Michele&Omer

CAN YOU DELAY A CR1/IR1 INTERVIEW?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Been thinking too long tonight and came up with this scenario...

Due to the IMBRA RFE by the time our interview for the K3 happens we will have been married almost a year.

During this time our I-130 has been approved and is at the NVC.

I have paid the AOS and IV fees but have not yet sent the I-864 back or recieved the DS-230 package.

Now my questions/thoughts are:

If we delay the interview another year we could get the 10 year GC instead of the 2 year conditional GC.

If we take our time returning the DS-230 and the I-864 forms and documents how much time do we have to return them without the I-130 being closed for being idle too long??

If I read correctly the K3 is good for 2 years so we should have plenty of time to continue for the 10 year GC.

I know by waiting he will have to have his medical redone, will they accept a medical from the USA as long as it is with the certified doctors or would he have to have it redone in Turkey?

As long as we have the I-130 active is he elgible to work or apply for an EAD?? Or is that option out since we are not planning on doing the AOS in the USA??

My other worry is my husband is from Turkey and I am assuming he may have to go thru some extra security checks, do they repeat the checks for both the K3 and the I-130 or do they use the same results for both of them?

The other nice thing about waiting another year is that by then he will be ready for a return trip home and I will have had time to replenish some of my vacation time so we can spend a couple weeks back to visit family and friends.

Just curious about the pros and cons of waiting/delaying the CR1/IR1 visa.

Thanks for any imput,

Michele

OUR K-3 INTERVIEW WAS ON NOV. 1ST @ 10:00!!!

VISA APPROVED!!!

WE ARRIVE IN THE USA ON NOV. 10TH!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Not sure why you would want to do the K-3 and aos, the end result is the same as a CR-1 a 2 year green card. So I don't see how your scenario would work, unless you don't adjust status and if you don't do that no he won't be working. If you were to send in your fees and such for the CR-1, it could possibly beat the K-3 to the embassy. IMO getting the CR-1 and the 2 year green card is a much better option that getting the K-3 and waiting it out for a 10 year green card unless of course you are finacially capable of taking care of your spouse and do not need his income.

Someone will come along with the legalities of it all I am sure. Edited to say: If you do have hold ups at the embassy, you could still end up with the IR-1, unless of course you don't send in the fees to keep it processing.

Edited by Tim and Bethanie

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: Timeline
Not sure why you would want to do the K-3 and aos, the end result is the same as a CR-1 a 2 year green card. So I don't see how your scenario would work, unless you don't adjust status and if you don't do that no he won't be working. If you were to send in your fees and such for the CR-1, it could possibly beat the K-3 to the embassy. IMO getting the CR-1 and the 2 year green card is a much better option that getting the K-3 and waiting it out for a 10 year green card unless of course you are finacially capable of taking care of your spouse and do not need his income.

Someone will come along with the legalities of it all I am sure. Edited to say: If you do have hold ups at the embassy, you could still end up with the IR-1, unless of course you don't send in the fees to keep it processing.

beth you got it back words...

she wants the IR1. forget the CR1 and the K-3

she wanna wait the extra year. so her man get the 10 year green card. I am sitting here thinking

this is a JOKE.. and its not funny.

bells go off in my head . its sounding like this:

IMMIGRATING FOR BENIFITS.. ;)

* turn it off.. make it stop *

OP..

Speak a little louder so the Embassy and USICS can hear ya.

shon.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

beth you got it back words...

she wants the IR1. forget the CR1 and the K-3

she wanna wait the extra year. so her man get the 10 year green card. I am sitting here thinking

this is a JOKE.. and its not funny.

bells go off in my head . its sounding like this:

IMMIGRATING FOR BENIFITS.. ;)

No way

I want the K3!

We want to be together.

What I am wondering rather than spend all the money and the time on the CR1 why not wait the extra year and get the IR1.

I am financially able to wait the extra year, yes the extra income will always be nice but the cost of gettung the GC for 2 years and have to go thru removing conditions at that point seems like the smarter thing to do would be to wait the extra year and just get the 10 year GC and be done with immigration.

It was just an idea that I dreamed up while not being able to sleep last night...if is something that would not work I guess going back alone for his CR1 interview will be our option as I will have run out of vacation time for a 2nd interview at this point in time....I was thinking that being a couple and being there for him at the interview and having the time to live as a family would also be an advantage, I guess I saw the the situation differently than I described.

Thanks for you imput.

Michele

* turn it off.. make it stop *

OP..

Speak a little louder so the Embassy and USICS can hear ya.

OUR K-3 INTERVIEW WAS ON NOV. 1ST @ 10:00!!!

VISA APPROVED!!!

WE ARRIVE IN THE USA ON NOV. 10TH!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I just don't get it....you are willing to wait another year? Okay, I can see a few months to avoid the headache of having to prove your relationship yet again, but a year???

Now think of it this way, what would a consular officer feel about an obvious attempt to stall for a year? If it were me I would be thinking what Shon is thinking.

My 2nd anniversary is in October, I am leaving to go to Morocco in 2 days, and will be there almost a month. If by chance my husband does get his visa before our 2 year anniversary I would be willing to have him wait another 5 weeks to come so as to avoid this hell of proving our relationship again, but no way would I wait another year!

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Delaying the CR-1 process does not make sense.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: Timeline

Michele,

Keep in mind that LPR status is given when the immigrant enters the USA, not when the visa is issued. Once the visa is issued the visa holder has 6 months to come to the USA.

If there are things about the case that may cause the immigrant visa process to encounter some delays you may not want to intentionally add your own delays or you could wind up pushing things out further than you desire.

Yodrak

Been thinking too long tonight and came up with this scenario...

Due to the IMBRA RFE by the time our interview for the K3 happens we will have been married almost a year.

During this time our I-130 has been approved and is at the NVC.

I have paid the AOS and IV fees but have not yet sent the I-864 back or recieved the DS-230 package.

Now my questions/thoughts are:

If we delay the interview another year we could get the 10 year GC instead of the 2 year conditional GC.

If we take our time returning the DS-230 and the I-864 forms and documents how much time do we have to return them without the I-130 being closed for being idle too long??

If I read correctly the K3 is good for 2 years so we should have plenty of time to continue for the 10 year GC.

I know by waiting he will have to have his medical redone, will they accept a medical from the USA as long as it is with the certified doctors or would he have to have it redone in Turkey?

As long as we have the I-130 active is he elgible to work or apply for an EAD?? Or is that option out since we are not planning on doing the AOS in the USA??

My other worry is my husband is from Turkey and I am assuming he may have to go thru some extra security checks, do they repeat the checks for both the K3 and the I-130 or do they use the same results for both of them?

The other nice thing about waiting another year is that by then he will be ready for a return trip home and I will have had time to replenish some of my vacation time so we can spend a couple weeks back to visit family and friends.

Just curious about the pros and cons of waiting/delaying the CR1/IR1 visa.

Thanks for any imput,

Michele

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.