6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all,

Just wondering a few things here. My husband received his letter welcoming him to the US and said his green card will arrive in 3 weeks. My questions is...

What will he need after he receives his actual Green Card?

What does he need to have when we want to cross the border into Canada?

What do we need to bring into the SS office to lift the restriction on his SS card?

Does he need to carry his work permit with him anymore?

Do we need to have his travel document with us to cross any border?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

LIVE, LOVE, IMMIGRATE!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello all,

Just wondering a few things here. My husband received his letter welcoming him to the US and said his green card will arrive in 3 weeks. My questions is...

What will he need after he receives his actual Green Card?

What does he need to have when we want to cross the border into Canada?

What do we need to bring into the SS office to lift the restriction on his SS card?

Does he need to carry his work permit with him anymore?

Do we need to have his travel document with us to cross any border?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

He'll need his passport to cross a border in either direction. He'll need his green card to reenter the US.

The work permit and travel document expired when the green card was issued. The green card now serves both purposes, as well as proof of lawful presence, and general purpose identification.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Thank you so much. So, if we want to go to Canada, we have to wait until he get the actual card in the mail.....or can we use the travel document until it arrives?

LIVE, LOVE, IMMIGRATE!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Thank you so much. So, if we want to go to Canada, we have to wait until he get the actual card in the mail.....or can we use the travel document until it arrives?

I think you can't use travel document anymore, as the previous poster said they are void from the moment the approved your petition. It's weird that they didn't took them back at the interview though....

I had interview yesterday and the IO told us not to travel at all while waiting for green card and that if we want to travel we should schedule an info pass to get the passport stamped with temp GC.

Hoping it helps.

[center][font="Franklin Gothic Medium"][size="3"][i]<3 Nath & Dave <3[/i][/size][/font][/center][center][font="Franklin Gothic Medium"][i][size="2"]02/21/2010[/size][/i][/font][/center][left][b]AOS Timeline:[/b][/left][left]04/26/2010 - package received...again (day 1)[/left][left]07/23/2010 - Scheduled Interview appointment, 10:35 AM (day 98) [color="#FF0000"][b]Approved!!![/b][/color][/left][left]
[/left][left][b]ROC Timeline:[/b][/left][left]4/23/2012: Window opens[/left][left]5/02/2012: I-751 Sent (received on 5/03) [/left][left]5/11/2012: Check Cashed! $_$[/left][left]5/15/2012: NOA 1 in the mail (dated 5/03 as well)[/left][left]5/19/2012: Biometric Appointment letter in the mail[/left][left]6/06/2012: 10am - Biometric Appointment in Santa Ana, CA[/left][left]11/23/2012:[color="#ff0000"] [b]case approved[/b][/color], card production ordered[/left][left]11/26/2012: card mailed[/left][left]
[/left]

Timeline

Thank you for the info. We will stay put until we receive it. Shouldn't be long now. The IO never said a thing about any of that during the interview. But we will just be patient until we get the actual card. Thanks again.

LIVE, LOVE, IMMIGRATE!

My Advanced Parole document was taken from me at my interview.

As for the SS thing, take your GC to the offices when you receive it. You will still have the same SSN, nothing will change except they will issue you another card without the 'Work authorized' sentence on it.

If you find for any reason that you are waiting a long time for the GC to arrive, as Noth said you can schedule and infopass appointment to get the temporary I551 stamp which will allow you to travel and be admitted back into the US.

Jinxxabelle's Removal Of Conditions Timeline

Mailed Package To Vermont Service Center: 06/06/2012

Package Received At Vermont Service Center: 06/08/2012

Checks Cashed: 06/15/2012

NOA1 Received: 06/18/2012

Biometrics Notice Received: 07/07/2012

Biometrics Appointment: 07/24/2012

Approved: 03/11/2013

Card Production Ordered: 03/11/2013

10 Year GC Received: 03/16/2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.