4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I need some clarity and hope that someone can help me. I was reading the Affidavit of Support instructions and it says that if you filed your taxes late you must send a transcript. We sent our taxes out 2 weeks ago and we want to send the Affidavit of Support in. We have already received a RFE for it. The IRS said it could take up to 8 weeks for it to show up in the system. Do we have to wait for this or can we just send the copy of the return we have and that will be sufficient? We meet the poverty guideline so everything else is OK. I've just read so many cases where people got RFEs, sent the information in, it was wrong, and they got denied that I'm scared. Any advice?

Sara

AOS Timeline

06-28-2010 AOS Packet Sent

07-07-2010 Check Cashed $1010 Ugh!

07-09-2010 NOAs received (I-485,I-130,I-765)

07-14-2010 Biometrics appointment letter received

07-14-2010 RFE (I-864)

07-22-2010 Biometrics appointment

08-20-2010 Submitted RFE Reply I-864

08-24-2010 RFE material received

08-26-2010 Email from USCIS EAD Card Approved

09-03-2010 EAD card received!!!

09-08-2010 Notification of interview date (Oct 12th, 2010)

10-12-2010 Interview-Approved!!!!!

10-26-2010 Green Card Arrived!!!!!!!!

No USCIS till 2012. Wohoooooo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The instructions are pretty clear. If you were required to file a return in any of the most recent three years, but did not file, then you must file the late returns, and submit IRS transcripts as proof that you filed. In this situation they are specific that transcripts are required, and not a photocopy of the return. They are also clear that this is supposed to be done before you submit the I-864.

The good news is that it often does not take eight weeks for your return to get entered into the IRS computer system. I filed my 2009 return a few weeks before the filing deadline. I asked for transcripts just after the deadline, and got them before I got my refund check. I didn't eFile - I filed a paper return. IRS should be less busy this late in the year, so there's a good chance your transcript will be available within a few weeks of filing. Call the IRS help line once or twice a week, get a human being on the phone, and ask them to check the status of your return. If it's been processed, then you can order the transcripts on the spot.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The instructions are pretty clear. If you were required to file a return in any of the most recent three years, but did not file, then you must file the late returns, and submit IRS transcripts as proof that you filed. In this situation they are specific that transcripts are required, and not a photocopy of the return. They are also clear that this is supposed to be done before you submit the I-864.

The good news is that it often does not take eight weeks for your return to get entered into the IRS computer system. I filed my 2009 return a few weeks before the filing deadline. I asked for transcripts just after the deadline, and got them before I got my refund check. I didn't eFile - I filed a paper return. IRS should be less busy this late in the year, so there's a good chance your transcript will be available within a few weeks of filing. Call the IRS help line once or twice a week, get a human being on the phone, and ask them to check the status of your return. If it's been processed, then you can order the transcripts on the spot.

Thanks so much for the reply. Could you please tell me exactly how many weeks it took to get your tax transcript? It has been 2 weeks since we filed, I called yesterday and the lady said a minimum of 4 weeks from now it will be done and that it just went to the processing center today. That made me so sad cuz I'm trying to get this done asap. My grandma is sick in Canada and I want to go visit so desperately. She said that I shouldn't bother to call until 4 more weeks have gone by. Is that true? Or, should I just keep calling every week to see if it has been completed? Any advice would be appreciated.

AOS Timeline

06-28-2010 AOS Packet Sent

07-07-2010 Check Cashed $1010 Ugh!

07-09-2010 NOAs received (I-485,I-130,I-765)

07-14-2010 Biometrics appointment letter received

07-14-2010 RFE (I-864)

07-22-2010 Biometrics appointment

08-20-2010 Submitted RFE Reply I-864

08-24-2010 RFE material received

08-26-2010 Email from USCIS EAD Card Approved

09-03-2010 EAD card received!!!

09-08-2010 Notification of interview date (Oct 12th, 2010)

10-12-2010 Interview-Approved!!!!!

10-26-2010 Green Card Arrived!!!!!!!!

No USCIS till 2012. Wohoooooo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks so much for the reply. Could you please tell me exactly how many weeks it took to get your tax transcript? It has been 2 weeks since we filed, I called yesterday and the lady said a minimum of 4 weeks from now it will be done and that it just went to the processing center today. That made me so sad cuz I'm trying to get this done asap. My grandma is sick in Canada and I want to go visit so desperately. She said that I shouldn't bother to call until 4 more weeks have gone by. Is that true? Or, should I just keep calling every week to see if it has been completed? Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm not sure exactly what day I sent my return. I just remember it was the end of March, so it would have been about 3 weeks before the deadline. I also remember I used the automated system to order the transcripts about 1 week after the deadline. I wasn't sure if I'd get the 2009 transcripts after only about 4 weeks since filing, but about a week later I got all three transcripts I'd requested. So, from the time I filed until I had the transcripts in my hand was about 5 weeks.

Also, remember that mine was a paper return and was filed at the busiest time of year for the IRS, both of which should have increased the potential delay time.

Ignore what that lady told you. Keep calling every week.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.