suzique3

bringing dog with you at poe

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

ok I looked and looked and did not see any reviews for POE with their dog. Has anyone done this before, I really do not have a choice in the matter, since you are not able to return I have to bring him on the same day. I do have all his paper work showing his shots up to date. But just wondering others experiences, since it is a bit of timely process at the ambassador bridge, (especially since we are probably going to be crossing on a saturday afternoon. I know not the best time to do that, but i am limited on dates.

if anyone has some experience in this please share.

thank you :unsure:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good luck with your entry - I don't have any experience to add but I have crossed the border with my dog several times, her shots have all been up to date but no one's ever asked to see them lol.

Anyway, I'll be interested to see other peoples posts cause I'm pretty interested in knowing too!

Timeline

We were told that for pets they had to be up to date on shots etc, and a very recent note from vet saying they are in good general health.

They may inspect the pet to confirm that they 'look' healthy.

Keep in mind that you CANNOT bring pet food with you when you cross.

You will have to buy pet food once you get on the other side.

This is what we were told when we called.

<3 FireRay's Wifey. <3

11-??-2005 : Met Ray in EverQuest2

USCIS
12-26-2009 : Marriage
1-07-2010 : Filed I-130
1-08-2010 : Package Recieved
1-12-2010 : NOA1
3-12-2010 : NOA2
*I-130 was approved in 59 days from NOA1 date.*

NVC
3-19-2010 : NVC Recieved. Case # Assigned
3-22-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator
3-25-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill
3-25-2010 : Applied for EP/DS-3032 e-mailed
3-25-2010 : Pay AOS Bill Online
4-04-2010 : E-mailed I-864
4-08-2010 : EP Accepted/Paid IV Bill
4-12-2010 : E-mailed DS-230
4-16-2010 : All documents accepted at NVC
4-22-2010 : Log in Fail!!
*NVC stage completed in 34 days.*

7-21-2010 : Medical in Toronto
7-26-2010 : INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!
7-28-2010 : Visa received in the mail
8-18-2010 : POE - Ambassador Bridge
9-23-2010 : 2yr Green Card arrived
2-11-2011 : SSN arrived
8-18-2012 : Approx date of removal of conditions

06-2012 : Removal of conditions sent

03-18-12 : 10 year Green Card received!!

Timeline

From the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website:

"Dogs must also be free of evidence of diseases that could be communicable to humans.

- A general certificate of health is not required by CDC for entry of pet dogs into the United States, although some airlines or states may require them.

- Dogs must have a certificate showing they have been vaccinated against rabies greater than or equal to 30 days prior to entry into the United States. This certificate should identify the dog, show the date of vaccination, the date it expires (there are one-year and three-year vaccinations), and be signed by a licensed veterinarian. If the certificate does not have an expiration date, CBP will accept it as long as the dog was vaccinated 12 months or less before coming to the United States. Dogs coming from rabies free countries do not have to be vaccinated".

(for cats there are no shots required for entering the U.S.)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As Trailmix posted, your dog just needs proof of his rabies vaccination and to look like he is healthy when he crosses the border with you. If the dog looks unwell, the border authorities have the right to request a veterinarian to come to the border and inspect the dog, but if he is healthy appearing then there is no need for veterinarian examination.

I moved to the US with my 6 cats in the van with us. No one at the border was interested in the cats - or in any of the possessions I brought with me, in fact. You should be fine. You will probably have to leave the dog in the vehicle while you go in the process the K-1 though.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

oh thank you everyone, I am used to crossing with my dog when I was allowed to go over. (he does not travel that well) I have him a cage when I travel due the fact that he has anxiety issues (this is not a very pleasant experience) I have to sedate him as well, so he looks extremely drowsy. I was just worried about the length of time I will be spending in secondary because he will be in the van and he barks continuously when I stop.

I have his shots up to date (and actaully have his tag for monroe already on him) and I have a document showing the up to date vaccinations and the rabies vaccination as well.

Thank you everyone for the input, anything to try and ease the stress of this next step. :unsure:

Timeline

If you dog has real problems travelling you might want to look into getting this product for the trip: http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B00076NS1U I use the version available for cats and it does help reduce stress. The DAP spray also comes in a collar variation which might be worth considering. It doesn't work for all dogs, but with the ones it does work for, it seems to be very successful.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

If you dog has real problems travelling you might want to look into getting this product for the trip: http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B00076NS1U I use the version available for cats and it does help reduce stress. The DAP spray also comes in a collar variation which might be worth considering. It doesn't work for all dogs, but with the ones it does work for, it seems to be very successful.

thank you very much, Iwill look into it, right now anything, Sammy does not do well in the car and I am so worried about what he will be like sitting there for a long period of time.

thank you again,

Timeline

thank you very much, Iwill look into it, right now anything, Sammy does not do well in the car and I am so worried about what he will be like sitting there for a long period of time.

thank you again,

Yes, we use the cat equivalent of this too, if it works on your dog (you can try it out before you actually travel) you will be amazed. So much better than sedating and if you are staying in a hotel and when you get to your new home it is really helpful to use then as well :)

Timeline

From the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website:

"Dogs must also be free of evidence of diseases that could be communicable to humans.

- A general certificate of health is not required by CDC for entry of pet dogs into the United States, although some airlines or states may require them.

- Dogs must have a certificate showing they have been vaccinated against rabies greater than or equal to 30 days prior to entry into the United States. This certificate should identify the dog, show the date of vaccination, the date it expires (there are one-year and three-year vaccinations), and be signed by a licensed veterinarian. If the certificate does not have an expiration date, CBP will accept it as long as the dog was vaccinated 12 months or less before coming to the United States. Dogs coming from rabies free countries do not have to be vaccinated".

(for cats there are no shots required for entering the U.S.)

Detroit customs told us they want the note when we called inquiring about pets.

<3 FireRay's Wifey. <3

11-??-2005 : Met Ray in EverQuest2

USCIS
12-26-2009 : Marriage
1-07-2010 : Filed I-130
1-08-2010 : Package Recieved
1-12-2010 : NOA1
3-12-2010 : NOA2
*I-130 was approved in 59 days from NOA1 date.*

NVC
3-19-2010 : NVC Recieved. Case # Assigned
3-22-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator
3-25-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill
3-25-2010 : Applied for EP/DS-3032 e-mailed
3-25-2010 : Pay AOS Bill Online
4-04-2010 : E-mailed I-864
4-08-2010 : EP Accepted/Paid IV Bill
4-12-2010 : E-mailed DS-230
4-16-2010 : All documents accepted at NVC
4-22-2010 : Log in Fail!!
*NVC stage completed in 34 days.*

7-21-2010 : Medical in Toronto
7-26-2010 : INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!
7-28-2010 : Visa received in the mail
8-18-2010 : POE - Ambassador Bridge
9-23-2010 : 2yr Green Card arrived
2-11-2011 : SSN arrived
8-18-2012 : Approx date of removal of conditions

06-2012 : Removal of conditions sent

03-18-12 : 10 year Green Card received!!

I POE'de with my dog and 2 cats..I had all their paperwork(including good health certificates for each one) I left them all in the car when I went into activate my visa. No body asked about the pets..didn't ask to see their paperwork or anything...oh and I used the product mentioned above..its amazing! My Border collie at the time was 14(shes 16 1/2 now!)shes a very nervous traveller..we were in the car for 17 hours and it helped alot!

AOS

02/25/08 sent AOS packet

02/26/08 packet received chicago lockbox

03/03/08 NOA(I-485,I765,I131)for daughter and myself

03/09/08 received biometrics appointment letter

03/25/08 RFE recieved for NOA for I129F(USCIS lost it! DOH!)

03/25/08 RFE sent

03/26/08 biometrics appointment(YAY!)

03/26/08 EAD touched(for daughter and myself)

03/28/08 EAD touch again!

04/03/08 RFE received case processing resumes

04/29/08 request AP expedited

05/01/08 AP sent out

05/02/08 case transfered to CSC

05/02/08 EAD card production ordered

05/05/08 EAD card production ordered again

05/10/08 EAD card received

05/16/08 AOS touched

05/18/08 AOS touched again!

06/11/08 AOS card production ordered!

06/16/08 green card received in mail!!

no more USCIS for almost 2 years!!

ROC

04/07/10 sent I-751 to VSC

04/09/10 NOA recieved

04/13/10 cheque cashed

05/17/10 early biometrics

06/29/10 card production ordered

07/10/10 card received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good Morning!

I bring my dog Nemo every time I travel to the States by car. I am lucky that Michael is only 5 hours away so we get to see each other often. Sometimes Michael brings Nemo back with him without me. Only once did the border guard look at her papers (which are current). She has her tags on her collar. The only thing is that Nemo gets excited when it is our turn and expects a treat from the border guard, whenever we drive through Tim Hortons they give her a treat!

Have a great day!

Love Changes Everything

N-400 Process

May 29, 2016 paperwork sent in

June 3, 2016 check cashed! Text message received.

June 2, NOA

June 22, Biometrics

March 3 In Line for Interview

ROC Process

May 8, 2014 paperwork in hands of USCIS,California Service Center!

May 14, 2014 check cashed

June 2, 2014 Biometrics waived

July 16, 2014 10 yr greencard in hand!

AOS Process
September 29, 2011 AOS in hands of USCIS
July 9, 2012 WELCOME TO AMERICA letter!
July 11, 2012 Conditional GreenCard in hand!

K-1 Process
December 18, 2010 Our K-1 package arrived at Homeland Security
August 23, 2011 Approved
September 8, 2011 POE at Grand Portage, MN Border
September 11, 2011 Married!!!

Timeline

we crossed by car with the dogs at detroit / ambassador bridge. CBP did'nt care about anything , just looked at the rabies certificate and that was it. BTW Canadian certificates from vets are alot more detailed than the ones i now get in chicago. they have more info like the name of the actual rabies vacine and how much was administered. with the actual name signature and id of the doctor. the ones i get now are a small 2x2 paper with literally no info other that that they got a rabies shot and a city tag at the same time..kinda craptastic if you ask me.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

I POE'd with my dog at the Peace Bridge. I put him into his crate in the back of my van while I was being processed, he was barking up a storm and not a single official asked me about him! I did have his vaccination history just in case. I brought my two cats down a month later (after my house was sold and I was bringing the last of my things)....again no one even looked at them.

Th first time I was asked about the dog's rabies vaccination was last weekend coming into Canada. :wacko:

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Keep in mind that you CANNOT bring pet food with you when you cross.

You will have to buy pet food once you get on the other side.

This is what we were told when we called.

This is incorrect.

The only thing they are concerned with is if the food you bring has beef and beef byproducts in it, due to the whole overreaction over mad cow disease found in Alberta a few years back. After the Canadian investigators traced the sick cows back to Montana originally, the US conveniently ignored this fact. heh

Anyhow, I took my dogs across a couple times, the ONLY thing they cared about with the food was beef content, nothing else, if it had any, I would have had to ditch it. (was lamb and chicken yay)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.