Nicola&Matthew

Going to an English BBQ, recipe ideas and can we get golden syrup in the grocery store?

18 posts in this topic

Got a BBQ this weekend and the theme is british food and I'm kinda stumped on what to bring, I was thinking a good ol' fashioned bread and butter pudding and pineapple upside down cake but it calls for golden syrup. Can we get this here or is there a good suitable alternative? Also if you have any good suggestions for typical british food I can take with me! I'm English and I'm stumped! Thanks a lot!! (some one else is already making a trifle so thats out!

-10/02/06 The beginning of the rest of our lives together!!!

-11/03/06 Our wedding day!!!

AOS Timeline

-03/05/06 NOA 1 For AOS, EAD & AP

-13/05/06 All applications touched

-05/06/06 Letter recieved from USCIS Appointment date set for Biometrics

-21/06/06 Biometrics apptointment

-24/06/06 EAD and AOS Touched

-29/06/06 AP e-mail approval

-02/07/06 EAD Touched

-03/07/06 EAD e-mail approval (61 days)

-08/07/06 Recived AP doccuments

-10/07/06 EAD Arrives!!! Hooray

-15/07/06 USCIS letter recieved for AOS interview date

-22/08/06 AOS interview

-22/08/06 AOS Approved at interview (111 days)

-22/08/06 E-mails from USCIS Confirming AOS approval

-02/09/06 Condtional green card recieved in the mail!!!

-28/05/08 Mailed I-175 Petition to remove conditions

-02/06/08 Application recieved at CA!

-27/06/08 Biometrics

-15/08/08 Green Card recieved, good till 2018!!!

Note: Dates are in UK format because I'm (still) stubborn!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Oooooohhhhh buddy!

Drooooooooolll

May 1, 2006 - Submitted I-129F (Overnight) NSC

May 2, 2006 - NOA1

June 1, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

June 14, 2006 - Notice from CSC it was transferred

June 30, 2006 - Received IMBRA RFE (CSC)

July 5, 2006 - Touched (RFE Received)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED

August 5, 2006 Physical NOA2

August 15, 2006 NVC Received and Sent

August 22, 2006 AIT sent Packet 3

August 22, 2006 Packet 3 got lost in the mail... sending another.. :( :( :(

October 27, 2006 Interview

3dflagsdotcom_chtai_2fawm.gif & 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_us_co_2fawm.gif

AIT (Taiwan Embassy)

C'mon USCIS Lets get some others approved or else watch for the Trident

brick.jpg

Genuine Heinz Baked Beans are available in places here muchhhhhhh nicer than yucky pork beans here for a BBQ lol

We have managed to find treacle at both Wegmans and Giant Eagle near here

LifeacrossthePond

Removing Conditions (here we go again)

July 27th I-751 sent to Nebraska

July 30th USPS delivered

Aug 22nd check cashed

Aug 23rd I797C received - case been transferred to California

Aug 29th Biometrics Appt Letter arrived

Sept 12th Biometrics Appt Pittsburgh

Sept 24th email notice of Approval - card ordered !!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Never had golden syrup, but wondering if it is similiar to a dark corn syrup. Think my gran always used Karo syrup. Ahh here you go this one suggest the lite corn syrup, so I bet it is similiar to your golden syrup.

GOLDEN PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE Topping

1 cup brown sugar 2 kiwi fruit

½ cup room temp butter 2 cans (20 oz) pineapple juice

1 tsp light corn syrup 2 tbls reserved pineapple juice

Pecan halves Maraschino cherries Preheat over to 350 degrees, with oven rack in lower part of oven

You will need one (12 inch) heavy oven-proof cast iron skillet

Drain pineapple slices, reserving the juice. Cut about 6 slices in half. In skillet, mix the 2 tbls of pineapple juice, brown sugar, butter and corn syrup. Simmer on medium heat about 2 minutes until mixture becomes bubbly and light amber, stirring constantly. Remove immediately from heat, as skillet will keep “cooking.” Place a pineapple circle in pan’s center, on top of hot sugar mixture. Place 7 pineapple circles around it. Carefully place the ½ slices around the sides of the skillet, with cut edge in the mixture. Place a whole maraschino cherry in the center “hole” of each ½ pineapple slice. Garnish spaces with pecans, but keep the pineapple circle “holes” empty.

Edited by Tim and Bethanie

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: Timeline
Genuine Heinz Baked Beans are available in places here muchhhhhhh nicer than yucky pork beans here for a BBQ lol

ROFLMFAO!!!! "GENUINE Heinz Baked Beans" LOL!!!!!!!

Contrary to popular belief, Baked Beans aren't a British invention, and therefore, the ####### that Heinz makes is FAR from being genuine. The closest to genuine baked beans that you can buy in the US is probably Bush's baked beans. Heinz "baked beans" are nothing of the sort. They are made with tomato sauce. They ARE those "Pork and Beans" that are much despised here.

From About.com:

The main ingredient in baked beans is maple syrup, not ketchup as some think. The Iroquois discovered maple syrup. Legend tells us that a tomahawk was thrown into a maple tree one night. The next morning sap came out of the hole. This sap tasted sweet. Meat was boiled in it and found to be delicious. Thus we have the beginnings of a baked bean recipe – maple syrup.

Native Americans later made recipes that included maple syrup and bear fat. Are you wondering yet where Boston comes in? You don’t have to wait any longer.

It seems during colonial time, the Pilgrims learned how to make baked beans from the Native Americans but rather than maple syrup and bear fat they used molasses and pork fat. Molasses was used because Boston was one of the ports on the shipping route from England to the Caribbean to New England and back to England. The sugar cane grown in the Caribbean was shipped to Boston, turned into molasses and run and then shipped back to England. However there was more than enough molasses left over and molasses became a major ingredient rather than maple syrup.

Heinz Baked Beans:

Ingredients: beans (49%), tomatoes (27%), water, sugar, salt, modified corn flour, spirit vinegar, spice extracts, herb extract

REAL baked beans:

Ingredients for 6 servings:

1lb Dried small white beans

4 1/2c Water

1/3c Molasses

1/4c Brown sugar

1 Onion, chopped

1/4lb Salt pork, in 1" cubes

1tb Dijon mustard

1/2ts Salt

You see tomatoes in there anywhere?

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Timeline

ROFLMFAO!!!! "GENUINE Heinz Baked Beans" LOL!!!!!!!

Contrary to popular belief, Baked Beans aren't a British invention, and therefore, the ####### that Heinz makes is FAR from being genuine. The closest to genuine baked beans that you can buy in the US is probably Bush's baked beans. Heinz "baked beans" are nothing of the sort. They are made with tomato sauce. They ARE those "Pork and Beans" that are much despised here.

From About.com:

The main ingredient in baked beans is maple syrup, not ketchup as some think. The Iroquois discovered maple syrup. Legend tells us that a tomahawk was thrown into a maple tree one night. The next morning sap came out of the hole. This sap tasted sweet. Meat was boiled in it and found to be delicious. Thus we have the beginnings of a baked bean recipe – maple syrup.

Native Americans later made recipes that included maple syrup and bear fat. Are you wondering yet where Boston comes in? You don't have to wait any longer.

It seems during colonial time, the Pilgrims learned how to make baked beans from the Native Americans but rather than maple syrup and bear fat they used molasses and pork fat. Molasses was used because Boston was one of the ports on the shipping route from England to the Caribbean to New England and back to England. The sugar cane grown in the Caribbean was shipped to Boston, turned into molasses and run and then shipped back to England. However there was more than enough molasses left over and molasses became a major ingredient rather than maple syrup.

10_2_101.gif Baked beans, pork and beans disgusting no matter who made them or what they put in them!

Beans beans good for your heart....... :devil:

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

You could always take a plate of cubes of cheese and pineapple on cocktail sticks! Its easy and people think its the funniest thing for some reason until they eat one and realise they taste good together. rather like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches here. except that don't taste good. Haha!!

Or make scones with jam - would be great if you coud get hold of some real cornish clotted cream...

Louise (Merseyside, UK) and Mike (NY, USA)

Together since 1998

25 Jun 2005 - Married in UK

I-129F

21 Jul 2005 - Sent I-129F Spouse to Chicago

02 Aug 2005 - Received NOA1

10 Aug 2005 - APPROVED!!!

19 Aug 2005 - Arrives at NVC

23 Aug 2005 - Received case number

25 Aug 2005 - Sent to London Consulate

10 Sep 2005 - Recieved packet 3

13 Sep 2005 - Scheduled medical

15 Sep 2005 - Sent back packet 3 forms

04 Oct 2005 - Medical in Birmingham

14 Oct 2005 - Recieved offical interview letter.

31 Oct 2005 - Interview date...VISA ISSUED!!!

04 Nov 2005 - K3 Visa received!!!

19 Nov 2005 - Arrived in US on K3 visa, yea!!!

I-130

07 Jul 2005 - Sent I-130 to Vermont

19 Jul 2005 - Received NOA1

30 Aug 2005 - APPROVED!!!

11 Feb 2006 - Sent I-186 and DS-230

02 Mar 2006 - RFE for missing W2's from I-864 package.

04 Mar 2006 - Send off W2's

20 Mar 2006 - petition has been sent to London

31 May 2006 - Visa interview

02 Jun 2006 - CR-1 Visa recieved!!!!!!!!

06 Jun 2006 - back 'home' to US

16 Jun 2006 - Received social security no.

14th Jul 2006 - Received Green Card!!!

ooh I was wondering about golden syrup as well - I found some syrups in Ingles (grocery store here) and one said 'golden' - its not like the 'genuine' Brit golden syrup package wise but I'm thinmking it may be the same as its marked 'golden'?

Anyone know for sure?

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

By "Genuine" I meant good ole BRITISH Heinz in the blue tin with made in England written on the side of the tin :lol: I actually find it hilarious that I live 30 miles from the home of Heinz (Pittsburgh) and yet the beans I eat are imported from England.

Golden Syrup and corn syrup are tooooooootally different, ask my hubby who has since I have arrived tasted home made Steamed treacle pudding and treacle tart.

When hubby was visiting me in England we threw a surpise kiddy birthday party for him and he is still (three years later) regaling people with tales of the fact that he ate cheese and onions on toothpicks!!!!!!!!!!

LifeacrossthePond

July 30th USPS delivered

Aug 22nd check cashed

Timeline

By "Genuine" I meant good ole BRITISH Heinz in the blue tin with made in England written on the side of the tin :lol: I actually find it hilarious that I live 30 miles from the home of Heinz (Pittsburgh) and yet the beans I eat are imported from England.

Golden Syrup and corn syrup are tooooooootally different, ask my hubby who has since I have arrived tasted home made Steamed treacle pudding and treacle tart.

When hubby was visiting me in England we threw a surpise kiddy birthday party for him and he is still (three years later) regaling people with tales of the fact that he ate cheese and onions on toothpicks!!!!!!!!!!

Just googled Golden syrup, it is a cane syrup with no preservatives and such. Maybe try looking for something similiar in a natural food store.

Found this on a substitution site maybe worth trying:

Q. What can I substitute for cane syrup?

A. Syrup from sugar cane is most commonly available as

Lyle’s Golden Syrup in this country, but is available in more forms and brands in Britain. Corn syrup is not as sweet or flavorful, but can be substituted for cane syrup.

Or you could make a sugar syrup of 1-1/4 cups sugar with 1/3 cup of water, and boil until syrupy.

http://www.purecajun.com/syrup.htm another thing worth looking into.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Take a good old Traditional British Curry ....yumm

...and Pineapples in Britain?? Where do they grow?

I could give you my Crumble recipe. My wife gets all hot and loving when she smells that cooking. :whistle:

Edited by godsavethequeen

UK-Royal-Standard-HM-Queen.gif

Down With The Monarchy

Nicola, the only place I can get Golden Syrup here is at the British food store. Maybe there's one near you? Might be worth googling for one. :)

TimnBethanie - your Lyle's link isn't working - you can get Lyle's in the US? *looks hopeful but hasn't seen it in NC, only seen Corn syrup marked 'golden' *

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

My hubby was most upset when he examined a bottle of Heinz Ketchup in UK and it wasn't made in Pittsburgh!

Good idea on the party, I might have to try that :)

10 year Green Card received, Next step is citizenship urgh!

When you meet the one you want to spend the rest of your life with,

you can't wait for the rest of your life to begin

TimnBethanie - your Lyle's link isn't working - you can get Lyle's in the US? *looks hopeful but hasn't seen it in NC, only seen Corn syrup marked 'golden' *

Yup definitely available we found it at Wegmans in Erie (think they have more stores heading east) and at the Giant Eagle in Boardman Ohio.

LifeacrossthePond

July 30th USPS delivered

Aug 22nd check cashed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.