usandcanada

Lose Canadian Health Care?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When the Visa is finally approved - (hopefully soon), how soon after my fiance and her children come to the US will she lose her Canadian Health Care? We are planning on being married as soon as she arrives here in the US. I know that I can put her and the children on my health care plan at work, but only after 30 days. She has a child who has brittle bone disease so many things could happen in the first 30 days that may require a hospital stay.

How soon after arriving can they apply for a Social Security Card?

The journey is long - but so worth it!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

Provinces differ, for instance if it is with Alberta a person can buy coverage for 3 months. However, keep in mind that regardless of what the rules are for her province, if the child actually had to go to the hospital in the U.S., what they charge and what would be paid for by health care in Canada are probably miles apart. You should consider buying U.S. Health insurance for that month.

I'm going to move your thread from K1 procedures to the Canada forum, as that is Canada specific and you will get more response, it's also helpful if you can tell us which province they are from.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

Provinces differ, for instance if it is with Alberta a person can buy coverage for 3 months. However, keep in mind that regardless of what the rules are for her province, if the child actually had to go to the hospital in the U.S., what they charge and what would be paid for by health care in Canada are probably miles apart. You should consider buying U.S. Health insurance for that month.

I'm going to move your thread from K1 procedures to the Canada forum, as that is Canada specific and you will get more response, it's also helpful if you can tell us which province they are from.

Yes, she is from Alberta. What is the link to the Canada forum? I am sure there are a lot of things on that forum that we need to know also. I have only come across the US portals.

Never mind - I found it!!

Thanks!

Eric

Edited by usandcanada

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For Ontario, it is when you give up living in Canada and start to live in the US. There is some argument you could make that until she applies for AOS she is still technically a non-immigrant. The only problem is that if hospital treatment is required OHIP generally tries to transfer the individual back to Ontario for treatment as soon as possible for emergency care and I doubt non-emergency care would be covered as that would be expected to be taken care of in Canada. Since the K-1 does not allow the person to leave the US once they enter it could be a dilemma. The best solution is to buy temporary health insurance to cover them between the time they cross the border to the time they can be added to your insurance plan. The other reason for this is that many insurance plans require a person with a pre-existing condition to have been covered by insurance immediately prior to being added to your coverage. I am not sure if the new health care changes have taken place to change this yet or not, but the pre-existing condition could be pre-empted for coverage for one year if there is no insurance prior to be transferred to yours.

Oops - just saw that she is from Alberta so OHIP doesn't apply - the having insurance until she is added to your plan in the US, however, still does.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Not sure if this applies to Alberta----but read online a few weeks back (A canadian newspaper, can't recall which one) that even if ur still covered by ur Cdn healthcare coverage, it does NOT cover that much, and the article highly recommended that you buy other insurance when visiting the USA

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Yes, she is from Alberta. What is the link to the Canada forum? I am sure there are a lot of things on that forum that we need to know also. I have only come across the US portals.

Never mind - I found it!!

Thanks!

Eric

The link to the Alberta Health Care coverage information, when leaving the country is on this page, under the heading "Moving to and from Canada?". You have to contact them for details.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.