BC_Ed

The Worst Happens - Denied in Montreal!!

22 posts in this topic

Timeline

So, I fly 3000 miles to the interview and get run around.

The woman who interviewed was basically extremely difficult. Even though we consulted NVC three times about this we were turned down because they would not consider our JOINT assets in Canada and refused to accept that although we still own a home in the US (where my wife has been for the last month) that she was domiciled there. I asked how she expected me to prove that and she had no answer.

We have SEVERAL times the necessary assets but she wouldn't listen to a single damned argument. Why is there an I-864a to take into account the immigrants assets if they won't be considered? NO WAY!! Get a joint sponsor. So off we go. I am to say the least devastated. I am trying to be cool about it but frankly it just sucks. I could have had a joint sponsor but they assured me there was no issue. On more than one occasion the NVC repeated to us that "people in your circumstance won't have the assets in the US - we understand that". Well guess what - someone doesn't. When I called NVC they were apologetic but simply stated that they give their advise based on the general guidelines but any consular officer has the right to set a higher standard if they wish.

So now we are trying to get an I-864 together this week. The consulate assures me that once they get it they will be no more than a week in processing.

I am so dismayed it is not even funny but all I can do is jump the hoop.

I wish I could join in the party but I post this so others can beware.

Timeline

Technically you are correct icey but the letter they hand you says denied. Then it goes on to say that your application will remain in suspension for up to one year or until you provide the necessary info.

Melissa - we had way more than enough money. It is just that the money was not in a US bank but is easily transferable. No I don't have to start over I just have another (unnecessary in this case) hoop to jump.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

I'm concerned now....what kind of assets are necessary for an approval? I thought the sponsor's salary was the asset...not what the amount is in the bank. Am I missing something?

If I make a salary that more than exceeds the 125% poverty mark for sponsoring one person, isn't that all they care about? Or are they checking how much funds you actually have in your bank account?

ONE DAY AT A TIME....

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

12/30/2008: Overnighted I-751 package to VSC

01/06/2009: Check cashed

01/06/2009: NOA (arrived 01/09/09)

01/23/2009: Biometrics appt letter received

01/31/2009: Biometrics scheduled

05/20/2009: APPROVED

06/23/2009: 10 Year Green Card arrived

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Thank you for the clarification. I sincerely hope you find a quick resolution to your problem and get home to your wife very soon!!

ONE DAY AT A TIME....

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

12/30/2008: Overnighted I-751 package to VSC

01/06/2009: Check cashed

01/06/2009: NOA (arrived 01/09/09)

01/23/2009: Biometrics appt letter received

01/31/2009: Biometrics scheduled

05/20/2009: APPROVED

06/23/2009: 10 Year Green Card arrived

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ouch.

I was worried about this at the time too but the frigging process took so long that I was in the US seven months before the interview. This allowed me to establish domicile.

Good luck BCEd.

IR1

April 14, 2004 I-130 NOA1

April 25, 2005 IR1 Received

April 26, 2005 POE Dorval Airport

May 13, 2005 Welcome to America Letters Received

May 21, 2005 PR Card in Mail

May 26, 2005 Applied for SSN at local office

June 06, 2005 SSN Received

June 11, 2005 Driver Licence Issued!

June 20, 2005 Deb gets a Check Card! Just like Donald Trump's!

Citizenship

Jan 30, 2008 N400 Mailed off to the VSC!

Feb 2, 2008 N400 Received at VSC

Feb 6, 2008 Check Cashed!

Feb 13, 2008 NOA1 Received

Feb 15, 2008 Fingerprint letter received. (Feb 26th scheduled)

Feb 18, 2008 Mailed out the old Please Reschedule us for Biometics <sigh>...

Feb 27, 2008 Received the new scheduled biometrics.

Mar 15, 2008 Biometrics Rescheduled.

Sep 18, 2008 Interview Letter Recieved.

Nov 11, 2008 Interview Passed :-).

Nov 14, 2008 Oath Cerimony.

Filed: Timeline
So, I fly 3000 miles to the interview and get run around.

The woman who interviewed was basically extremely difficult. Even though we consulted NVC three times about this we were turned down because they would not consider our JOINT assets in Canada and refused to accept that although we still own a home in the US (where my wife has been for the last month) that she was domiciled there. I asked how she expected me to prove that and she had no answer.

We have SEVERAL times the necessary assets but she wouldn't listen to a single damned argument. Why is there an I-864a to take into account the immigrants assets if they won't be considered? NO WAY!! Get a joint sponsor. So off we go. I am to say the least devastated. I am trying to be cool about it but frankly it just sucks. I could have had a joint sponsor but they assured me there was no issue. On more than one occasion the NVC repeated to us that "people in your circumstance won't have the assets in the US - we understand that". Well guess what - someone doesn't. When I called NVC they were apologetic but simply stated that they give their advise based on the general guidelines but any consular officer has the right to set a higher standard if they wish.

So now we are trying to get an I-864 together this week. The consulate assures me that once they get it they will be no more than a week in processing.

I am so dismayed it is not even funny but all I can do is jump the hoop.

I wish I could join in the party but I post this so others can beware.

I know the employment climate is not good at the moment, and your wife has only been back in the USA for a month, but does she have a job or an offer for a job? Sustaining employment is one element of meeting the sufficiency test.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline

Sure Mermaid - she is a nurse and could be working tomorrow but I think I am safer with the joint sponsor.

I told the officer at the interview I could go out and transfer enough money to the US very quickly. She DID NOT think that was a good idea at all.

It's kinda taken the wind out of my sails and robbed a little joy - but I am shaking it off and if all goes well, we will be through this mess in no time. The kicker is that I have a great job prospect firming up for September.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm truly puzzled, Ed. The law clearly allows for the use of assets and income is NOT a requirement.

If the assets are not disolvable, that's another thing (pension funds etc)

The only argument that would fly is that your wife is not domiciled (which she is). Have you thought about doing a bit of (I mean more, not that you haven't) research and making a call back to discuss this with them? Maybe it's time to speak to the supervisor?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

I did call back frankly and I am a little reluctant to get into too much detail here - who knows who reads this forum. When I called back I got a guy who basically without saying it outright was in disbelief that I had not been approved. He left me on hold and actually talked to the officer and came back and in an indirect way told me to just jump the hoop and it will be over within a week of them getting the joint sponsor application.

I am not sure boat-rocking will really help me.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I did call back frankly and I am a little reluctant to get into too much detail here - who knows who reads this forum. When I called back I got a guy who basically without saying it outright was in disbelief that I had not been approved. He left me on hold and actually talked to the officer and came back and in an indirect way told me to just jump the hoop and it will be over within a week of them getting the joint sponsor application.

I am not sure boat-rocking will really help me.

Gotcha.

Sucks to be in that position, but I understand. Hope it's not too much hassle for you to get the new doc and person together.

mo

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

You are almost there, good luck on the rest of the journey.

K1 Journey:

April 13/06 NOA1 from NSC

June 1/06 - Moved to CSC

August 12/06 APPROVED - NOA2!!

August 28/06 Left NVC. . . Vancouver Bound!

September 27/06 Interview APPROVED, with visa in hand

October 29/06 Moving Date

December 30/06 Married!!

AOS Journey:

January 16/07 Sent out AOS, EAD, and AP docs

January 23/07 NOA1's for AOS, EAD and AP

February 13/07 Biometrics in Portland, OR

April 7/07 EAD and AP Received

April 24/07 Interview Scheduled . . . and APPROVED, stamp and all!

May 7/07 Greencard is in my hands!

ROC Journey:

February 17/09 Sent I-751 to CSC

February 18/09 NOA1

March 14/09 Biometrics appt.

April 22/09 Date of Approval!!

June 25/09 Greencard arrives in the mail!

*Everything I post is just my .02 cents, seek a lawyer for anything beyond that.*

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
Technically you are correct icey but the letter they hand you says denied. Then it goes on to say that your application will remain in suspension for up to one year or until you provide the necessary info.

Melissa - we had way more than enough money. It is just that the money was not in a US bank but is easily transferable. No I don't have to start over I just have another (unnecessary in this case) hoop to jump.

Sorry -- I didnt think that you actually got a slip that says DENIED on it!

Wow how discouraging!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.