Jess and Andrew

K1 and Wedding Plans

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

I'm curious as to how you all are planning to handle the actual marriage upon K1 approval and after POE.

Taking care of it at the courthouse and having a celebration later?

Waiting for packet 4 with interview date and planning a wedding from there?

I'd love to hear how you all are taking care of it!

AOS/EAD/AP

Filing Location: Chicago Lockbox

Local USCIS Office: Philadelphia, PA

AOS/EAD/AP Package Sent: 2010-12-06

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 2010-12-14

RFE(s):

AOS Case Transferred to CSC: 2010-01-14

Biometrics Letter Received: UNDELIVERABLE--hopefully will be resent soon

Biometrics Appointment:

www.justputitinwriting.blogspot.com

Hi all,

I'm curious as to how you all are planning to handle the actual marriage upon K1 approval and after POE.

I know a lot of people take care of it at the courthouse and have a celebration later but i really didnt want to do that so i had 5 weeks in america when we first sent off our I-129f and the rest i planned from England. Getting married in a church and having the reception in a hotel, have 60 guests (30 flying over from England).

Basically, i found 2 or 3 vendors that i liked, told them of my situation and just waited for a while. I was lucky cause i put down some deposits but all my vendors were willing to change the date if there were any problems with the visa and also were willing to return the deposit if i cancelled in enough time for the date to be taken by someone else. A few of my vendors were also happy to call me if someone else wanted my date, that way, if my visa had not been approved yet i could still decide if i wanted to book them and take the chance of losing the money if anything went wrong.

None of my guests booked there flights until we did get approved and i didn't booked certain vendors that i knew were not the most important (the car, DJ, Florist etc etc i booked once approved).

The other thing with Patrick and I was we received our visa beg Feb and i didn't move here til end June, plus knowing who i wanted to book i just called them straight up and put the deposit down. Too be honest, it was a gamble and i would have lost a bit of money if it didn't work out but luckily for me it did and i am going to have the wedding i always wanted. The upside of getting married abroad, only the people you truly like come, no paying for meals for family members you don't really like just cause they are family haha! :-)

All i would say is be up front with your vendors, tell them your situation and ask them how they can help you out (letting you be the first refusal for your date etc).

Good Luck!

AOS Visa Journey

28/06/2010 - POE Chicago 28th June 2010

10/09/2010 - Married in ATL, GA

05/10/2010 - Sent AOS Package to USCIS

06/10/2010 - AOS Package received at Chicago Lockbox

14/10/2010 - Email/Text sent from USCIS to say they had received our AOS and NOA1 was in the mail

18/10/2010 - NOA1 Received via Mail

22/10/2010 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

08/11/2010 - Biometrics Appointment

18/12/2010 - Letter received for interview appointment

21/12/2010 - Received EAD and AP

21/01/2011 - Interview!

AOS APPROVED!

03/25/2011 - Green Card Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We began planning in August 2008 for a wedding in September 2009. We sent out our I-129F in in October 2008, and got our NOA2 in January 2009. I had my K-1 interview and received my visa at the end of April, 2009, and I moved to the US, PoEing with my K-1 visa in early July 2009.

I was teaching at a school in Canada so we weren't in a hurry - we knew that no matter how quickly we were approved, I couldn't PoE until the after the school year ended at the end of June 2009 anyways. That's why we took our time replying to the Packet 3. See my timeline for more details.

Ironically, we were actually more concerned about the visa being approved too early than too late. :) The January approval for the I-129F was way faster than we had been led to expect. My USC now-wife was a little concerned and I had to go back through the calculations on the timeline to make sure our September wedding date would still work.

Working backwards from September 12, 2009 [the wedding date], I had to enter the US no more than 90 days before that - so I could enter the US any time after mid June. Working backwards from then, I had to get the visa no more than 6 months before mid-June 2009, so a visa issuance date of anytime after mid January 2009 and before the beginning of September 2009 would have suited us fine.

With plans that flexible, we felt reasonably confident putting money down on a September 12 date for the facility, DJ, and photographer/videographer. It was a risk, but a reasonably small one, that far ahead of time. It helped that I was coming from Canada - a low fraud country, and that Vancouver was a consulate with no significant backlog or delay, and that our case was very straightforward with no significant wrinkles or red flags. I wouldn't try this from places like Ecuador or the MENA countries - the process is far more uncertain there. If you are going through Montreal, your planning needs to take into account a likely 3-5 month delay between their reception of your Packet 3 forms, and your interview date.

The safest way to do things is to wait until the visa is in hand. Remember, you have 6 months to enter once the visa is issued, and 90 days to marry once you PoE. So, particularly if you have the non-date sensitive stuff selected prior to the visa interview, you have approximately 9 months to plan the wedding after the visa has been issued, which should be a doable timeframe. This is the safest way to go. The only complication you can run in to here is that some photographers and facilities have waiting lists more than 9 months long. You can take the risk (small in our case) and put some money down [we got a significant discount on our facility for booking a 2009 wedding in calendar 2008] or you can shop around and/or go slightly out of town to find smaller/nicer [and usually cheaper] facilities with shorter waiting lists. Our facility was an hour north of Salt Lake City, and half the price and twice as nice customer service as a similar facility closer to the city would have been.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

With plans that flexible, we felt reasonably confident putting money down on a September 12 date for the facility, DJ, and photographer/videographer. It was a risk, but a reasonably small one, that far ahead of time. It helped that I was coming from Canada - a low fraud country, and that Vancouver was a consulate with no significant backlog or delay, and that our case was very straightforward with no significant wrinkles or red flags. I wouldn't try this from places like Ecuador or the MENA countries - the process is far more uncertain there. If you are going through Montreal, your planning needs to take into account a likely 3-5 month delay between their reception of your Packet 3 forms, and your interview date.

The safest way to do things is to wait until the visa is in hand. Remember, you have 6 months to enter once the visa is issued, and 90 days to marry once you PoE. So, particularly if you have the non-date sensitive stuff selected prior to the visa interview, you have approximately 9 months to plan the wedding after the visa has been issued, which should be a doable timeframe. This is the safest way to go. The only complication you can run in to here is that some photographers and facilities have waiting lists more than 9 months long. You can take the risk (small in our case) and put some money down [we got a significant discount on our facility for booking a 2009 wedding in calendar 2008] or you can shop around and/or go slightly out of town to find smaller/nicer [and usually cheaper] facilities with shorter waiting lists. Our facility was an hour north of Salt Lake City, and half the price and twice as nice customer service as a similar facility closer to the city would have been.

I kinda agree with your ideas--we got engaged in March, sent our 129-f right away and have been waiting until we get packet 4 to set a wedding date--our NOA2 was way faster than we assumed, so we went from thinking March of next year to hoping for November of this year for the wedding. Montreal received packet 3 towards the end of June--is it unreasonable to hope for an end-of-November wedding? I have most of my vendors chosen, and all have said that they're even still available most days in November--it probably helps that we're having it all in one location, with under 50 guests. I'm trying not to get my hopes up for November, but it would be quite perfect!

AOS/EAD/AP

Filing Location: Chicago Lockbox

Local USCIS Office: Philadelphia, PA

AOS/EAD/AP Package Sent: 2010-12-06

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 2010-12-14

RFE(s):

AOS Case Transferred to CSC: 2010-01-14

Biometrics Letter Received: UNDELIVERABLE--hopefully will be resent soon

Biometrics Appointment:

www.justputitinwriting.blogspot.com

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We might be doing this a little backwards, but we're having the celebration before the visa is in hand - in large part because we didn't realize just how long the wait would be. We're having a ceremony, but it will not be a legally binding ceremony, just spiritual. The date of our wedding was pretty important to us, so we decided to go ahead and celebrate, then have a civil ceremony in the US once her visa goes through.

My only concern with this is that they're going to be suspicious that the ceremony is legal and give us problems, but given all the non-refundable deposits we've put down, we're just going to go ahead and keep our fingers crossed.

Sam

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I did the stupid thing and booked all venues and such before starting the K-1 process :-( I thought it was okay to get married under the visa waiver program...

Thankfully we got our NOA2 lighting fast so I think he'll get the visa by October or November (the wedding was planned for December) but, still, it can get worrisome.

I was stupid and planned a wedding for June of this year, taking a bad immigration attorney's advice and had my UK fiance apply for a B2 visitor's visa. He was denied, the wedding plans fell apart, and we lost all of our deposits.

Now we've got plans made, but nothing booked until the visa is in his hands. We don't foresee any problems, but I'm not taking any chances. We just can't afford it. The only person who is giving me my deposit toward the Plan B wedding is my florist, because he's great.

Since we're switching from June to December, an outdoor wedding in a vineyard won't really work, so we've chosen another location. We got nothing back from the vineyard, even though we cancelled in February. Oh well, you live and learn, and fire the attorney! :whistle:

Angela & Peter

usa.gift4527.gifuk.gif

K-1 Process (Condensed)

02/01/10: Took atty's bad advice and applied for B2 visa

02/16/10: B2 Visa Interview: DENIED - K1 Required

05/07/10: Atty sent I-129F Petition to Chicago Lockbox

05/31/10: Atty rec'd Petition back due to wrong location

06/01/10: I-129F pkg sent to VSC

06/11/10: NOA1 Rec'd/Touch

09/17/10: INTERVIEW = APPROVED

10/22/10: Marriage in the US

AOS Process

11/13/10: Mailed Packet to CHI Lockbox

11/18/10: NOA1 Rec'd via Text

11/20/10: Soc. Sec. fixed mistake/Processed SSN

11/23/10: Rec'd SSN

11/23/10: Touch

12/09/10: RFE - Supposedly didn't sign I-864 when I KNOW I did. (Copies to prove it.)

12/20/10: Biometrics Appt

12/20/10: RFE Response Rec'd/Processing Resumed

12/27/10: Transferred to CSC

12/29/10: Contacted Senator re: EAD Expedite Request

12/30/10: AOS Touch

12/30/10: EAD & AP Approved (Card Production Ordered)

01/05/11: AOS Touch (Rec'd @ CSC)

01/06/11: AOS Touch/EAD Mailed

01/08/11: EAD & AP Rec'd

01/10/11: AOS Touch

01/14/11: EAD Touch

01/26/11: AOS APPROVED!!

02/02/11: Green Card Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

In my case we did an actual small ceremony at the house just with close friends. nothing fancy, in fact i cooked my own wedding dinner and we bought a nice simple cake from the local bakery. we only had about 12 people total. The idea was to have the big ceremonial wedding a year later, but honestly lol i'm not working yet so that wont happen around here for cheap!!! lol.

i really didn't mind a small ceremony, i just wanted to be married finally to my wonderful husband who waited so long for our k1 process to finally happen!

Keep in mind, if you are not in a rush, that you do have 6 months to actually use the visa, and another 90 days to get married. would be time to make plans save money etc. if need be. i however didn't wait, lol the day i got my visa in the mail i moved, and 5 days later i was married :)

Edited by Kimbear

HWDWm6.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

We had a really small ceremony in April in my parents' living room. Then we had a backyard BBQ with family & friends in June to see everyone and celebrate. Very relaxed...PERFECT for us! We would have done it this way even if it hadn't been for the K-1.

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Although we have not filed yet, the plan is to have a very simple outdoor ceremony State side and dinner with friends. We have asked friends that I first met to be our witnesses. On our first anniversary we will come back to Canada and have a renewal of vows with my children (all adults) and family at the location where Michael and I first met. In our situation it is too complicated for my children and some of my family to come to the States. If all my children cannot be present at the first ceremony I have no intentions of having other family. I spoke with each of my children, siblings, and father and all are okay with these plans.

Love Changes Everything

N-400 Process

May 29, 2016 paperwork sent in

June 3, 2016 check cashed! Text message received.

June 2, NOA

June 22, Biometrics

March 3 In Line for Interview

ROC Process

May 8, 2014 paperwork in hands of USCIS,California Service Center!

May 14, 2014 check cashed

June 2, 2014 Biometrics waived

July 16, 2014 10 yr greencard in hand!

AOS Process
September 29, 2011 AOS in hands of USCIS
July 9, 2012 WELCOME TO AMERICA letter!
July 11, 2012 Conditional GreenCard in hand!

K-1 Process
December 18, 2010 Our K-1 package arrived at Homeland Security
August 23, 2011 Approved
September 8, 2011 POE at Grand Portage, MN Border
September 11, 2011 Married!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Most everyone that has replied so far said that they are doing (or did) a ceremony in time with the visa process... I don't want to plan things that way so we are going to go to the courthouse and get married within the 90 days but plan for a celebration the following year. (Estimated NOA2 date is the end of September, so we should be able to be at the courthouse before Christmas, but with a nice ceremony the following spring or summer.)

I don't think it matters which way you do it but for me, with the expense of the k-1 visa and the uncertainty etc I didn't want to plan a nice wedding and have something go wrong. Better to have the time and flexibility after we're together and both working.

:-)

I-129F package sent: Jul 7th 2010

Package received at CSC: Jul 9th 2010

NOA1: Jul 16th 2010

NOA2: Nov 30th 2010

Packet 4 letter received: Dec 27th 2010

Medical done: Jan 3rd 2011

Interview: Jan 24th 2011 - APPROVED!!

Passport with K-1 visa received: Jan 29th 2011

POE: Feb 2nd 2011 in Houston, TX - cleared without problems :-)

Married!: May 2nd 2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We basically just didn't worry about it but our situation was different then most. We'd both been married before and we lived together in Canada for years before applying for a K-1 visa. Neither of us wanted a big wedding but we didn't want to get married at the courthouse either. We had decided years earlier we were going to get married in Florida on a beach but also knowing the cost and time of immigration we waited to get married (and lived in sin instead) until we could both live here rather then just get married here and return back to Canada.

When I was waiting for our K-1 I felt so bad for all the first time brides trying to plan a wedding. I recall the nightmare of planning my first wedding and to add the uncertainty of immigration on top of that? Ugh... If I had to do that I would have either A. had a civil ceremony and planned the wedding reception for later or B. planned it far enough in advance that I might have had to wait a few months after getting my visa before crossing over. I wonder if the idea for that Bridzilla came from immigration brides? Seriously it has to be the toughest on those waiting for K-1's that anything I've ever seen on tv.

K-1 Journey

04/30/2009 - I-129F sent to VSC

03/30/2010 - Interview @ MTL APPROVED!

04/13/2010 - POE @ Pearson International

05/23/2010 - WEDDING

AOS Journey

07/20/2010 - AOS/AP/EAD Sent

07/21/2010 - package received at Chicago

07/28/2010 - check cashed

07/30/2010 - received NOA1 in mail

08/01/2010 - received biometrics letter

08/20/2010 - walk in biometrics completed

08/23/2010 - finally entered into USCIS online -AP's touched on Aug11 and EAD and AOS touched on Aug20 08/30/2010 - AOS/EAD touched

09/09/2010 - AP approved (email notice)

09/13/2010 - Received email that EAD was approved on Sept 10

10/04/2010 - Received interview letter in Mail

11/09/2010 - Interview-APPROVED! 112 days

11/09/2010 - Card Production 11/22/2010 - Green Card received

ROC Journey

08/11/2012 - Eligible to file for ROC10/11/2012 - sent in I-751 (late)10/16/2012 - received NOA 11/20/2012 - biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If she gets approved my idea is to do the civil marriage than a year from now, do the BIG church wedding in the Philippines :) we already have a wedding planner and she gave us a nice QUOTE.

3.gif

"The perfection/respect/credibility of a man decreases by the number of marriages he has had and by the number of kids he has outside his current marriage. ", Quote by Bite YourDust
  • Met on yahoo chat through a friend.
  • April 2010 - Decided to meet in person
  • 06.01.2010 - She flew from Dubai to Philippines for vacationing
  • 06.21.2010 - We met in Philippines
  • 06.24.2010 - Engaged
  • 06.28.2010 - Came back to USA
  • 07.05.2010 - She flew back to Dubai (work)
  • 08.02.2010 - Mailed I129F to VSC
  • 08.03.2010 - Delivered to VSC. Signed by D RENAUD.
  • 08.09.2010 - Check cashed
  • 08.14.2010 - NOA1 (Dated 08/06/2010)!!!!!!!!
  • 08.19.2010 - Touched!
  • 08.27.2010 - Received snail mail that typographical error was fixed.
  • 10.03.2010 - Touched!
  • 11.21.2010 - Visited her for a week in Dubai!
  • 02.14.2011 - NOA2 Approved on St. Valentine day!!!!!!!
  • 02.17.2011 - Packet left from NVC to ABU DHABI (Dubai)
  • 02.19.2011 - NOA2 hard copy received
  • 02.22.2011 - Packet reached ABU DHABI's consulate
  • 03.02.2011 - packet 3 & 4 received by email
  • 03.02.2011 - Confirmation of Interview on 04.14.2011 -
  • 03.07.2011 - Fiancee passed medical exam.
  • 04.14.2011 - K1-Visa Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 04.21.2011 - Picked up Visa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 5 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree that it is stressful trying to plan a wedding while waiting for your visa approval.

I also do not want to be in a situation of planning everything in a 3 month timeline.

At first we had talked about getting married with witnesses and having a renewal of vows

in Canada when I am allowed to travel. Being a woman, I changed my mind to wanting to do

this once with all our family at our sides. I have 3 daughters and 3, soon to be 4 grandchildren

who I want with all my heart to be with me on my wedding day (this is my first wedding).

We went ahead and arranged a date with the pastor and caterer. Both are aware of the

condtional visa approval and are flexable to change the date. We are having a small

wedding at a state park, who will also reassign a date if necessary, and have sent

save the date emails highlighting that the date is on condition my visa comes through

(our date is predicted on VJ stats). So whenever the visa comes through (sooner than later I hope!)

most plans are ready. If it is later into the fall we will have it indoor at the caterer's facility.

So in essence the bride is ready to go...now for immigration's cooperation!

Love Changes Everything

N-400 Process

May 29, 2016 paperwork sent in

June 3, 2016 check cashed! Text message received.

June 2, NOA

June 22, Biometrics

March 3 In Line for Interview

ROC Process

May 8, 2014 paperwork in hands of USCIS,California Service Center!

May 14, 2014 check cashed

June 2, 2014 Biometrics waived

July 16, 2014 10 yr greencard in hand!

AOS Process
September 29, 2011 AOS in hands of USCIS
July 9, 2012 WELCOME TO AMERICA letter!
July 11, 2012 Conditional GreenCard in hand!

K-1 Process
December 18, 2010 Our K-1 package arrived at Homeland Security
August 23, 2011 Approved
September 8, 2011 POE at Grand Portage, MN Border
September 11, 2011 Married!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

My guy and I are planning a small church ceremony and dessert reception in Niagara Falls or Lewiston, NY, since it's less than an hour's drive from where most of our Canadian friends live. Family will have to travel further, but we are looking forward to marrying within 2 or 3 days of using the visa (I believe there's a 24-hour wait time in NY between the marriage license and certificate).

We got our NOA1 back in July/10, and just got word of an RFE, but I haven't made any firm plans anyway. Several friends have volunteered to take care of flowers, food, and music and I have a dress, but we can do without the rest. We've sent formal engagement notices with our intention to marry in "early 2011" to all of our family and the wider network of friends and acquaintances but we're not sending out official invites (also to try to keep the whole thing more low-key).

Our only prayer right now is that the RFE glitch is very minor and I have a visa in hand before lent starts on March 11. Who knew some churches won't marry couples during lent? *sigh* We shall see!

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.