Trumplestiltskin

Racism

101 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Series of videos. A must see for anyone with a serious (that's the key word.. serious) interest in this subject.

1 of 6

2 of 6

3 of 6

4 of 6

5 of 6

6 of 6

no, your mind is made up. so you said it. list them.

I've posted a series of videos, if you wish to learn something out of your comfort zone. I encourage you to watch. You don't have to agree.

You don't even have to talk about poverty - certainly there's more than enough of it to go around. But on balance of probability are you more or less likely to experience poverty as a white kid, or a black kid?

more likely a black kid. but that wasn't the question, don't change the question. the question was..'do you honestly believe that a poor white kid in america has any advantage in life over a poor black, hispanic, asian, or any other race poor kid?' if so....list them.

7yqZWFL.jpg

more likely a black kid. but that wasn't the question, don't change the question. the question was..'do you honestly believe that a poor white kid in america has any advantage in life over a poor black, hispanic, asian, or any other race poor kid?' if so....list them.

Take an hour out of your life and learn about white privilege from an expert. The videos are posted.

Series of videos. A must see for anyone with a serious (that's the key word.. serious) interest in this subject.

1 of 6

2 of 6

3 of 6

4 of 6

5 of 6

6 of 6

I've posted a series of videos, if you wish to learn something out of your comfort zone. I encourage you to watch. You don't have to agree.

youtube is blocked at work, i'll watch them later. how about you list the advantages for me.

7yqZWFL.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I see what my dad's family came from, fleeing war in the early years of the 20th century, settling in Texas and living out the American Dream. The grandkids, my generation, are to a person Anglophone by birth, and honky through and through (except for our lovely tans). But at the same time, my immigrant grandparents came at a different time, and under different circumstances than Hispanic immigrants (legal or not) of today. There was a great emphasis on education and bettering oneself, and the neighbourhoods in which my father and his peers lived in Texas were not segregated or economically repressed. I'm conscious that my story is very different from that of other Hispanics, not least because I was raised amongst a bunch of Irish Catholics.

Edited for clarity (though it's still #######).

You mention Irish Catholics in there and I couldn't help but imagining you reciting it with an Irish accent.

On a more serious note-

the story will always change when [unintended or innocent] recipients of institutionalized (as well as socialized) racism's benefits come to grips with something they know to be true, and quite real in having shaped the way things are today to any nth degrees... but still fight against when the topic is brought up.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

I mean, do people really feel that blacks and other minorities receive more latitude when it comes to free speech at the expense of others? Or is it merely that people insist on focussing debates on extreme people and personalities?

IMO the animosity is with the double standard that obviously exists with our black citizens. I have had the sins of America's past regarding slavery shoved down my throat since I was a kid as have others. It gets old and people are sick of it.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't really feel that your question is relevant.

You're insisting on characterising the issue as one of poverty. I'm suggesting that social inequalities between whites and blacks can be perceived by looking at the difference in the experiences of black and white people. I'm not disputing that there are poor people of every colour, I'm suggesting that whites have a (generally) different experience to blacks in US society. If that weren't the case, then poverty wouldn't be so endemic amongst the black population, nor would the teen pregancy rates, high school graduation rates, life-expectancy, likelihood of jail etc. etc. show marked disparities between racial and socio-economic groups.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

IMO the animosity is with the double standard that obviously exists with our black citizens. I have had the sins of America's past regarding slavery shoved down my throat since I was a kid as have others. It gets old and people are sick of it.

What you're saying is that you are not interested in the historical aspects of current problems, out of some sort of reactionism to having things "shoved down your throat since (you) were a kid".

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Is it a "white" thing specifically or is it a class issue?

You don't have to look very far back to when the US was a radically different place than it is now (at least on the surface). Slavery might not be within living memory, but the legacy of black repression certainly was - in segregation.

Certainly there is racism within the black community, but I don't understand the anger in response to it. It's as though they don't want to be reminded that although American society is supposedly "post-racial" (thought I don't think people who say that really believe it) they are obsessed with tearing down any minority figure that makes even the slightest hint of a dodgy comment. I wonder if some of these people are simply not interested in their own country's historical legacy and are either unable or unwilling to recognise that on some level, they have benefitted from an unfair system.

mad you know I will speak my mind right or wrong agree with you or not.. so here goes.

In respect to racisim it is not an american quality only but i will try to focus on here in the USA.

Yes there are racial comments made and attitudes between minority groups. Those comments are frowned upon but if it is a white person making any such comment it can be and most often blasted way out of proportion.

It is not right for any person to use disparaging words such has (sorry Elm) "half-spick". Elm used this in a humorous way but the word itself is used as a very racist way to discribe an individual. heck this word was created tobe used as a racial slur.

I wish in my youth that I have never made a racial slur towards someone but unfortunately I have. Does this mean I am racist no but it does mean I had a bad temper and lost common sense back then.

Your correct slavery is not a memory any American of any color can remember at least in the sense we are speaking of but racial segregation is and it did oppress black people and other minorities. Laws have been passed to protect those rights but there should also be a balance to those laws such as affirmative action; imo. does that make me racist ..No.

What it means is the best person for a job should be selected based on their own merits not color.

A minority group should walk around thinking hey I was oppressed 30 years ago every white person owes me because most likely that person wasn't oppressed and grew up with equal rigths and most often advanages. (this couldbe another discussion). Does this opinion make me Racist..No.

Now do I want those laws thrown out no I do not becasue they do protect minoritiesand their rights.

The normal white guy I would think feels as I do and does not want any infrastructure built to help minorities torn down.

I do have my prejudices which are biased towrds legal citizens of this country no matter what race. I believe a legal resident and citizen has more rights and should have more prvelliges than an Illegal Alien (any race). Does that make me racist..No does it make me a xenophobe...no it makes me a US citizen that is concerned about the direction my country is headed.(sorry if I went of topic)

There are racist/bigoted hateful people across all races. So to say people are racist here on VJ I do not think so but it is possible.

Ask yourself this

AACP stands for National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Does this mean Latin, Asian, Indian etc. they are all of colored skin. No thes minorities need their own organizations although alot of them work together.

What would happen if there was NAAWP? National Association for the Advancement of White People? I understand this is the type of questions people present trying to defend their own racial views but it is a good question what would happen or be said about it?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

What was likely sensed as a shoving may have actually been exposure. Big difference there... and no, I am not singling Simpson out on that one or the following- my observation is that those most readily willing to resist the acquisition of an unbiased education based on actual historical fact are those representative of the demographics that have acted to suppress such an education in the first place.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.