menina

registration of marriage in consulate

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If we missed the deadline for registering our marriage at the consulate, is that it? I was told that it was optional, but we want to be able to return to live in Brasil if it becomes necessary. What steps would I need to take to make sure our marriage is legally recognized in Brasil other than contacting our consulate here? They do not answer their phones or respond to emails, and it is a long drive just to find that they will not help us. Thank you for any advice.

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If we missed the deadline for registering our marriage at the consulate, is that it? I was told that it was optional, but we want to be able to return to live in Brasil if it becomes necessary. What steps would I need to take to make sure our marriage is legally recognized in Brasil other than contacting our consulate here? They do not answer their phones or respond to emails, and it is a long drive just to find that they will not help us. Thank you for any advice.

Registering your marriage at the US consulate would have no effect on whether the marriage is recognized in Brazil or have any effect on a decision to live in Brazil. I assume if you have registered your marriage at the necessary Brazilian authorities then it is a recognized marriage. Think about it... the US consulate does not legalize anything that is governed by local law...

YMMV

Timeline

Registering your marriage at the US consulate would have no effect on whether the marriage is recognized in Brazil or have any effect on a decision to live in Brazil. I assume if you have registered your marriage at the necessary Brazilian authorities then it is a recognized marriage. Think about it... the US consulate does not legalize anything that is governed by local law...

Yes that makes sense. So we would just register our marriage in Brazil if we decided to move here? The reason I ask is that there is a permanent visa available to spouses of Brazilian citizens, but I believe your marriage has to first be registered here. By registering at the consulate, a document is received in Portuguese showing that the marriage has taken place. I think that document is also sent to the federal registry in Brazil.How does Brazil know that my husband is now married since we were married in the US?

Edited by menina
event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes that makes sense. So we would just register our marriage in Brazil if we decided to move here? The reason I ask is that there is a permanent visa available to spouses of Brazilian citizens, but I believe your marriage has to first be registered here. By registering at the consulate, a document is received in Portuguese showing that the marriage has taken place. I think that document is also sent to the federal registry in Brazil.How does Brazil know that my husband is now married since we were married in the US?

Ahhhhh.... Then you want to look at registering at the Brazilian consulate in the USA...

http://www.brazilmiami.org/eng/jurisdiction.php

http://www.brazilconsulatechicago.org/en-2-3-0.html

There is a consulate in LA & SF

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Menina, look for a Brazilian consulate close to you and go there to apply.

You can either do this here in the US or when you go to Brazil, but if you decide to do this there, you will have to have the marriage license legalized by the Brazilian Consulate here. So you mind as well do everything in the US, I imagine it will be the easiest way. Boa sorte =)

CR-1 Journey - California Service Center

I-130 timeline:
I-130 NOA1 - 05th Nov, 2009
I-130 NOA2 - 10th February, 2010 Yay!!!!
"Your I-130 was approved in 97 days from your NOA1 date."

NVC Journey:
02-16-2010: NVC Case # Assigned
03-31-2010: Case Complete!!
04-12-2010: Interview date assigned by NVC.
05-11-2010: Medical appointment in Rio

05-13-2010: Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!

06-02-2010: POE in Washington DC - Finally home!

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

03-02-2012: Elegible to lift conditions
06-02-2012: Temporary GC expires

12-20-2012: Permanent GC received

6 MONTHS LATER......

06/03/2013: n400 Filled

10/22/2013: Citizenship test and oath ceremony

Very simple process, but process requires more than just the original marriage license. What you need to do is complete the Marriage Certification Application http://en.brazilny.org/index.php?/consulado/forms/. You will need to call your nearest consulate/embassy and confirm the hours of operation for Brazilian National Services [in NY they only process services after 2PM]. Present the application wthe a Money Order and all the documents requested and you will have to return a week later to pick it up.. You will receive a certificate which have to be presented at your local jurisdiction when you visit your country [Cartorio??]

Instructions and required documents are included in the last page of the application.

One More Thing,

Certifying the marriage with your embassy/consulate in the USA is the first step in this process, does not finalized or complete the registration. You will need to present the certificate in your State to complete the process

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

Timeline

Very simple process, but process requires more than just the original marriage license. What you need to do is complete the Marriage Certification Application http://en.brazilny.org/index.php?/consulado/forms/. You will need to call your nearest consulate/embassy and confirm the hours of operation for Brazilian National Services [in NY they only process services after 2PM]. Present the application wthe a Money Order and all the documents requested and you will have to return a week later to pick it up.. You will receive a certificate which have to be presented at your local jurisdiction when you visit your country [Cartorio??]

Instructions and required documents are included in the last page of the application.

One More Thing,

Certifying the marriage with your embassy/consulate in the USA is the first step in this process, does not finalized or complete the registration. You will need to present the certificate in your State to complete the process

Thank you so much for the information. Do you mean present the information in my state here in Brasil to finalize the process? My main concern is that we have passed the 6 months time limit listed on the website, so they may not accept our application. I appreciate your response.

event.png

Thank you so much for the information. Do you mean present the information in my state here in Brasil to finalize the process? My main concern is that we have passed the 6 months time limit listed on the website, so they may not accept our application. I appreciate your response.

With the legalized marriage certificate on hand issued by the Brazilian consulate, you can now complete the registration of your marriage in Brazil. The consulate office in the USA will not register your marriage, they are just providing you with the document the 'cartorio" requires to legalize your marriage in your Home Land.

You mentioned the window time has passed, 6 month.. I am not sure about that little [big] detail, but the consulate office will be the correct place to ask that question. They are not answering possibly due to the hours of operation. Here in NY, they only work answering questions after 2 PM and when you visit them, they are always in a bad mood, gee..

Maybe, you want to call other consulates in different states to ask the question only.

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

Timeline

With the legalized marriage certificate on hand issued by the Brazilian consulate, you can now complete the registration of your marriage in Brazil. The consulate office in the USA will not register your marriage, they are just providing you with the document the 'cartorio" requires to legalize your marriage in your Home Land.

You mentioned the window time has passed, 6 month.. I am not sure about that little [big] detail, but the consulate office will be the correct place to ask that question. They are not answering possibly due to the hours of operation. Here in NY, they only work answering questions after 2 PM and when you visit them, they are always in a bad mood, gee..

Maybe, you want to call other consulates in different states to ask the question only.

Okay, that makes sense. I am here in Brasil visiting right now, so I thought that if there was something I could do now,I wanted to take advantage of it. I finally got an email from the consulate in SF, but they just referred me to the instructions on the website. From what I can tell, the 180 days begin once you return to Brasil, so maybe we won´t have a problem registering in SF when we get back. At any rate, we are going to get the new birth certificate (required to be printed in the past 6 months) while we are here and then try our luck in SF. I understand about the bad mood thing in NY. Why are all government agencies like that? Maybe because they are underpaid? lol

event.png

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Okay, that makes sense. I am here in Brasil visiting right now, so I thought that if there was something I could do now,I wanted to take advantage of it. I finally got an email from the consulate in SF, but they just referred me to the instructions on the website. From what I can tell, the 180 days begin once you return to Brasil, so maybe we won´t have a problem registering in SF when we get back. At any rate, we are going to get the new birth certificate (required to be printed in the past 6 months) while we are here and then try our luck in SF. I understand about the bad mood thing in NY. Why are all government agencies like that? Maybe because they are underpaid? lol

UPDATE:

We just got back from San Francisco where we were able to register our marriage. The clerk was very helpful and friendly and answered all of our questions. The 180 days begin once we return to Brasil for any reason, so on our next trip down, we will go to the cartorio and finish the registration process there. As far as the new birth certificate (de 2a via), we did get that in Brasil after an annoying 2 hour wait with only one person ahead of us who was already being helped when we arrived.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.