davidked

AOS in a Week. Wife Officially Arrested Tonight

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

How do I handle this crazy situation?

We have our AOS in a week. My wife was driving tonight with her daughter and the police turned on their lights. My wife didn't quite understand what to do and she didn't pull over and then I think she just kinda froze and drove straight for 5 minutes at the speed limit. The cops rightly didn't like this and they ended up pulling guns on her and her daughter and placed them in handcuffs. Once they understood that their was a language barrier they relaxed. They ended giving her an arrest and release and brought her home to me. They gave her 4 tickets - driving without a valid license (which I believe is not true because she had a russian license that is valid), failure to have insurance (which will be erased because she had valid insurance), failure to yield to an emergency vehicle, and impending traffic. The police were very cool about the situation as they could have really thrown her in jail and charged her with much worse things. But, now we have a small mess on our hands.

She has to go to court to deal with this in 3 weeks but our AOS interview is in 1 week. How do we handle this since now she has been officially arrested? Will this cause any problems?

Thanks.

David

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I'm sorry to hear about this mishap so close to your interview!

Bring whatever documentation you have of the arrest and proof that she does have a license as well as insurance.

Explain everything honestly if they ask about any arrests.

In my opinion it should not be a big deal because they gave her tickets for traffic violations, which is one of the exceptions on the yes/no questions in i-485.

"Been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, convicted, fined, or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, excluding traffic violations?."

Good luck!

How do I handle this crazy situation?

We have our AOS in a week. My wife was driving tonight with her daughter and the police turned on their lights. My wife didn't quite understand what to do and she didn't pull over and then I think she just kinda froze and drove straight for 5 minutes at the speed limit. The cops rightly didn't like this and they ended up pulling guns on her and her daughter and placed them in handcuffs. Once they understood that their was a language barrier they relaxed. They ended giving her an arrest and release and brought her home to me. They gave her 4 tickets - driving without a valid license (which I believe is not true because she had a russian license that is valid), failure to have insurance (which will be erased because she had valid insurance), failure to yield to an emergency vehicle, and impending traffic. The police were very cool about the situation as they could have really thrown her in jail and charged her with much worse things. But, now we have a small mess on our hands.

She has to go to court to deal with this in 3 weeks but our AOS interview is in 1 week. How do we handle this since now she has been officially arrested? Will this cause any problems?

Thanks.

David

AOS 05/08/10 - sent05/14/10 - receipt date on NOAs - transferred to National Benefits Center06/14/10 - Biometrics Done - Lawrence, MA (original appt)07/26/10 - Interview - APPROVED!!07/30/10 - Welcome letter rec'd (notice date: 07/26)08/05/10 - Green Card (&EAD) Received! - 2 months and 28 days total!ROC 04/28/12 - ROC package sent05/03/12 - check cashed05/04/12 - NOA1 received - dated 05/01/1206/07/12 - Biometrics done02/07/13 - Approved (status update via text msg)02/14/13 - Ten year Green card receivedNaturalization07/26/13 - eligible (90 day window opened 4/27/13)02/24/14 - N-400 sent to Dallas03/04/14 - Check cashed & case accepted (update via txt & email)03/10/14 - Biometrics appt letter rec'd (scheduled for 03/28/13)03/28/14 - Biometrics done04/01/14 - In line for interview 04/03/14 - Case status change to scheduled for interview04/10/14 - interview letter rec'd 5/13/14 - interview 6/3/14 - in line for oath 6/30/14 - Scheduled for oath

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/New%20Resident/NewResident.pdf

According to this her Russian license was good for 60 days.

Insurance, well that would depend if there is a requirement to have a valid license.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.