Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Travelling to Canada (visa? )

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

hey guys, I came to the states on a K1 fiance visa. I applied for AOS, AP and EAD. I received my AP just today.

now my question is, my country of birth requires me to get a visa to visit canada, so does the AP document change that? I'm sure when I have my green card, I don't need a visa, but do I still need one with the AP while im waiting for my green card to arrive?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes and incorrect. You will travel with the passport of your country until you become a US citizen and obtain a US passport. Therefore most of the requirements of your country in regards to a visa will remain the same, even having a green card changes very little.

I have heard Canada is a little different in regards to US green card holders but I have not definitive proof of this.

Check this link to see the requirements. Visa Requirements

Edited by belinda63

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can tell you for sure:

The AP document does not affect Canada's visa requirements. You will still need a visa to visit Canada, until your GC arrives.

As you stated correctly, GC holders are an exception to Canada's normal visa requirements. Once you have a US green card, you do not need a visa to visit Canada. You'll just show them the passport and green card, and you can go in just like a normal American tourist.

If you search other posts on the subject (particularly mine) you'll find a link to the Canadian government web page that lists visa requirements by country that confirms this.


"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.