Mike & Emilie

I feel like my application fell through the cracks

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There is a reason they publish the average processing times.. that's how long you should expect to wait. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that.

Do not expect your petition to be done with in 90 days if it clearly says an avg 5 months on an official gov website!

If you're beyond the 5 months (or 6 months as we were told) - call USCIS and ask for an update. If that doesn't help (up to 90 days..), then call your senator or senator.

Yes I understand the "average" on the government website is 5 months. And I also understand that sites like this one keep track of averages too. VJ says the average should be about 68 days, which is why I am slightly concerned. I'm much more trusting that VJ keeps track of the averages on a month-to-month basis, if not a week-to-week basis, where as the government probably just averages out the length over the last few years (and then adds 2 months just to be sure).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We just got our approval email today (and then it disappeared off my gmail account which is really odd?!) but checked the USCIS site and it does show approval as of today.

Seems like us Canadians take longer than some other nationalities to get approved.

Hope you get yours this week!

Met Dec. 14th

Engaged Apr. 14th

Sent K-1 - Apr. 28th

Arrived USCIS-Cal - Apr. 29th (signed by B. Vu)

Approved - July 21

Medical - Sept. 29

Interview - Oct. 22

Filed: Timeline

Yes I understand the "average" on the government website is 5 months. And I also understand that sites like this one keep track of averages too. VJ says the average should be about 68 days, which is why I am slightly concerned. I'm much more trusting that VJ keeps track of the averages on a month-to-month basis, if not a week-to-week basis, where as the government probably just averages out the length over the last few years (and then adds 2 months just to be sure).

I understand your concern, don't get me wrong. I didn't mean to bring you down but that's just the facts. I know how much the waiting can suck, especially when others get approved so much faster (took us 6.5 months). Try not to freak yourself out. Wait a few more weeks and then call USCIS to try and get some more info.

It'll all work out and things move on so much quicker once you're past the petition stage :thumbs:

ég eri ekki lengur kalt, hef aftur líf. lifnar mín sál, heiminn mála.

bless bless Þýskalandi! ég elsker þig!

All the reports from folks that had waited much longer than 3 months are all perfectly valid,

so if you want to wait it out based on the government disclaimer of "5 months" feel free to

do so if time is not of the essence.

We went for an infopass because time was getting very critical (it was less than 3 weeks

before my stepson's university graduation) as she had no AP document and the status

of the AP document that we saw online was not promising. Neither could we obtain any

more information by phone. On that score, the IO at the infopass refused to give it to us

that day, because he confirmed that it had been mailed. Luckily we got it in the mail the

same day.

Since I had a live IO in front of me, I asked if it was OK for me to ask general questions

about the list of requirements in the interview invitation and about the interview itself.

I asked those and got good responses. All of the above made the infopass visit worthwhile.

If more people made infopass appointments, I think they would begin to see that their

online & telephone services for applicants are very very inadequate and could be

due for an upgrade in a secure way. Naturally the infopass takes up time of their staff

that could be better utilized in actually processing applications and delivering documents

certifying progress in our application process.

However, if they begin to see how this current structure is so inefficient, there may be

a move to make some changes to make the infopass unnecessary and save them

a lot of money in the process.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The purpose of the infopass appointment for the OP has nothing to do with anyone

else's application, good or bad. He simply wants information and that is the purpose

of the infopass. His processing time has gone beyond the average for both CA & VT centers. Disengenuous replies don't help.

How has he gone beyond the posted average of 5 months when the NOA1 was April 20th?

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.