mamaSue

Same day ceremony??

21 posts in this topic

I've got my citizenship interview in Atlanta mid-September, at 12.45pm.

Can anybody give me an idea what are the chances of having a same-day oath ceremony..... how could I find out before the day ??

Any ideas??

Old and Grumpy....But an American Citizen!!!

Hi,

No one knows when the ceremonies are held. However, one question I can ask and depending on the answer your chances can go up or down.

- When did you become a LPR? If your interview is before the 3rd year mark, then you will not be eligible for the oath. Some people get their application processed quickly and get interviewed before the 3rd year... they have to wait.

Seeing that your interview is at 12:45pm, that lessens the chances since I believe ceremonies happen at 1 or 2 pm which will not give them enough time to get your name on the list and prepare a certificate for you.

However, I could be wrong! Atlanta is one of the few locations that does more frequent ceremonies and I have done my research and many people got same day oaths.

Keep your hopes up and ask the IO about the oath if they don't mention it.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

I kindof figured the 12.45 slot might be too late too! :(

I became a LPR on August 31 2007, so timewise I would qualify.

Would be nice to not have to drive down to Atlanta twice!

I kindof figured the 12.45 slot might be too late too! :(

I became a LPR on August 31 2007, so timewise I would qualify.

Would be nice to not have to drive down to Atlanta twice!

Make sure you ask and see if they can tell you if that day they have a ceremony, and sometimes they are willing to go place your name on the list, sort of a special request. Try to get there a little early and be ready to get interviewed (if the interviewer is ready). You never know as USCIS is very unpredictable.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Make sure you ask and see if they can tell you if that day they have a ceremony, and sometimes they are willing to go place your name on the list, sort of a special request. Try to get there a little early and be ready to get interviewed (if the interviewer is ready). You never know as USCIS is very unpredictable.

Good tip!! It actually says on the letter you can't get there more than 30 minutes early......

I'll get there EXACTLY 30 minutes early!!!!

We have our interview scheduled at the Pittsburgh, PA office on September 16 at 2:30 p.m.. So I'm assuming with this late of an interview, I can't possibly have the oath ceremony the same day. The letter informs us not to arrive more than 30 minutes ahead of the scheduled appointment.

It would be nice to avoid an extra 2 hour trip for the ceremony, but it doesn't look like it will happen. Unles others that have been to Pittsburgh had the oath ceremony the same day as the interview, I would like to know.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Could get down on your knees and beg for a same day oath ceremony, didn't work for my wife at the St. Paul office. Not their procedure, but did get a promise when she would receive her oath ceremony letter. That promise was not kept, but Feingold held them to it.

You have to read your oath aloud and sign it at the interview, oath ceremony is just a crowd with lip service where no one cares about you except you and your friends or relatives that you got your certificate. For some of us, another missed day of work and a terribly long drive.

oath ceremony is just a crowd with lip service where no one cares about you except you and your friends or relatives that you got your certificate. For some of us, another missed day of work and a terribly long drive.

Nick I agree about the inconvenience of a long drive etc..... but to me, the ceremony signifies the end of a long and arduous journey of dealing with US beauracracy.....and finally belonging to the country I'm living in!

Timeline

Nick I agree about the inconvenience of a long drive etc..... but to me, the ceremony signifies the end of a long and arduous journey of dealing with US beauracracy.....and finally belonging to the country I'm living in!

Have to agree, can say for the first time, everyone there in authority was super nice, and almost had a tear in my eye when my wife received her certificate, very touching ceremony. Ha, could bring in my camera, but not my cell phone, even though it already has a camera in it and and off mode for the ringer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

You have to read your oath aloud and sign it at the interview,

No you don't have too, if your office did that it is an exception. In fact that is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that. The oath you normally take at the interview concerns answering questions at the interview truthfully.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Timeline

No you don't have too, if your office did that it is an exception. In fact that is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that. The oath you normally take at the interview concerns answering questions at the interview truthfully.

It happened in St. Paul, least according to my wife, she has a great memory for detail. Yes, she had to say an oath before the interview, something about telling the truth, then after she passed, had to read the allegiance oath out loud exactly like it printed at the end of the N-400 and sign her full name. She even practiced it beforehand, didn't memorize it, recall she had trouble pronouncing that word, "potentate".

Yeah, the oath ceremony was okay, there she could have just done lip service, no one would know the difference, they didn't even make her sign her certificate afterwards, she did that at home. Would think she should have done that before and officer. But that seven week delay we had between her interview and unknown date of her oath ceremony was yet another event in the twilight zone. Can't plan anything, afraid to get too far away from your mailbox, you know the routine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I was wondering about this as well. I really want my children to attend their stepfather's oath ceremony - I feel it would be educational, and mean alot to all of us. But, I don't want to drag them along for the interview just to find out they'll have to wait for another day. But I don't want to take the chance of having them miss it.... I guess there's always the option to say "no thanks" if offered same day, but who wants to do that?

I mean, does NO ONE ever know before going if there is any chance of having their oath ceremony that day? It's a big enough deal for many people that it seems strange there's no way to know ahead of time.... whether or not to bring along family members....

I wish there was an easy way to find out where it is/is not done, how often, etc...

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Timeline

I was wondering about this as well. I really want my children to attend their stepfather's oath ceremony - I feel it would be educational, and mean alot to all of us. But, I don't want to drag them along for the interview just to find out they'll have to wait for another day. But I don't want to take the chance of having them miss it.... I guess there's always the option to say "no thanks" if offered same day, but who wants to do that?

I mean, does NO ONE ever know before going if there is any chance of having their oath ceremony that day? It's a big enough deal for many people that it seems strange there's no way to know ahead of time.... whether or not to bring along family members....

I wish there was an easy way to find out where it is/is not done, how often, etc...

venusfire

try searching members on vj and put a filter on for your office and 'naturalization' or 'naturalization pending' - then pm the members and ask.

That was my idea but there are no members who have gone through my office - yakima

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

try searching members on vj and put a filter on for your office and 'naturalization' or 'naturalization pending' - then pm the members and ask.

That was my idea but there are no members who have gone through my office - yakima

Thats the problem with this board, you learn that the some odd 80 field offices all have different procedures. And even how your interview goes is further dependent on which IO you get stuck with. Seems like there should be more consistency, but apparently they let the office managers play games to their liking.

Timeline

Thats the problem with this board, you learn that the some odd 80 field offices all have different procedures. And even how your interview goes is further dependent on which IO you get stuck with. Seems like there should be more consistency, but apparently they let the office managers play games to their liking.

USCIS site says they aim at doing ceremonies withing 4 weeks - then it says check your office profile for their particular policy. I just have done (Yakima). There is a policy page but no mention of interview to ceremony wait time.

The whole set up is a joke that has had me running round in circles since early 2005. I must have worn 6 mouses out.

With luck I should be free of these goons in 3 to 4 months.

I pity all the illegal Hispanics who will have to do 9 years on a work visa after the amnesty and then start this process. I am sure it will be just as cruddy in 12 years from now. My wife says it will be like the Reagan amnesty and nobody will bother doing it.

My application is going ridiculously well at the mo - I fear a BIG crash at some stage coz nobody gets a free pass from a damn good waterboarding.

moresheep400100.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.