^_^

A good example of what's wrong with kids these days...

59 posts in this topic

"Don't make me do that again!"

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think I would call this kid lazy...

Like most of his classmates, Scott tries to get by on a shoestring and manages to earn enough in odd jobs to pay some expenses.

The jobs are catch as catch can. He and a friend recently put up a white wooden fence for a neighbor, embedding the posts in cement, a day’s work that brought Scott $125. He mows lawns and gardens for half a dozen clients in Grafton, some of them family friends. And he is an active volunteer firefighter.

“As frustrated as I get now, and I never intended to live at home, I’m in a good situation in a lot of ways,” Scott said. “I have very little overhead and no debt, and it is because I have no debt that I have any sort of flexibility to look for work. Otherwise, I would have to have a job, some kind of full-time job.”

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38126526

mvSuprise-hug.gif

How did that kid get through college with no debt?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

How did that kid get through college with no debt?

Grandparents created a fund. I was in a similar position. My grandfather bought a bond for about $1000 in 1982 for me and it matured in 2001 at 10,000. Then my father converted about 15,000 dollars in stock over and I had about 15,000 dollars in scholarships, plus about 8,000 dollars from summer internships.

So, in other words, your parents enabled you.

Русский форум член.

It's not dirty, but it should illustrate why parents of children who choose to turn down $40,000 jobs while living at home don't understand the child's behavior. "Here, I'm going to hand you $25,000 and support you through school. I just don't understand why you won't take that job."

(Not saying this is your particular case, just saying when parents have the means to pass on that kind of money to their children, it's somewhat perplexing they find it perplexing their children laugh in the face of $40,000.)

Русский форум член.

25k over a period of 4 years (average length of a 4 year college degree) isn't exactly a LOT of money. What are you on about?

What I'm on about is the parents in this story weren't happy their kid was passing up a $40,000/year job to continue living at home with them yet they'd put him through Colgate. The above poster who was given a minimum of $25,000 for his schooling was also "paid" to go to school. I realize he did internships and the kid in the story did odd jobs, but, the fact of the matter is kids can't go to college and come out debt free without a lot of monetary help from their parents.

When kids are "paid" for their educations, is it any wonder that they continue on the tradition of "holding out for a better offer?"

Русский форум член.

Filed: Timeline

I came out of college with less than 10K in debt. The rest was financed by part-time jobs (throughout college, not just summers) and my dad. When it was time to find a job, I found one. In fact, I took the first offer I got because I was tired of interviewing by that point and they offered me a 2-month delayed start and I saw it as an opportunity to sleep late and watch lots of TV.

and my dad.

Point.

While I'm not saying any of you did anything wrong or bad or anything like that, what I am saying is your dad and probably every other parent who's put their kid through school says the same thing, "When are they going to get a f'king job!"

Русский форум член.