dontletsstart

Newbie with unusual situations

6 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, just got engaged last week!! I'm from the states, and my fiance is from Peru, but we live together in Spain. We've been together for nearly 3 years now and have been planning on getting engaged and moving to the states for awhile. I've looked into the fiance visa process, but have some questions that I hope you can answer.

1) My fiance is Peruvian, but has lived in Spain for 8 years and is now a Spanish citizen as well, so he has dual citizenship. I assume we need to turn in his Peruvian birth certificate, but do we need to provide info about his Spanish nationality? His ID card is from Spain. Can we explain in the cover letter his nationality situation and just provide the documents that support that?

2) I'm currently a grad student in Spain, I'll be graduating at the end of the month. (yay!) My plan was to stay in Spain until the end of the year, then go home to find a job. Unfortuately, this means I won't be working and won't have any income to show them. My parents have agreed to co-sponsor, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm just worried that they'd deny him because I haven't had a job due to school and work restrictions for international students in Spain. I would go home now and find a job immediately to avoid the whole situation, but my fiance will be having sugery in the fall, and since things move slowly with the NHS, we don't know exactly when. I'd like to be here with him for that. Obviously, if it comes down to being with him or having his visa approved, I'll go for the later. I just wanted to run this situation by some people who might have some insight.

I hope all of this makes sense. Any advice at all is welcome!

Thank you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

1. assume the interview will be in Spain, yes? Focus on police clearance certificates from Peru and Spain, will be needed on interview day - learn how to get those.

2. co-sponsers/joint-sponsers - no problem - just make sure you have an I-134 ON YOU, and show you were student overseas (usually a letter of attestation is sufficient, some ppl also get transcripts or letter from the school bursars/registrar's office to prove up any timeline )

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Thanks for the response. I've been looking for more answers regarding my 1st question. When filling out his nationality on the forms, do we say Peruvian, Spanish, or both? I've been searching for an answer on the site, but haven't found anything difinitive yet. Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the response. I've been looking for more answers regarding my 1st question. When filling out his nationality on the forms, do we say Peruvian, Spanish, or both? I've been searching for an answer on the site, but haven't found anything difinitive yet. Thanks!

I would simply indicate both, but let me ask you a question... Which passport will he submit to the Consulate for the visa? The answer to that question is the one I would indicate first and foremost.

YMMV

He'll submit his Spanish passport, so I'll put that as his nationality. Could I just explain in the cover letter than he has dual citizenship, but that we're listing his Spanish nationality on the forms? We can provide his Peruvian birth certificate, and his Spanish nationalization papers and ID for proof.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

He'll submit his Spanish passport, so I'll put that as his nationality. Could I just explain in the cover letter than he has dual citizenship, but that we're listing his Spanish nationality on the forms? We can provide his Peruvian birth certificate, and his Spanish nationalization papers and ID for proof.

That will all be needed at the interview later on... his BC and ID info is not needed for the petition stage

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.