txant

Can American visit UK without problems?

61 posts in this topic

I'm actually visiting my wife in the UK for the first time since we've gotten married (also the first time I'm seeing her since we got married). I am so excited, but also nervous. My last stay in the UK ended almost a year ago, and it was just under 6 months (I think the exact number is 5 months and 20 days). I went out for a two week vacation, and stayed, cuz thats how I met my now wife, which is a very long story.

That being said, I have a letter from work saying how much I make and when I will be returning, my return ticket, and my NOA1 that I will be bringing. I figure when I get to the CO I will just say I'm visiting, and if pried for questions just tell the truth. I shouldn't have any problems right? Anything else I may want to bring?

I'm actually visiting my wife in the UK for the first time since we've gotten married (also the first time I'm seeing her since we got married). I am so excited, but also nervous. My last stay in the UK ended almost a year ago, and it was just under 6 months (I think the exact number is 5 months and 20 days). I went out for a two week vacation, and stayed, cuz thats how I met my now wife, which is a very long story.

That being said, I have a letter from work saying how much I make and when I will be returning, my return ticket, and my NOA1 that I will be bringing. I figure when I get to the CO I will just say I'm visiting, and if pried for questions just tell the truth. I shouldn't have any problems right? Anything else I may want to bring?

Sounds to me like you have some really high powered documentation already. How long are you staying? Usually short stays are not questioned much

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Sounds to me like you have some really high powered documentation already. How long are you staying? Usually short stays are not questioned much

Not long enough (I'm sure everyone can relate to that)! I'm will be there from the 26th to the 16th so only 10 days. I think I should be fine as well, like I said, I'm just concerned that my last stay of nearly 6 months will come back to haunt me.

On a side note, I wonder if there is any way my wife and I can spend most of this waiting process together. It's so hard to start a marriage when we are 5000 miles apart. I mean, she is unemployed ATM, and I do make enough for the two of us. Then again, if there was, I'm sure someone here would have thought of it already.

Not long enough (I'm sure everyone can relate to that)! I'm will be there from the 26th to the 16th so only 10 days. I think I should be fine as well, like I said, I'm just concerned that my last stay of nearly 6 months will come back to haunt me.

On a side note, I wonder if there is any way my wife and I can spend most of this waiting process together. It's so hard to start a marriage when we are 5000 miles apart. I mean, she is unemployed ATM, and I do make enough for the two of us. Then again, if there was, I'm sure someone here would have thought of it already.

We can surely relate. If she is unemployed, she could use that time off and try coming to the US for the 90 days on the VWP. That should take care of a good portion of the processing time! Just as the NOA1 will help you get into the UK, the NOA1 should help her enter the US as proof that you guys are already going by the right path.

K-1:

AOS:

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

ROC:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

My only concern is that they are already married, which may or may not cause problems upon inspection at the POE. As she is an intended immigrant on the merit of the CR-1 (I presume) petition, they may not permit entry. I think this situation is a bit riskier than a K1 applicant attempting the same journey.

Yeah, I have thought about bringing her over for the 90 days, but it is such a risk. If she got turned back at the border, I have no idea what would happen to the application.

On that note, looking back I wonder if getting married first and applying for the cr-1 was the best idea, it seems like as far as time is concerned, I kinda shot myself in the foot. Not to mention with all the traveling the savings just doesn't add up.

Oh sorry for the quick second post. Just wanted to say, if I sound a bit whiny, I'm just really missing her today. Some days are harder than others, and today is a particularly rough one. Again, I'm sure everyone here can relate.

I don't think she risks your application if she got turned away, and if she brings enough documentation that she plans to return it really shouldn't be the issue.

I think you will be fine - if you say you are visiting your wife, it will invite further questions but if you can explain that the NOA1 is proof that she is planning to move to the US they should get the idea that you are planning to return as well :)

90day.jpg

Timeline

The waiting is definitely tough, so I really do feel for you. I had a few times when dating my now husband where we didn't get to see each other in person for over 8 months. No fun at all. And I promise you while it all seems so awful now, once you are together that distance quickly fades into oblivion.

With regard to the CR1, whats done is done and in the long run, it is the better option - instant green card and all that stuff. If she does try to come over and is turned away she simply needs to disclose that once she reaches the embassy interview page. Its not like she'd incur a ban, just a refusal of entry, which admittely sucks, but isn't horrific in terms of holding up the visa.

Tough choices ahead, I'm afraid. i wish you the best. :)

I don't think she risks your application if she got turned away, and if she brings enough documentation that she plans to return it really shouldn't be the issue.

The trick is, what do we have for her to bring as proof when unemployed. On a side note (since I'm feeling talkative) originally, we were planning for me to go that direction since the visa wait time for their entire process is on average about a month (lucky!). The problem was, we just couldn't find her a job up in East Yorkshire, and she didn't really have any where else for her to go. In the end we still plan on going that direction, hopefully it will be easier in a few years. Though as Julez said "whats done is done". There was about 6 1/2 months between when I left England and when we got married, and it was one of the hardest 6 months of my life. What a story we will have at the end of this all!

Again, all I can do is hope and pray that the visa process picks up some speed.

Where was the flight from that landed in Manchester when this happened? And where did you connect to?

The flights were: D.C. --> Chicago --> Manchester --> Inverness (yeah, very tiring as a red eye!)

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

The flights were: D.C. --> Chicago --> Manchester --> Inverness (yeah, very tiring as a red eye!)

That's very strange - I can think of a few ways you would avoid inspection entering the UK (through Ireland, for example) but a flight that would have been full of Americans? I realize you were transferring - someone must have dropped the ball at the transfer desk.

90day.jpg

Well, POE (Port of Entry - just in case the acronyms are getting to ya) is always a risk, but there are many here on VJ who have visited their spouses on the visa waiver program and even said so without problems. It makes me sad to think that a couple would self-impose a needless separation. Many many more people get in than are refused.

This thread has a lot of chaff to sort through for the relevant information, but there are other UKers who share their experience visiting the US (multiple times even) while the I-130 was processing. http://www.visajourn...ing-my-husband/

As for evidence, the return ticket and the NOA1 for the spousal petition will be useful.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

AOS:

ROC:

Timeline

Your question, I believe, was on topic. And far as having her visit, I think it is worth a try. Just make sure she doesn't bring too much stuff to make look like she's not planning on leaving. Also, make she she has some sort of proof of ties to the UK. Good luck!

That's very strange - I can think of a few ways you would avoid inspection entering the UK (through Ireland, for example) but a flight that would have been full of Americans? I realize you were transferring - someone must have dropped the ball at the transfer desk.

Well...after some reflection after the event, I realized a couple of things that would make it mostly my fault.

When everyone was getting off, there were a bunch of stairs to go up. I had all my stuff in the carry-on to avoid checking a bag and was tired...saw an elevator next to the stairs and went up it to the next floor. There was a door when I got off the elevators and it was locked. I knocked on the door and a flight attendant (I assume) asked me where I was going and I showed her my flight ticket to Inverness and she let me in, which was in the terminal.

Looking back on it, I should have realized at the time that it was pretty dumb of me...I did ask the airport security guard at Inverness about it and he said that it was no problem.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.