Kourt

Field Investigation anyone???

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

So I just had two people from the US embassy in Seoul stop by the apartment for yet another interview. (we've been in AP for a few weeks now) So glad I was on vacation, but my husband was at work (granted he has been home for the past week and a half for vacation...they would pick the day that he has to work to come by). They asked the general questions, and the woman goes into a spill about people getting married to US citizens and then getting a green card and leaving them. I informed her that I am well aware of that happening but I can honestly say that isn't the case in our marriage. So they are worried because my husband is from Iran and he know lives in Korea, and that I work in a different city..I told her that I didn't want to give up a job of teaching with a Korean government agency and having 58 students to teaching at a private school in his area with no job security, plus there is a greater chance of me not getting a job within Seoul, and without a job I would have to leave Korea. I'm a little worried now but I believe it will all work out in the end....I'm hoping.

At the end she did mention that if I visit Iran or go to live in Iran that it is very different. To me that seemed like she believed me. :)

So has anyone else had a field investigation???

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

There have been a few, thank God we didn't have one since he hadn't told his family until he had the visa. His mom wanted him to marry a nice Muslim girl of about 18 of which I am not. I wouldn't worry too much about it, seems to be a pretty routine thing and you gotta think, an Iranian living in Korea with an American wife is not something you see everyday, they get curious just like we do.

Timeline

You made a good point, for my husband and I we seem like any normal couple. But it's because we don't think of ourselves as a Iranian and American couple in Korea...the stares from Koreans should have gave us a hint :blush: I'm not sure how routine it is in Korea because I called the embassy to let them know if they wanted to speak to my husband to call him so he would stay home and the woman I spoke to was surprised someone visited me from the embassy. I'm just hoping we hear something soon because I'm leaving Korea in October and I need to decide if I should extend my visa in Korea or start applying for an Iranian visa...or start looking at plane tickets home. I'm not going to complain too much, we are pretty far ahead to have just started the process in April.

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The consulate callued each of us 3 weeks ago. They also called my ex and Thuys mother all at the same time. They called her boss later that same day. After months of waiting for some news, I get a surprise interview phone call at 11PM. Her boss knows about our relationship so it was no problem at work. My ex and I split on good terms, but after they called her at 11PM asking her questions about my new relationship and our divorce, its never going to be civil again. The people that called were far from polite so one can only wonder what they say to others when they call asking about us.

Its been 3 weeks since the calls and no word... A week ago there was an update in the DoS system but none of the CSR's know what was updated. We have not heard of anyone showing up to check on us in person yet, but that wouldnt be much of a surprise.

Edit: Just after I posted this I got a call from Thuy saying that two guys showed up at her house yesterday night when she wasnt there asking her neighbors and apartment manager about her and they had them all sign affidavits about her.

Edited by ScottThuy

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

The people that came to my apartment flat out said "men from the middle east marry western women to get a green card"...and I was like because we're obviously not marriage material. They have been pretty civil, but it's a surprise to everyone I know. It's like they are trying hard to find something. I just want the whole process to be over soon, it's been very stressful. I understand the need for a background check but it seems like they always target certain people. If I had married a Korean guy we would have had our visa months ago. But I have no regrets, it just makes us stronger, and gives him a little taste of how the US government works.

I'm hoping you guys get some good news soon. :D

event.png

Timeline

Its not like they are trying hard to find something.. they ARE trying hard to find something... :whistle:

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

wow these are some crazy stories. The closest thing that happened to us was that the embassy called my fiance's parents at home. Asked questions about his previous/current address, our relationship (me and him), my trips to Russia, and his ex-wife. That was on May 14 (95th day of administrative review). So, we were expecting that they will call other people or something, but they didn't - not my parents, not my ex, not our employers. And now it's 3 months later and we still don't have a decision. What do you think it means?? is that good or bad?? I would think that once they actually start the investigation part, it should finish pretty quickly :-(

2009/06/19 - 1st NOA 1 (I-129F)

2009/10/07 - NOA 2

2010/01/11 - interview; result - approved

2010/01/18 - received passport with visa in the mail

2010/02/05 - embassy calls and asked to return visa for a "correction"

2010/02/09 - fiance returns passport with visa to embassy

2010/03/09 - embassy tells us we are in "administrative review"

2010/09/07 - fiance receives passport back with canceled visa and letter; our petition has been returned to USCIS

2010/11/08 - 2nd NOA 1 (I-129F ROUND 2)

2011/04/19 - service request response - 6 months additional extensive background checks

2011/08/22 - 2nd NOA 2

2011/10/04 - interview

2011/10/20 - visa received

2011/11/04 - POE

2011/11/25 - legal marriage

2012/07/21 - wedding with family and friends!!

Timeline

You would think the field investigation would be the last part. I called and asked if they needed numbers for my parents in the US, his parents in Iran, and his brother who lives in Korea and they told me "if we need the numbers will call you". I was thinking we'd get a call or email soon after they came by our house, so now I'm constantly checking my email and phone for missed calls. But I get the feeling it may be a while. :crying:

ScottThuy...you are right, they ARE trying to find something and they are working hard at it, I wouldn't be surprised if they start digging in our trash. <_<

event.png

Timeline

After they called I e-mailed them and offered to give any extra documents or info they might need. They didn't respond at all, not even the usual copy-paste (.... administrative review... cannot be waived or expedited..etc...etc.).

I think you are right once they decide they don't like us they just try to find something, ANYTHING. And they just keep looking and looking...Well, let them look at some point they will have to accept that our relationships are real. Just hope they accept it sooner rather than later :-)

Let us know if you catch them in your trash Kourt lol :-) maybe put in a couple extra old fish for them :-) special treat!

2009/10/07 - NOA 2

2010/09/07 - fiance receives passport back with canceled visa and letter; our petition has been returned to USCIS

2011/04/19 - service request response - 6 months additional extensive background checks

2011/08/22 - 2nd NOA 2

2011/10/04 - interview

2011/11/04 - POE

Timeline

You would think the field investigation would be the last part. I called and asked if they needed numbers for my parents in the US, his parents in Iran, and his brother who lives in Korea and they told me "if we need the numbers will call you". I was thinking we'd get a call or email soon after they came by our house, so now I'm constantly checking my email and phone for missed calls. But I get the feeling it may be a while. :crying:

ScottThuy...you are right, they ARE trying to find something and they are working hard at it, I wouldn't be surprised if they start digging in our trash. dry.gif

FYI, they dont need to call you to get the numbers.. they have them and have ways to get any numbers they need... I gave them only mine and Thuys.. they came up with her mothers and my ex's and her boss's... I have talked to others that were blown away when they called numbers that were never provided...

ELYA, Have you had your congressional rep inquire about the status?

Timeline

ELYA, Have you had your congressional rep inquire about the status?

yup...started about 6-8 weeks in. 1st inquiry they didn't give any reason, but said "about 2 more weeks"... 2nd inquiry (3 weeks later) they said "oh it's normal we just have to start the whole process over again, just a few more weeks"... 3rd inquiry... NO RESPONSE AT ALL. Ticked off the congressman's aide, they tried DOS, DOS didn't give them anything either and then I kind of gave up following up with the congressman. I figure when we're at 9 months I'll get them to send another inquiry.

About the phone numbers, you are right, they can find info about anything they want. But if only they told us what they want we could help them find it faster lol!

2009/10/07 - NOA 2

2011/08/22 - 2nd NOA 2

2011/10/04 - interview

2011/11/04 - POE

Timeline

yup...started about 6-8 weeks in. 1st inquiry they didn't give any reason, but said "about 2 more weeks"... 2nd inquiry (3 weeks later) they said "oh it's normal we just have to start the whole process over again, just a few more weeks"... 3rd inquiry... NO RESPONSE AT ALL. Ticked off the congressman's aide, they tried DOS, DOS didn't give them anything either and then I kind of gave up following up with the congressman. I figure when we're at 9 months I'll get them to send another inquiry.

About the phone numbers, you are right, they can find info about anything they want. But if only they told us what they want we could help them find it faster lol!

The end of sept is the end of the fiscal year.. they like to clear things out around that time of year. first few weeks of october are usually really productive in getting results.

Timeline

I'm debating contacting my congressman, but I know I need to wait a bit longer. My main reason for the rush is because I leave Korea on October 12 and I need to know what they will decide. If they deny him (which I'm hoping doesn't happen) I want to get a visa and go to Iran instead....and i need to tell me school if I need to extend my visa because they are required to pay for my ticket home.

::sn...I wonder if they check Facebook pages, I know employers in the US will sometimes do it, since they've came by my apartment and workplace it would only seem right that they facebook stalk us also :P

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.