Andrew Roberts

I-693, Do I already have it? Do we need it if we already have a sealed envelope?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

My Fiancee and I are applying for our AOS from a K1 Visa. Our question is do we really need to find a CS at all and have a 693 validated? She did all of her medicals AND vaccinations in Germany. After taking all of this to the consulate in Frankfurt, she got her brown envelope (which she handed over at the POE) and another white envelope from the consulate general. On the front is says "Do Not Open This Envelope; Please provide it to the USCIS when the medical examination is requested in conjunction with your adjustment of status (This envelope contains a copy)" and on the back is a sticker over the opening that says "DO NOT OPEN THIS ENVELOPE - it contains a copy of your medical examination. Please provide it to the USCIS when requested in conjunction with your adjustment of status."

So do we do anything? Do we not fill out a I-693 and have to pay for it to be validated form a CS and just send this sealed envelope in? Do we hold on to this envelope incase it got lost in the forwarded brown envelope and we get a RFE? What's the deal here, because none of the posts I've found so far on here or elsewhere has talked about having one of these sealed envelopes.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My Fiancee and I are applying for our AOS from a K1 Visa. Our question is do we really need to find a CS at all and have a 693 validated? She did all of her medicals AND vaccinations in Germany. After taking all of this to the consulate in Frankfurt, she got her brown envelope (which she handed over at the POE) and another white envelope from the consulate general. On the front is says "Do Not Open This Envelope; Please provide it to the USCIS when the medical examination is requested in conjunction with your adjustment of status (This envelope contains a copy)" and on the back is a sticker over the opening that says "DO NOT OPEN THIS ENVELOPE - it contains a copy of your medical examination. Please provide it to the USCIS when requested in conjunction with your adjustment of status."

So do we do anything? Do we not fill out a I-693 and have to pay for it to be validated form a CS and just send this sealed envelope in? Do we hold on to this envelope incase it got lost in the forwarded brown envelope and we get a RFE? What's the deal here, because none of the posts I've found so far on here or elsewhere has talked about having one of these sealed envelopes.

It contains your DS-2053 & DS-3025... I would submit with the I-485

YMMV

Timeline

It contains your DS-2053 & DS-3025... I would submit with the I-485

Great, but do we need to do the whole I-693 and find a Civil Surgeon? If these are sealed and to be opened by the USCIS, then it be an issue if this CS needs to open them up to see them. Is the I-693 exempt for us? Can we forget about all that info that goes along with the 693 and just send this sealed envelope in?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Great, but do we need to do the whole I-693 and find a Civil Surgeon? If these are sealed and to be opened by the USCIS, then it be an issue if this CS needs to open them up to see them. Is the I-693 exempt for us? Can we forget about all that info that goes along with the 693 and just send this sealed envelope in?

The DS-2053 is accepted by the USCIS in lieu of the I-693 if the medical exam was done less than one year ago when filing for AOS. This is standard for all "K" AOS applicants. Vaccinations (ds-3025) are sometimes something else all together. I would submit what you have and see if they need the vaccinations info at which time you can go to a CS and only have the vaccination part done.

YMMV

Timeline

The DS-2053 is accepted by the USCIS in lieu of the I-693 if the medical exam was done less than one year ago when filing for AOS. This is standard for all "K" AOS applicants. Vaccinations (ds-3025) are sometimes something else all together. I would submit what you have and see if they need the vaccinations info at which time you can go to a CS and only have the vaccination part done.

Thanks for the quick reply, but we're still hazy on this.

So the I-693a which is a supplementary form for just the DS-3025 vaccination may or may not be included in this envelope, and we may or may not have to go to a CS to get her DS-3025 form from Germany that an authorized Panel Physician already signed?

So usually you take your Vaccination sheet to a CS and have a supplementary I-693a filled out and sealed. And we have a vaccination sheet that's been signed by an authorized Panel Physician, which my understanding is that they are the same as a CS but outside of the US. So if that's the case, and it's in the sealed envelope, then a CS isn't needed. Unless the Civil Surgeons have a lobby group and lobbied congress to still require all of this redundant visits so they can make more money, lol.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you come in on a K1 visa, all you have to do is take your vaccination record to the civil surgeon and he will transcribe your vaccinations onto I693. You do not need a new medical. Most of us have done that and we didn't get RFEs. Some people opt to just send in the vaccination record that the panel physician gave you, and some have got away with it but most of them get RFEs. So I would suggest you find a CS who is willing to only transcribe the vaccinations and it should be cheap. Mine was 35 dollars. Some of them will try to tell you that you need a new medical, but that's not true. HOpe that helps

0vi7t8.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your sealed visa packet does not contain an I-693. At all. Or any subsection or variant thereof. Do not open it to check, in case you were thinking of it. :)

It does contain your full medical report. This is not particularly relevant to you.

You will have received, separate from and outside your sealed envelope, a DS-3025 vaccination worksheet, which is basically a copy of one of the pages of the full medical report. It will have a big grid, with a row for each vaccine. One box in each row will be checked, indicating whether you have received that vaccine, or whether it was excused based on one of a number of factors such as age inappropriateness or medical contraindication.

Unless your DS-3025 has a check in "Completed" for every single vaccine, you will need to seek out a local civil surgeon after you enter the US and have them transcribe your DS-3025 information onto a full I-693 [not an I-693a], filling out just the first, last, and vaccination sections of the I-693. They then will seal the I-693 in a letter-sized envelope, which you will include in your AOS packet.

This process should not cost more then 35-50 dollars, and you should not need, or accept, another full medical examination. The CS may require you to get a few additional vaccinations, even if they were excused (and marked as such) by the panel physician at the initial examination, but you do not need, and should not accept, much less pay for, another full medical examination. Many CS's are (willfully?) confused about these rules. Find the thread here about CSs who respect the rules, or do a search on the USCIS website for local CS's and phone around, until you find one who will just transcribe your DS-3025 for a reasonable fee.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

• 4 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

hey andrew!!!!

my name is sarah and well i know exactly of what kinda envelope you been talking about since i have one as well and we have no idea of what to do with it. we just send out the aos papers on monday but did not send that small white envelope since we rather get a rfe than sneding something that they might just throw away cause they didnt need it.

so here is my question: since you already had to deal with it months earlier what did you end up doing with that envelope? i would really appreciate an answer of you if you still around here on vj.

thanks a lot in advance,

sarah

MY TIMELINE FOR THE K-1 VISA:

05/17/2010: I-129F sent

05/20/2010: NOA1

05/25/2010: NOA1 hard copy

07/23/2010: NOA2

07/26/2010: NVC received

07/30/2010: NOA2 hard copy

08/02/2010: NVC left

08/04/2010: Consulate received

08/14/2010: Packet 3 received

08/16/2010: Packet 3 sent

08/19/2010: Medical in Frankfurt

08/19/2010: Packet 4 received

09/01/2010: Interview in Frankfurt APPROVED

09/09/2010: Visa received

09/22/2010: US entry

11/05/2010: Married

MY TIMELINE FOR AOS:

11/22/2010: Filed AOS including EAD and AP

12/06/2010: E-Notification: Application received & forwarded to NBC

12/06/2010: NOA

12/08/2010: Received hardcopy of NOA in mail

12/13/2010: Received Biometrics Letter

01/07/2011: Biometrics Appointment (I485 and EAD)

01/14/2011: I485 Case Transfer to CSC (NOA 01/10/2011)

02/09/2011: AOS E-Mail and Text: RFE

02/15/2011: AOS RFE Letter received (new medical???)

03/01/2011: Sent reply to RFE (USPS)

03/04/2011: USPS tracking information: delivered

03/04/2011: AOS E-Mail and Text: RFE Response Review

03/08/2011: AOS E-Mail and Text: Card Production

03/08/2011: AOS E-Mail and Text: Decision

03/09/2011: AOS E-Mail and Text: Card Production

03/11/2011: AOS E-Mail and Text: Post Decision Activity: APPROVED 03/10/2010

03/14/2011: Received Welcome Letter in mail

03/14/2011: Received Green Card in mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.