one...two...tree

Police: Alleged freeway shooter was targeting ACLU

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Byron Williams was also focused on the philanthropic Tides Foundation in San Francisco

By TERRY COLLINS, Associated Press

Police say a California man arrested after a freeway shootout with authorities was planning to attack people at the American Civil Liberties Union and another nonprofit group.

Oakland police Officer Jeff Thomason says Byron Williams was upset with the ACLU and Tides Foundation for their left-leaning political views.

Williams told investigators he was on his way to San Francisco late Saturday when California Highway Patrol officers pulled him over on Interstate 580.

Authorities say Williams, wearing a bulletproof vest and armed with three guns, opened fire.

He was arraigned Tuesday on four counts of attempted murder, plus weapons enhancements. He was released from the hospital earlier in the day after being treated for injuries from the shootout.

No CHP officers were seriously injured.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Attempted murder charges have been filed against a California man who authorities said wore a bulletproof vest and was heavily armed during a freeway shootout with California Highway Patrol officers.

Investigators believe 45-year-old Byron Williams may have been en route to a planned attack, but no further details have been released.

Williams was charged Tuesday with four counts of attempted murder on peace officers, as well as enhancements for firearms and body armor. Prosecutors had alleged gang affiliation but later amended the complaint to remove that enhancement.

Williams did not enter a plea during his court appearance just hours after being released from the hospital. He was shot in the arms and legs during the Sunday shootout along Interstate 580.

No officers were seriously injured.

link

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

nothing to see here folks, just another crazy guy with a gun in california. move along.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

nothing to see here folks, just another crazy guy with a gun in california. move along.

The fact that this guy planned out this attack on a specific target, and was well armed to do a lot of damage isn't something I would dismiss as routine. We'll know more about this story as more details begin to emerge. Thank God, the police were able to stop him before he carried out his bloody carnage.

Edited by El Buscador

Filed: Timeline

The fact that this guy planned out this attack on a specific target, and was well armed to do a lot of damage isn't something I would dismiss as routine. We'll know more about this story as more details begin to emerge. Thank God, the police were able to stop him before he carried out his bloody carnage.

he wanted to kill libruls. that must make him a patriot...no?

It'll be interesting to see what sources were fueling his anger.

I see your salivating at the hope he was a tea partier. More than likely this guy was a diguntled naacp member.

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I see your salivating at the hope he was a tea partier. More than likely this guy was a diguntled naacp member.

i hate it when people become disguntled! :protest:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

i hate it when people become disguntled! :protest:

Whats even worse is when a politically motivated individuals hope and pray for tragedy just to peg it to some entity they they disagree with. Being that desperate for a political victory is madness.

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

He is a nutter and I agree with Charles up to a point, the motivation does not say anything about normal people, no matter if he was justifying it to himself on political lines. Terrorists also justify their actions politically - I doubt he was one though, the most likely scenario is a general malaise coupled with some kind of psychological disorder.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

quoted for posterity.

Indeed - even a clock is correct twice a day, isn't that the well worn phrase used in these situations?

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .