3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hey Guys,

Received notification that interviews have been scheduled for adjustment of status form I485 for my spouse and her two adult children ages 19 & 20. Three seperate interviews have been scheduled with the children going first and my spouse last.

My question is if there is any significance from the order of the interviews and what type of questions can I expect for the interviews with the children?

I am aware for the need to have joint statements with my spouse and have filed joint tax returns, have the lease in both of our names with the children listed as occupants, have medical insurance and utilities in both names. I do not have, however, a joint bank account. The thing is my spouse and I have very different attitudes about spending money. I watch every penny I spend, while my wife can not spend fast enough. Will seperate bank accounts, by itself, throw up red flags to immigration.

Thank you for any and all replies. :whistle:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

A bonafide marriage is so much more than just money. Especially in these times were attitudes have changed, and people have their own jobs. Some people just don't co mingle resources for whatever reason, and it has nothing to do with love. I would make sure the rest of your bonafide marriage package is extra solid

Edited by Robert B

AOS (from F-1) Timeline:

06/30/2010 - (XX) - Sent AOS package (130, 485, and 765) to Chicago lockbox per USPS express.

07/02/2010 - (00) - Received in Chicago, signed by L. Box (Clever Mr. Postman!)

07/09/2010 - (07) - All checks cashed by Uncle Sam

07/09/2010 - (07) - 3 NOAs sent out

07/12/2010 - (10) - 3 Hard copies for NOAs received by snail mail

07/12/2010 - (10) - Touched all three applications

07/14/2010 - (12) - Touched all three applications

07/22/2010 - (20) - Biometrics appointment dated

07/26/2010 - (24) - Biometrics appointment received for 08/19/2010

07/28/2010 - (26) - Successful biometrics appointment walk-in done in Phoenix, AZ (22 days prior to appointment date)

08/02/2010 - (31) - EAD Approved!!!

08/04/2010 - (33) - EAD Card production ordered

08/05/2010 - (34) - EAD Touched

08/09/2010 - (38) - EAD Approval notice sent

08/10/2010 - (39) - EAD Touched

08/11/2010 - (40) - EAD Received!!!!

09/23/2010 - (83) - Interview!!! APPROVED!!!

09/23/2010 - (83) - I-130 and I-485 Touched

09/24/2010 - (84) - I-130 and I-485 Touched

09/27/2010 - (87) - Approval notice received in snail mail (stamped 9/24/10)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

During the interview you can certainly explain why you have separate accounts - the reason is a valid one and if you wife basically says ' yes, that's true' it indicates that this is one way you have worked out one of the compromises of your marriage. Not having joint accounts when you do have other evidence of shared liabilities, etc. and having a reasonable explanation should not work against you.

I suspect they will ask the kids questions that will help them determine the nature of your relationship, how well you get along as a family (and remember, all families have little problems so you don't have to be perfect - in fact, being 'perfect' may be a red flag in and of itself), and try to get an idea of what your lives together are like - if the kids are assimilating, if they view you as their step-dad, things like that. It is probably usual to interview children first as that might offer different questions for the interviewer to ask when they meet with you, or so reassure the IO that your interview would be easy.

Good luck :).

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.