txant

Can American visit UK without problems?

61 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
You're feisty Jill.

(I have no idea what that smiley is supposed to be, but it's kinda cute.)

Well, when I see someone with a fiance/husband from a country other than the U.K. giving advice about the U.K. embassy on the U.K board, and it's not 100% correct, it annoys me!

Just because it SAYS you canm attend the interview does not mean the border guards will let you in!

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Filed: Other Country: Scotland
Timeline

My husband and I will be filing for the IR1/CR1 soon. He is in the UK and I am in the US. We know once we file that he would have trouble visiting the US so we don't plan to attempt that, but would there be any trouble for me to visit him in the UK during his pending immigration?

Thanks

As long as you have the visa for 6 months for UK visit you should be ok,my wife visited twice to UK with 6 months visa with a 6 months "break" cos NVC decided to rip the p*

by making me wait 2 years for a visa.If you decide to return to visit UK during the 6 months "break" they get suspicious and they might kick you back out.

It's weird that everyone else seems to be having trouble with Manchester. I got rerouted to Manchester instead of Bristol due to heavy storms in Atlanta on the way out. Manchester was a breeze! I told them I was meeting my fiance's family for the first time, just spending a week, huge grin on my face the whole time. The guy there said, "Congratulations," stamped my passport good for 6 months, and I went on my merry way to my connection flight to Heathrow. :blush:

Angela & Peter

usa.gift4527.gifuk.gif

K-1 Process (Condensed)

02/01/10: Took atty's bad advice and applied for B2 visa

02/16/10: B2 Visa Interview: DENIED - K1 Required

05/07/10: Atty sent I-129F Petition to Chicago Lockbox

05/31/10: Atty rec'd Petition back due to wrong location

06/01/10: I-129F pkg sent to VSC

06/11/10: NOA1 Rec'd/Touch

09/17/10: INTERVIEW = APPROVED

10/22/10: Marriage in the US

AOS Process

11/13/10: Mailed Packet to CHI Lockbox

11/18/10: NOA1 Rec'd via Text

11/20/10: Soc. Sec. fixed mistake/Processed SSN

11/23/10: Rec'd SSN

11/23/10: Touch

12/09/10: RFE - Supposedly didn't sign I-864 when I KNOW I did. (Copies to prove it.)

12/20/10: Biometrics Appt

12/20/10: RFE Response Rec'd/Processing Resumed

12/27/10: Transferred to CSC

12/29/10: Contacted Senator re: EAD Expedite Request

12/30/10: AOS Touch

12/30/10: EAD & AP Approved (Card Production Ordered)

01/05/11: AOS Touch (Rec'd @ CSC)

01/06/11: AOS Touch/EAD Mailed

01/08/11: EAD & AP Rec'd

01/10/11: AOS Touch

01/14/11: EAD Touch

01/26/11: AOS APPROVED!!

02/02/11: Green Card Received

Okay. Manchester was a really weird experience for me...

I usually fly through Heathrow since it is cheaper from D.C. but we went to Scotland in April so I flew through Manchester up to Inverness.

For some reason, I was never put through the immigration border patrol. I just followed everyone else and got my connecting flight and there was no one to talk to about it. I got to Inverness and there was nothing there either. I even asked one of the security guards, "Um...I never went through immigration. Shouldn't I get my passport stamped?" but he said it was fine :huh:

It seems like this would be a humongous security risk. Anyone had this experience?

It just now occurs to me that I wonder if this will cause problems in the future. Maybe I should go over and ask UK-Yankee.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
"Um...I never went through immigration. Shouldn't I get my passport stamped?" but he said it was fine

It seems like this would be a humongous security risk. Anyone had this experience?

It just now occurs to me that I wonder if this will cause problems in the future. Maybe I should go over and ask UK-Yankee.

WOW. Haven't had that experience...I am assuming you have other records to show you visited there without the passport stamp right? Well, you have to based on your spot in the visa process. Did they say anything about it when you came back into the US?

It's weird that everyone else seems to be having trouble with Manchester

Perhaps it was because I was going to Scotland instead of England. Apparently, if you're from a place where public transportation is the norm, they find it odd if you want to take a train ride to see the country...LOL.

Edited by Rob and Jill

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Justine, were you saying you were traveling from Manchester to Inverness?

You wouldn't have to go through immigration to get from England to Scotland and back. Only when you first entered the UK. They're considered one entity to immigration. While I was visiting we flew from Bristol to Edinburgh to visit Peter's brother and his family. No immigration stamps their either. Your entry stamp when you entered the UK was good for the time allotted and you didn't need another stamp for Scotland (or Wales, or Northern Ireland).

Hope that helps!

Angela & Peter

usa.gift4527.gifuk.gif

K-1 Process (Condensed)

02/01/10: Took atty's bad advice and applied for B2 visa

02/16/10: B2 Visa Interview: DENIED - K1 Required

05/07/10: Atty sent I-129F Petition to Chicago Lockbox

05/31/10: Atty rec'd Petition back due to wrong location

06/01/10: I-129F pkg sent to VSC

06/11/10: NOA1 Rec'd/Touch

09/17/10: INTERVIEW = APPROVED

10/22/10: Marriage in the US

AOS Process

11/13/10: Mailed Packet to CHI Lockbox

11/18/10: NOA1 Rec'd via Text

11/20/10: Soc. Sec. fixed mistake/Processed SSN

11/23/10: Rec'd SSN

11/23/10: Touch

12/09/10: RFE - Supposedly didn't sign I-864 when I KNOW I did. (Copies to prove it.)

12/20/10: Biometrics Appt

12/20/10: RFE Response Rec'd/Processing Resumed

12/27/10: Transferred to CSC

12/29/10: Contacted Senator re: EAD Expedite Request

12/30/10: AOS Touch

12/30/10: EAD & AP Approved (Card Production Ordered)

01/05/11: AOS Touch (Rec'd @ CSC)

01/06/11: AOS Touch/EAD Mailed

01/08/11: EAD & AP Rec'd

01/10/11: AOS Touch

01/14/11: EAD Touch

01/26/11: AOS APPROVED!!

02/02/11: Green Card Received

Justine, were you saying you were traveling from Manchester to Inverness?

You wouldn't have to go through immigration to get from England to Scotland and back. Only when you first entered the UK. They're considered one entity to immigration. While I was visiting we flew from Bristol to Edinburgh to visit Peter's brother and his family. No immigration stamps their either. Your entry stamp when you entered the UK was good for the time allotted and you didn't need another stamp for Scotland (or Wales, or Northern Ireland).

Hope that helps!

Justine's point was she arrived from the US at Manchester where she should have gone through UK immigration. But instead, she was shuttled along with a group of passengers making a connection to Scotland.. So her trip USA to UK, never had immigration stamps or record of her entering the country.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

For some reason, I was never put through the immigration border patrol. I just followed everyone else and got my connecting flight and there was no one to talk to about it.

Sounds like there was an error. You should have been stamped at Manchester before continuing on to your connecting flight to Inverness. However, if you've been back to the UK since with no issues, this is nothing but a curio and a tale to tell. If you've not been back yet, it might be good to follow up with the IND (or whatever they're called these days).

Edit: and Nich beats me to the punch! :lol:

Edited by elmcitymaven

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

it should be similar to the US - you go through passport control at your POE and then on to your domestic transer. I have never heard of such a thing happening in the UK. However, if you arrive in Dublin and go through Irish border control and have a connecting flight to the UK you will not go through UK border control.

90day.jpg

When I was re-routed through Manchester once, I was given the third degree. Though I was also refused entry at Heathrow once as well (long story, not my fault, it was an #######-for-tat disagreement between the US and UK, and I'm serious about this) and so I will have to apply for visas to enter the UK for the rest of my life, probably.

But, I digress. I can see how it was possible to miss going though immigration at Manchester when transferring flights. Yes, I got the third degree, but it was just one guy sitting at a little desk, not the proper big immigration hall. If, for some reason, that guy had taken a 5 minute break, I wouldn't have realized that was the immigration point.

K-1

I-129F NOA1 : June 1, 2010

I-129F NOA2 : June 28, 2010

Interview Date : Sept 28, 2010

Wedding: Apr 16, 2011

AOS

Approved : July 25, 2011

it should be similar to the US - you go through passport control at your POE and then on to your domestic transer. I have never heard of such a thing happening in the UK. However, if you arrive in Dublin and go through Irish border control and have a connecting flight to the UK you will not go through UK border control.

I recently read an article (can't find it now...) about people coming into the UK illegally by buying a ticket for a flight from Northern Ireland on someone like Ryanair and printing off the boarding pass so that when they arrived at the airport (on a flight from some other country) they waited until the Ryanair flight was there and just followed those people through the non-passport controlled 'Channel Islands/N. Ireland' entry and never went through regular immigration. I can imagine they will probably change that process soon in some way to prevent this sort of thing. But if people aren't paying attention, I could see somebody getting through that line accidentally.

USCIS

02-25-11 Sent I-130

03-01-11 NOA1 Priority Date

03-04-11 NOA1 Email/text

03-07-11 Check cashed

03-09-11 NOA1 hard copy

06-16-11 NOA2 Email/text (107 Days! Yaay!)

06-21-11 NOA2 hard copy

Detour

06-21-11 Informed USCIS of their error: they wrongly thought we were adjusting status so they held the petition and didn't forward it to NVC

06-30-11 Expedited service request granted to forward petition to NVC

08-02-11 Congressional Inquiry to get USCIS to finally forward petition to NVC

08-05-11 USCIS admits our file was routed to National Records Center and will expedite its return and forward to NVC

08-23-11 Congressman's office informs me that file is FINALLY on its way to NVC! Woohoo!!

NVC

08-22-11 Received by NVC

09-19-11 Case # Assigned. Emailed DS-3032.

09-22-11 AOS Bill Invoiced/Paid. DS-3032 Received. Emailed DS-3032 again.

09-26-11 AOS Invoice marked Paid. I-864 Mailed. DS-3032 Accepted.

09-27-11 IV Bill Invoiced/Paid.

09-28-11 IV Invoice marked Paid. DS-230 Mailed. I-864 Delivered.

09-30-11 DS-230 Delivered. NVC operator says I-864 approved!

10-06-11 Medical

Justine's point was she arrived from the US at Manchester where she should have gone through UK immigration. But instead, she was shuttled along with a group of passengers making a connection to Scotland.. So her trip USA to UK, never had immigration stamps or record of her entering the country.

Yeah. Oh man. Hearing about how bad US immigration can be with this kind of stuff (knowing people's plane tickets and the like despite no I-94s), I'm wondering how stringent the UK people are. Guess I technically entered without inspection? Hubby thinks I'm being silly. UGH.

Maybe my IRIS will still work at Heathrow when we go in December...

In any case I've never spent more than a week at a time when going to the UK and my flight records would clearly indicate this. And I am always going to be traveling with hubby if we go to the UK from now on (although he'll have to be in a separate line, of course) and am guessing it will be easier to get through if he's just right there.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

In any case I've never spent more than a week at a time when going to the UK and my flight records would clearly indicate this. And I am always going to be traveling with hubby if we go to the UK from now on (although he'll have to be in a separate line, of course) and am guessing it will be easier to get through if he's just right there.

This reminded me of when we went back to the UK the first time together in May. He was through his line way faster than me. I don't even remember what I was asked. They've never asked me much in 10 trips so I've kinda quit paying attention to it. Anyway I think I mentioned I was married to a British citizen so he said "Where is you husband?" I pointed over his shoulder and said, "he's behind you waiting for me to get through this line." I believe he also asked if my husband lived in the US now. In all those trips through Gatwick and Heathrow, I've never mentioned a relationship. My answer was always "I'm here on holiday" and "I have some friends here." And I was never given any further questions. I think two week trips probably aren't as suspicious to them either.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.