Knoll

Church marriage after having K-1 visa in hand

37 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

FWIW, Payxibka is a hugely valuable and knowledgable member of VJ and I respect his opinion very much and he was very helpful to me when I was a noob. I see what he is saying, it is not legal in Ukraine and keep your mouth shut and no one will know the difference and he is most likely 100% correct.

I do not like the idea that is being proposed, I feel it is fraud for selfish purposes, but hey, I am not a judgemental guy. Someone can't wait the extra time to be with their lady love from Ukraine (who can blame them for that?) and they want to keep her and her family happy also (good luck with that, you have never had a Ukrainian MIL :lol: )

My suggestion remains the same...don't risk it. I also sincrely doubt you would pull it off and hawould have problems with the church, but i will leave that to you. I respectfully disagree with Payxibka.

Let's be clear... I never told the OP to do this....there are risks and the whole thing can have unintentional consequences if the PERCEPTION that a legal ceremony has occurred.

I simply have been presenting what is legal and recognizable. It is NOT fraud if it is not a legally recognizable marriage.... it is merely a symbolic ceremony to do this ONLY in the church in Ukraine... but that does not mean I would ever recommend this. The OP is a big boy and needs to make that decision on his own based on true facts and balance that against the associated risks

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thank you all for your replies! I am considering all information shared.

It would be great if I could connect with someone who had an "unofficial” wedding ceremony in Ukraine after their fiancée has her visa in hand. Surely, it has been done before.

Of course, I understand we must marry in the USA officially and legally. I respect the process and the entities involved issuing the visas. For those indicating “fraud”, I have no intention of behaving fraudulently. I don’t see how an “unofficial” church ceremony is “fraud” or undermining the system. As I said, I respect the process and the people involved. I plan to take all the proper steps required.

Otherwise, it seems strange to have a church wedding long after you have been legally married and living together. It’s backwards. It just wouldn’t be the same, I think.

All that said, I understand the points implying “why risk it”. I’ll weigh that sentiment in my decision, but will most likely go through with a simple undocumented ceremony as indicated.

TKNoll

It would be great if I could connect with someone who had an "unofficial” wedding ceremony in Ukraine after their fiancée has her visa in hand. Surely, it has been done before.

OK - now that the fire spitting has slowed down, I have something to share. I know two couples who have married in Eastern Europe (one in Ukraine and one in Russia) in church before using the K-1 to marry in America. They both did what you describe above, and waited until the visa was approved - thus mitigating the risk. Good advice about not carrying lots of wedding pics around at POE, but if you have the ceremony after the visa, and the ceremony is not legal in the home country of the beneficiary, it seems that the risk is minimal. Also, no one will likely ask, but you should both be prepared to answer "no" if any one here wants to know if you are married.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

hi i m from romania and i m ortodox i think your fiance is 2 in order to get married in a chirch u need to go at the city hall to get the mariage papers and then she won t be your fiance anymore so she can t enter usa with the k1 visa. look what we are doing my fiance is coming here in august and we got a prist to come and bless the wedding bands at a restaurant i m wering a bride dress and my fiance a costume and everione is coming at the wedding we have a party but no papers is like a simbolic wedding in front of God and her family so they will have the chance to see her in her wedding dress.i hope i helped u.Good luck and God bless you

If God is for us, who can be against us." Romans 8:31

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

WRONG! Unlike Ukraine the US recognizes religious weddings.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I invite a pastor/rabbi/imam over to my house and he says you are married to Mrs. Martyshk now, it doesn't make the marriage official unless the marriage license is signed.

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline

Thanks again everyone for your advice and input. I am grateful.

Understood that there is risk, even if it is tiny, it can be devastating. It has made me rethink things.

For those frustrated replying to the same questions over and over, you do help people each time you “repeat” your information. Your help is not wasted and it helps many more people than just me.

Folks, time to move on and stop the arguing with each other and spewing of unfounded accusations. It’s childlike and not constructive. You are embarrassing yourself.

Thanks again, all the best to you.

TKNoll

Timeline

FWIW, Diana and I will be married in Oregon on August 14th with my family and then travel back to UA (and thence to Babushka in Rostov, RU) for a church wedding with her family next summer. In our case, that seems the easiest thing to do. (And it's what Diana wants so who am I to argue? :lol: )

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.