Tjl3909

Another pre interview question (financial affidavit)

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Does anyone know if the embassy checks to match the dependent children you put on the I-134 Affidavit of Support to your tax return?

I ask this question because I have 4 kids. The oldest is always my dependent on the taxes, however I trade the other 3 each year with my ex.

One year she gets 2 and I get one, the next year its reversed. On my 2009 tax return I list 2 children as dependents, so should I list only those two, or all four regardless.

My salary is not a problem if I have to list all four, but we are afraid if it does not match the tax return it may be questioned.

Sorry for the multiple posts, but the interview is next week and we are officially in panic mode.. :bonk:

Thank You

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Does anyone know if the embassy checks to match the dependent children you put on the I-134 Affidavit of Support to your tax return?

I ask this question because I have 4 kids. The oldest is always my dependent on the taxes, however I trade the other 3 each year with my ex.

One year she gets 2 and I get one, the next year its reversed. On my 2009 tax return I list 2 children as dependents, so should I list only those two, or all four regardless.

My salary is not a problem if I have to list all four, but we are afraid if it does not match the tax return it may be questioned.

Sorry for the multiple posts, but the interview is next week and we are officially in panic mode.. :bonk:

Thank You

I would list four and then attach an explanation of what you just said and why you list only two on your taxes. You may or may not be able to list two, but I don't think there is much risk if you list four and since you have the income to do it, I would. Considering you are in a situation where having dependents is a burden, you are unlikely to draw flak for listing extras.

Additionally, if you have a copy of your 2008 tax return you may attach it, too, since it will corroborate your explanation.

If income is not a concern, then definitely list 4 children. A letter of explanation will assist them in the review. You are now dealing with State Department personnel and they understand about the American custody system. Have confidence in your situation and it will all work out.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thank You

ALL are your dependents at ALL times. Dependents are ANY minor children regardless of whom they live with and who claims them on taxes. Read the guidelines for the I-864 which is very specific about this. This guide is used for the I-134 by the consulates for determining family size. It does not matter if you pay child support. Child support is not claimed as an expense (it CAN be claimed as income, if documented)

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

ALL are your dependents at ALL times. Dependents are ANY minor children regardless of whom they live with and who claims them on taxes. Read the guidelines for the I-864 which is very specific about this. This guide is used for the I-134 by the consulates for determining family size. It does not matter if you pay child support. Child support is not claimed as an expense (it CAN be claimed as income, if documented)

List all four and attach a letter to explain if you feel better. I sincerely doubt they will question the situation. They know the rules and I do not think they will feel anyone lies about something that makes things more "difficult".

For instance, if you had a an ex-wife that was still covered by an I-864, whether you paid her alimony or not, you would have to list her also, but she would not be on your taxes. Taxes are in now way the "be all and end all".

Worse (and more likely) would be if they ask your fiancee "how many children does he have? and she says "4" and you only list two. This could be considered a "material misrepresentation" Very bad.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.