: EAD Touch

01/26/11: AOS APPROVED!!

02/02/11: Green Card Received

Ok, just looking for some advice here..

I filed our K1 petition back in mid-April (before I found VJ). It was received by VSC and accepted (NOA1) within a week. A couple days after receiving the NOA1, for some reason, I got nervous about filing on our own and wanted to have an attorney review it.

I did, and he looked at what I had filed and told me, "It looks great and is the same as we would have filed. I could take your $$ but, to be honest, you've already done my job." I thanked him for his honesty, took his card for future reference, and left.

Now, I'm starting to wonder if it's getting close to "future reference" time. If our petition passes the 5-month mark, and I have to contact USCIS and/or my Congressman and Senators, is it worth having an attorney do so? Is there any advantage whatsoever? Or, should it be reserved for, God forbid, if the visa is denied (if we ever get to the embassy) and we need to appeal, etc.?

Has anyone ever brought an attorney on-board well after filing with any success?

I'm trying not to run every conceivable scenario through my head but sometimes it's difficult not to...

I know what you mean by running through the scenarios. I'v known my fiancee for over three years now and never had tro question the genuineness of our relationship. Now that I've filed the I-129F, I try to look with the eyes of others (consular officers) and question everything. Sometimes, I just surprise myself with the wild scenarios trhat I come up with.

Drop the scenarios as much as you can and try to give a call to just ensure that your file is in the system. Maybe if there is an inquiry from you, it might prompt them to move on it. Unlikely but you never know. But do call them with regularity if they exceed the 5 month mark.

Good luck.

7-30-07 - Met in Santa Marta, Colombia

9-19-08 - Engaged

7-13-10 - I-129F sent by USPS Expressmail to VSC;

10-18-10 - NOA2!!!!!!!!!! (Received in hand 10-22-10)

11-12-10 - Sent email to Embassy asking about petition; response "Petition rec'd; send in documents"; sent same day

11-24-10 - Called the Department of State; interview has been scheduled

11-29-10 - Package 3 received by beneficiary

01-19-11 - Interview - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

01-27-11 - Passport received; visa in hand

02-08-11 - POE - Fort Lauderdale, Fla MISSED FLIGHT; 02-10-11 - POE second time's the charm. Easy POE. Welcome to the USA.

03-04-11 - Married

AOS

05-08-11 - Mailed out I-485, I-765 & I-131;

05-16-11 - Text & email msgs with Receipt Number

05-17-11 - Applied for Expedited AP as Victoria's mother was very ill; 05-18-11 - Picked up AP document

05-20-11 - Victoria returns to Colombia; NOA1 for all 3 forms arrive

06-03-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE 06-07-11 - RFE arrives for 2010 Tax Return

06-08-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Post Office returned a letter that was sent by USCIS; 06-09-11 - Issue resolved

06-14-11 - RFE response sent; 06-21-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE response under review

06-29-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Case transferred to CSC

08-30-11 - Victoria returns to US

08-31-11 - Biometrics done; Text message - "EAD Card Production ordered"

09-11 - Case transferred back from CSC

11-22-11 - Interview in Albany Field Office. AOS APPROVED.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Most attorneys would probably tell you they would be the most effective from the outset. However, that's only a guess on my part.

I know how you feel. I have confidence in myself with regards to the inital filing. However, I have recently been looking ahead to the consular phase of this and reading the great advice that people are giving and reading what they have done when they went through this. I've also read about negative experiences that people have had to deal with too (i.e. denials). Thankfully I had the presence of mind to save things such as airline tickets, emails, text messages, etc. However, it did not occur to me to save chat logs until very recently. Based on everything I have been reading about the consular phase of this, the best way to describe how I currently feel about things can best be done with a sports reference, "I'm behind in the game and overmatched; so I'm calling a timeout to determine what kind of reinforcements I need." :wacko: If that means hiring an attorney, so be it. This is just way too important to leave to chance and hope alone. I will find my own path and make my own decision.

I wish each and every one of you well on your own visa journeys! :D

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.