suzique3

bringing dog with you at poe

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

thank you everyone this has been very helpful,

I appreciate all the input especially at the ambassador bridge because that is where we are crossing at. As for the barking dog, my dog screams at the top of his lungs (reason for sedative - for him not me)

thank you again :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good Morning!

I bring my dog Nemo every time I travel to the States by car. I am lucky that Michael is only 5 hours away so we get to see each other often. Sometimes Michael brings Nemo back with him without me. Only once did the border guard look at her papers (which are current). She has her tags on her collar. The only thing is that Nemo gets excited when it is our turn and expects a treat from the border guard, whenever we drive through Tim Hortons they give her a treat!

Have a great day!

Hehehe, I think that is so cute! I always thought it was cool that Tim Horton's kept treats for dogs at the drive through window.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I crossed into the US (just as a visitor not a POE) with my pets in Dec, they never asked to see any papers, and I had dog and cat food with me, just enough for a few days of traveling and to get settled, and I never had any issues with that. Because I was going to the US for several months, the CBP gaurd did look through my car and did see the food and never asked anything about it. I guess because it was a smallish amount he figured that it was just for the trip :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know when I crossed over last, (seems like forever ago) when I went across with Sammy (the dog) and I had brought some dog food (it had been bought in the states) the border guard (apparently incorrect terminology) had stated that if I was going to bring dog food with me to bring it in its original package ( I believe so that they can see what it is made of). but then when my fiance was coming this way and was bringing me a bag of food the border guard on the Cdn side said that he would not be able to bring that back across. So I am guessing it all depends on which guard you get.

I am not chancing any problems, the dog food is staying here. I can get more when I go over

I crossed at the Ambassador bridge with my cat and hamster. lol The only time it came up was when the border patrol asked me to keep my car window open so they could get in the car, and I told him I was concerned since it was January and COLD. Then he remembered that I give them my keys anyways so didn't need to leave it open after all. :wacko:

They DID ask me specifically about food, and I told them I just brought a little dry food, which I did, and the BP made a face, but let it go. lol I did have her shots all up to date, but no one asked to see the proof. Though again.. it was a cat, not a dog, so a bit different. Either way, I think you'll be fine. :)

Oh, and I wanted to add... I was really concerned about my cat and our 5 day drive across to California! She HATES car rides and being in her carrier, but after day 2 she settled right in and it was totally fine. I was SO proud of her! :luv: So yeah, never underestimate the strength your pets can muster up when they need to deal with things :)

Edited by ashenflowers

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

I did my POE at Montreal Trudeau's Airport. They didn't ask for her rabbies and health certificates. The only thing they asked for, was at the airlines, 100$US for carrying my dog with me in the cabin of the plane :P

01/12/2011: GreenCard approved!!!!

Green card expiration date: 01/05/2013
Sent ROC package to VSC: 11/16/2012
NOA1: 11/20/2012

Approval: 04/29/2013!!!!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I POE'd at Peace Bridge with my cat. They didn't ask me anything about my cat, but I did want to mention that they were really strict about leaving your pet in the car. They will allow you to walk them, but they would not let anybody bring their pets into the facility.

This is an issue if it's really hot. If you're POEing when it's really hot this summer, you may want to do it early in the morning or later in the evening. They were not sympathetic in any way about leaving pets alone in a hot car.

It sounds like you might have a crate and you could leave the windows open. Or if someone else is with you, perhaps they can stay with your dog.

It turned out ok for me because I ended up POEing in the evening,and it was cool enough to leave him alone. Thank goodness, we were running late. As an aside, my fiance (at the time) was in a separate car and they would not let him stop with me. They told him to park down the road. So, if it had been mid-afternoon, I'm not sure what I would have done.

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.