ashokbangia

Advance Parole Question

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello!

I have some questions regarding Advance Parole. I understand it is needed to travel outside the US on a K1 visa. Currently, I am a canadian citizen and planning to immigrate to the US under the K1 visa process. Assuming I am able to obtain Advance Parole which allows me to travel outside the United States, I am planning to visit Thailand and India for family wedding. Would I be able to do this having the advance parole however would my canadian passport work as I don't have any status at this point in the US. I am just trying to explore my options and understand the law. Thanks everyone.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello!

I have some questions regarding Advance Parole. I understand it is needed to travel outside the US on a K1 visa. Currently, I am a canadian citizen and planning to immigrate to the US under the K1 visa process. Assuming I am able to obtain Advance Parole which allows me to travel outside the United States, I am planning to visit Thailand and India for family wedding. Would I be able to do this having the advance parole however would my canadian passport work as I don't have any status at this point in the US. I am just trying to explore my options and understand the law. Thanks everyone.

Don't understand your question... Advance Parole has nothing to do with entering Thailand or India on your Canadian passport. It is only about re-entry to the USA. If as a Canadian citizen you need specific entry documents for those countries, advance parole does not or will ever change that.

moving thread to "Working/Travelling during immigration" forum

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Don't understand your question... Advance Parole has nothing to do with entering Thailand or India on your Canadian passport. It is only about re-entry to the USA. If as a Canadian citizen you need specific entry documents for those countries, advance parole does not or will ever change that.

moving thread to "Working/Travelling during immigration" forum

Do not leave US without getting a AP if you are on K-1. There are provisions to reissue a K-1 from US consulate in Canada, but it is at the discretion of the US consulate. K-1 is treated as a serious matter and consulates do not fool around with it. I do not clearly understand your travel plan. If you can elaborate a little bit, i can probably give some suggestions. To start with:

1. Are you in US already?

2. Update your timelines on the I129F approval, K-1 Visa issue/expiry date.

If you are in Canada and have not entered US with your K-1. Then you are free to go wherever you want from Canada with appropriate travel documents. If you are in US on K-1, then i strongly suggested to get married, apply for AOS, AP and EAD. If you are apply for these in CSC, then you should have AP in a few weeks. Some of my friends have got it, hence i am saying.

Hope it helps....

Filed: Other Timeline

The K-1 is a single entry visa, issued to the fiance of a US citizen with the requirement to get married in the petitioning US citizen within 90 days after entering the US of A.

The moment you cross the Canadian/US border and set foot on US soil, it becomes invalid. Then you have all the time in the world to file for adjustment of status (AOS) to lawful permanent resident (LPR). Once your I-94 expires you enter the realm of the mystical, something that has been discussed here ad nausaeum, so we won't go there.

In order to leave the US, you just need your Canadian passport. If you wish to enter the US of A again, however, you'll need to have your AOS petition approved, basically your Green Card in hand before you leave.

As a Canadian citizen, you'll also have to find out what visa requirements there are for India and Thailand. I've never been to Thailand, but I remember that the Republic of India requires a 6-month validity of your passport in order to issue a 6-month tourist visa.

Advance parole will give you an advantage if you don't have to wait for the Green Card to arrive. This will be a very small advantage, because you won't get AP before your AOS has been decided upon.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks everyone for getting back to me. So just to clarify, I am in Canada presently however have a family wedding happening in late November of this year and so my plan was to travel to India (where the wedding is) and also Thailand for a holiday. I am currently scheduled for an interview in a month after which I plan to go to the US. But given that the time is short I am not sure if I will have time to get all the paperwork done so I can leave the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.