myheartwillgoon

Name changed at court house only

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband is from Egypt and they dont have last names, so they gave him a name 5 fathers long. He wants to change it to only 3 names long and make his 3rd name his last name. His name on his passport and then on his visa says Amr Elsayed Ali Badaway Elfakharany. So they said when he got his conditional residency card a lady there said he could just go change his name at the court house, so He changed it to Amr Elsayed Ali with Ali as his last name. They wont change his ssn until he gets his permanent resident card and removes conditions. My question is , when we file to lift conditions, what name do we put????? Or do we put he name on the conditional card and then tell them at the interview he went to court to change his name?? I have not took Elfakharany as my last name its to much like meet the Faukers. He He.

Myheartwillgoon

My husband is from Egypt and they dont have last names, so they gave him a name 5 fathers long. He wants to change it to only 3 names long and make his 3rd name his last name. His name on his passport and then on his visa says Amr Elsayed Ali Badaway Elfakharany. So they said when he got his conditional residency card a lady there said he could just go change his name at the court house, so He changed it to Amr Elsayed Ali with Ali as his last name. They wont change his ssn until he gets his permanent resident card and removes conditions. My question is , when we file to lift conditions, what name do we put????? Or do we put he name on the conditional card and then tell them at the interview he went to court to change his name?? I have not took Elfakharany as my last name its to much like meet the Faukers. He He.

I think you should file with new name, explain in the covering letter and attach a copy of "change of name" obtained from the court. It would be advisable to attach a certified copy. I would also suggest that you make take info pass and talk to the IO.

Removing Conditions

07/02/10 I-751 Packet mailed to VSC

07/06/10 Packet received

07/07/10 NOA1 received on 07/14/10

07/09/10 Check cleared

08/12/10 Bio appointment; received on 07/23/10

08/04/10 Early Bio

08/19/10 Card production ordered; email and text

08/24/10 Approved I751; email and text

08/26/10 Approval Notice received from Local Office by mail

08/28/10 GC received by mail

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I think you should file with new name, explain in the covering letter and attach a copy of "change of name" obtained from the court. It would be advisable to attach a certified copy. I would also suggest that you make take info pass and talk to the IO.

What is info pass and who is the IO, sorry for the question? confused.

Myheartwillgoon

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You file the I-751 with his new name as his family name and provide them copies of the documents that legally changed his name...

YMMV

Like others said - his new legal name is the name you use, and then provide documentation with the evidence that he has legally changed his name from the one on the GC. It should be fine this way.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

These foot long names are such a sticky wicket!! :lol::bonk:

Right now we are in a sorted mess because of my husbands name. On his GC it's his first name, middle name, last name and then another last name.... :lol: Needless to say when we got the social security card it only had his first name, middle name, and the last last name.

When we went to the DMV they wouldn't give him a DL or ID card because the names were different on the GC and SS card.

So another trip to the SS office and they are telling me that they aren't sure if his name would fit on the card.....

needless to say, it did and now we are waiting for the new card to get his ID card. What a pain!!!!!

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.