charlie & yeng

I-131 timeframe for biometrics

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

Has anyone recently applied for a re-entry permit and gotten the appointment for the biometrics within 3 weeks? this'll be my 2nd re-entry permit I'm applying for (sequential).

Thanks!

K1 Visa : Singapore (yeng) /Oregon (charlie)

Nov 12, '03: NOA 1 online

Mar 29, '04: RFE mailed out (139 days)

Apr 01, '04: RFE received in the mail (sent in wrong birth cert!)

Apr 09, '04: Mailed back RFE (Go USPS!!!)

Apr 15, '04: RFE received by USCIS (online)

Apr 28, '04: NOA2!!!! (Charlie received hard copy, online status still not changed) (168 days)

May 10, '04: Letter received from NVC

May 21, '04: Packet received in Singapore from SG Embassy. (191 from NOA1. online status still at reciept of RFE!)

Jun 18, '04: mailed off DS-230 (singapore procedure)

Jun 23, '04: received interview date letter from embassy

Jul 09, '04: Interview - SUCCESS!!

Jul 14, '04: Pick up passport with K1 Visa

Aug 12, '04: Arrive at LAX and clear immigration with ease.

Sep 04, '04: WEDDING!!!!

AOS (Portland, OR)

Oct 28, '04: mailed off AOS, EAD & AP to Portland by Priority Mail

Nov 20, '04: received AP and EAD appt letter for Dec 9.

Dec 09, '04: received EAD at appt (but the fingerprinting done was NOT the biometrics!)

Jan 11, '05: initial AOS interview date but we need to reschedule.

Dec 20, '04: (circa) received letter requesting the $70 for fingerprinting to be done)

Jan 6. '05: received appointment date for fingerprinting on Jan 25. (found out only on the 25th that they WERE going to interview us on the 26th but they didn't send letter out because the officer was going to be away)

Mar 16, '05: AOS interview - FINALLY!

Apr 27, '05: Received temp card (I-551)

May still receiving welcome NOAs (5 so far)

"...testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing" ... the Apostle, James

Filed: Other Timeline

On April 27, 2005, you received your 2-year Green Card. That's more than half a decade ago. Now you are applying for the second consecutive Reentry permit (each valid up to 2 years) and you ask about a biometrics appointment. Let me ask you this: if a green dog and a blue rabbit get into a fight, do you think it will rain heavier in South Carolina or in Alaska on Februar 16, 2011?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

On April 27, 2005, you received your 2-year Green Card. That's more than half a decade ago. Now you are applying for the second consecutive Reentry permit (each valid up to 2 years) and you ask about a biometrics appointment. Let me ask you this: if a green dog and a blue rabbit get into a fight, do you think it will rain heavier in South Carolina or in Alaska on Februar 16, 2011?

Thanks for your helpful response. :-) I'm guessing you're saying there's no way to know?

I only got my 1st re-entry permit expires on Nov 6. We came back because my mom wasn't well and we'd like to hang around more since things with family still aren't that great yet - hence the desire to get another permit unti we know better what's going on. We have work commitments now though so staying for an unknown period of time isn't going to work. I think as long as I am there to get my biometrics done, I can leave after that and have my in-laws mail me my permit after it's approved. In some earlier threads, people were mentioning that they've walked-in to get their biometrics done. I'm also guessing that that's after they know they're application's been received and they got their NOA?

Anymore insights would be helpful. From past experience, calling USCIS would probably get me some standard "it all depends" answer from the officer. :-(

Apr 28, '04: NOA2!!!! (Charlie received hard copy, online status still not changed) (168 days)

May 21, '04: Packet received in Singapore from SG Embassy. (191 from NOA1. online status still at reciept of RFE!)

AOS (Portland, OR)

Dec 09, '04: received EAD at appt (but the fingerprinting done was NOT the biometrics!)

Dec 20, '04: (circa) received letter requesting the $70 for fingerprinting to be done)

Jan 6. '05: received appointment date for fingerprinting on Jan 25. (found out only on the 25th that they WERE going to interview us on the 26th but they didn't send letter out because the officer was going to be away)

"...testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing" ... the Apostle, James

Timeline

I did. I've had it for 5 yrs already but I needed to come back and we're still not sure how long we're staying and not sure if we can do an annual visit back.

AOS (Portland, OR)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

I guess like Bob said, there's really no way to tell. Are you able to postpone your trip UNTIL you get your biometrics done?

Still, I think you should just get whatever it is done and settled, considering how even with an AP you're not guaranteed re-entry. Having a green card means you should be permanently residing in the USA (hence, Permanent Residence status), not the other way around. But of course, nothing is as simple as it seems.

Hope you get it figured out!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.