PurpleSky

Nigerian Bride Price

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

I was reading one of the topics here where someone's K1 visa was denied due to the USC giving money to his fiance's parents. The CO considered that to be bride price so advised the USC to file the spousal visa instead. IMO their spousal visa would be denied too for lack of documentation or a marriage certificate.

I got to thinking about a friend of mine just about in a similar position and wondered if this would work for her and her fiance. Your thoughts are welcome:

My friend's family has allowed her fiance (USC) to submit a bride price for her when he (USC) is ready so they won't have to get married in Nigeria (they want to avoid being separated during the spousal filing process). Once the USC pays the bride price to my friend's family they are married according to her custom. Would it be possible for the USC to have papers drawn up saying something to the effect that he knows that once he pays the bride price he is effectively married to my friend? This document would be signed by him and his pastor. On the other side, my friend and her family sign papers saying they acknowledge the bride price and recognize they are now married. The idea would be to now have documented proof of marriage allowing my friend and her now fiance turned husband to file for the spousal visa.

Could this work?

tumblr_l2zffoq44C1qc5x0yo1_400.jpg

My honey is NIGERIAN and I'm AMERICAN

K1 Journey

07/27/10 Mailed Petition

07/28/10 Petition received at VSC then forwarded to Lewisville, TX (received there 7/29/10)

08/02/10 NOA1 Notice date

08/06/10 Touched

08/07/10 Received NOA1 in mail

08/10/10 Touched

10/03/10 Touched

01/31/11 I-129F Petition APPROVED!!!

02/03/11 Received hard copy of NOA2 (although the envelope is stamped Feb 2...so only one day to get to me :) )

02/07/11 Arrived at NVC

02/07/11 MADE APPOINTMENTS FOR MEDICAL AND INTERVIEW. (Will post actual dates after they occur :) )

02/08/11 Left NVC

02/17/11 Medical

03/01/11 Interview (FH is in AP)

04/12/11 AP COMPLETED!!

04/13/11 FH notified to come to the embassy with his passport!

04/26/11 FH received Visa

04/29/11 FH Arrived in the US!!! JFK POE

06/08/11 MARRIED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Not unless the marriage is consummated That is why proxy marriages don't work, they must be consummated to be valid. With Nigeria you also run into the issue that per the Nigerian marriage act , bride price marriages are NOT recognized and that would most certainly lead to a denial

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You are taking a risk with the Bride Price theory. Yes you have to have it consummated, but still them Embassy might chose not to acknowledge it.

For example my ex claimed he was married on a student visa. When he was interview he told them it was never documented and only Married through cultural tradition. Now he passed after AP and another person in a similar situation was denied.

I think they use their own decision on whether they will accept or not.

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Timeline

Thank you ladies!!!

I'm left to wonder why the infamous Asian woman in the Lagos consulate told the USC (in the topic I was referencing originally) to file for a CR1. SMH! I am sooooo happy my honey (even though Nigerian) won't be processing there since he lives in Gambia now. I've been begging my friend to process from London (where she lives now) rather than return home to Lagos.

K1 Journey

07/27/10 Mailed Petition

07/28/10 Petition received at VSC then forwarded to Lewisville, TX (received there 7/29/10)

08/06/10 Touched

08/10/10 Touched

10/03/10 Touched

02/03/11 Received hard copy of NOA2 (although the envelope is stamped Feb 2...so only one day to get to me :) )

02/07/11 Arrived at NVC

02/07/11 MADE APPOINTMENTS FOR MEDICAL AND INTERVIEW. (Will post actual dates after they occur :) )

02/08/11 Left NVC

02/17/11 Medical

04/12/11 AP COMPLETED!!

06/08/11 MARRIED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

BUT..... Its depend on the CO interviewing your husband. I believe their was a story here on VJ where there was a Nigerian man (I believe he was living in Ghana at the time), well anyways he went for an interview there, and they turned him away saying that they will transfer his file and be interviewed in Nigeria. Well long story short, that mans visa was denied. (I forgot the specifics of the story but it is here in the Africa:Sub-Saharan section). Wherever your man is being interviewed, kill the CO with a lot of evidence so they wont have a reason to deny you. All the Best.

Nwanyioma

AOS Timeline
7-23-2010 AOS package mailed priority via USPS to Chicago Lockbox (expected delivery date 7-26-2010)
7-27-2010 AOS package delivered
8-3-2010 NOA 1 AOS/EAD/AP (received hard copy NOA 1's in mailbox 8-7-2010)
8-6-2010 AOS/EAD/AP Touched
8-9-2010 AOS/EAD/AP Touched
9-15-2010 Biometrics walk-in at Alexandria,VA ASC(original appointment date 10-5-2010)
9-15-2010 AOS/EAD Touched
9-16-2010 AOS/EAD Touched
9-22-2010 EAD/AP Touched
9-22-2010 EAD card production ordered. Approved!!!!!
9-23-2010 EAD/AP Touched
9-30-2010 EAD received in mail
10-4-2010 Received interview letter in the mail
11-9-2010 AOS interview 11:00am in Baltimore, Maryland
11-9-2010 Greencard approved!!

Timeline

BUT..... Its depend on the CO interviewing your husband. I believe their was a story here on VJ where there was a Nigerian man (I believe he was living in Ghana at the time), well anyways he went for an interview there, and they turned him away saying that they will transfer his file and be interviewed in Nigeria. Well long story short, that mans visa was denied. (I forgot the specifics of the story but it is here in the Africa:Sub-Saharan section). Wherever your man is being interviewed, kill the CO with a lot of evidence so they wont have a reason to deny you. All the Best.

Nwanyioma

ARRRGGGHHH!!!! LOL thank you for the info! I'll search for the topic you're speaking of. Prayerfully since he's been living there for almost 5 years it will be ok. :D

K1 Journey

07/27/10 Mailed Petition

08/06/10 Touched

08/10/10 Touched

10/03/10 Touched

02/07/11 Arrived at NVC

02/08/11 Left NVC

02/17/11 Medical

04/12/11 AP COMPLETED!!

06/08/11 MARRIED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.